Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 04:55 PM

878 posts, read 1,206,787 times

Advertisements

In my housing search, I've stumbled across a few options (1 and 2 bedrooms) for under $100K in the western suburbs (Chanhassen, St Louis Park and Hopkins) that might be a much more affordable option than renting (though I wouldn't necessarily advise jumping in and buying unless and until you know that this is where you'd like to stay-- and, of course, you'd need money for a down payment unless you'd qualify for some incentives, which you very well might).

As far as renting, I don't really know the prices, but I would assume that a couple of quick searches (and asking people on here to determine whether they're safe areas) will tell you pretty quickly whether you can find affordable housing in an area that you're happy with.

Winter clothing can be found for next to nothing-- I was able to find brand name (The North Face, Columbia, etc) off season on eBay for my kids for less than Target on clearance. I found snowpants for under $10 shipped (Columbia brand) and TNF down jackets for under $20 shipped and TNF 3-in-1s for $30ish shipped for my kids and I just scored a Columbia ski jacket for my husband for under $10 shipped-- it just took a bit of patience (as UU mentioned, you can also do very well at garage sales, thrift stores, and Facebook has a TON of very active 'garage sale' sites in the Cities where I've scored TONS of clothing for my growing kids for pennies on the dollar. Plus, we grabbed some great, warm and waterproof gloves and mittens at Costco for under $10/pair that will last for years.

Truthfully, even after moving from a vastly different climate (from FL to MN)-- I don't find that my family dresses all that differently-- we wear more or less what we always wore in FL in the 'colder' months (jeans and a tee) plus a sweatshirt topped by a coat, boots, hat and gloves. The other upside is that you really only need boots in the winter-- both for adults and boots, so my kids actually needed fewer pairs of shoes this winter than ever before.

Food costs here tend to be a bit higher than some other areas in the country, at least at first glance, but between Costco and ALDI, it's not terribly difficult to eat well (and healthy!) without spending a fortune.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 06:31 PM

141 posts, read 160,358 times
I am looking to relocate to the cities as well, and you can find a one bedroom apartment for 700-800 a month relatively easy. Usually, the rent includes water, heating, and trash, so you would only have to cover electricity/cable/internet on top of that. Some offer garage parking for 30-50 dollars a month.

Old 02-24-2015, 02:10 PM

170 posts, read 234,983 times
Thank you all so much for these responses. They have absolutely helped me with running the numbers to see if it's doable for the lifestyle I want for myself and my child. I'm on a fixed income (disabled vet) and one major goal is to change that, but it will take some time, which is why the yearly income isn't going to change for a bit. I really want to live up in this area. We'll see what compromises I'm willing and able to make. Thanks again, y'all!

Old 02-24-2015, 04:47 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,464,114 times
It's doable, but hard to say if you want to do it.

All in, the Twin Cities are going to be about 20% more expensive than San Antonio, and you'll take home less income due to state taxes. Although I don't know how that works with your disabled vet status. Increased rent is the biggest expense, followed by more expensive groceries. The southwest has great prices on healthy food such as fresh produce, and it is available year round.

To give an example of housing costs, I live in a nice new apartment in a pretty good area for keeping fit, near the intersection of a bunch of bike trails, hiking trails and parks. My apartment is about 770 sq feet and is $1425/m.

Another thing to consider is that a lot of the outdoors fitness stuff doesn't make sense with an infant kid. Especially in winter. You aren't going to be ice jogging with a baby. People mention winter cycling, but for the most part, winter changes bicycling from a fitness activity to a very slow, unpleasant and dangerous means of transportation.

Thus, you probably will be inside at the YMCA or another gym. I actually belong to both. YMCA mainly for basketball and another gym for weightlifting. Cost of YMCA is $60/m and the other gym is $40/m.

Overall it's pretty nice though, and generally seems like one of the better places to stay fit, outside of say, Boulder or some place like that.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:30 PM

321 posts, read 860,886 times
The Cost of Living map shows a bubble surrounding the Twin Cities, and an even greater bubble surrounding Chicago. Outstate MN, WI, and IL are next less expensive, then you have eastern SD and ND and IA and then MO is the cheapest in the area I'm familiar with.

FWIW, Kansas City and St. Louis do not have the COL bubbles that the Twin Cities and Chicago have. Of course, jobs are harder to come by there too.

Anybody with low to moderate income considering relocating to the Twin Cities should question whether there is something specific the TC has to offer that justifies the extra cost of living. Many people would be just as happy living in smaller cities in low-COL states like Fargo, Sioux Falls, Des Moines, Cedar Rapids, Quad Cities, maybe even Omaha.

I'm also worried about the COL continuing to increase pretty fast here in years to come. We're making national news as being affordable, and the similar thing is happening in Pittsburgh, last I heard it was next to impossible to find an apartment in Pittsburgh and rents are increasing substantially in the Twin Cities because more people want to rent instead of own now. We may not be affordable for long.

I love living in the Twin Cities, but it's for a specific set of reasons that are irrelevant to most people. There are also specific things I hate about it, but compared to pretty much any other American city, it scores the highest for all goods and bads combined. For me. You may have different values and needs.

Old 02-27-2015, 12:26 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,695,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeamish View Post
The Cost of Living map shows a bubble surrounding the Twin Cities, and an even greater bubble surrounding Chicago. Outstate MN, WI, and IL are next less expensive, then you have eastern SD and ND and IA and then MO is the cheapest in the area I'm familiar with.

FWIW, Kansas City and St. Louis do not have the COL bubbles that the Twin Cities and Chicago have. Of course, jobs are harder to come by there too.

Anybody with low to moderate income considering relocating to the Twin Cities should question whether there is something specific the TC has to offer that justifies the extra cost of living. Many people would be just as happy living in smaller cities in low-COL states like Fargo, Sioux Falls, Des Moines, Cedar Rapids, Quad Cities, maybe even Omaha.

I'm also worried about the COL continuing to increase pretty fast here in years to come. We're making national news as being affordable, and the similar thing is happening in Pittsburgh, last I heard it was next to impossible to find an apartment in Pittsburgh and rents are increasing substantially in the Twin Cities because more people want to rent instead of own now. We may not be affordable for long.

I love living in the Twin Cities, but it's for a specific set of reasons that are irrelevant to most people. There are also specific things I hate about it, but compared to pretty much any other American city, it scores the highest for all goods and bads combined. For me. You may have different values and needs.
Very solid post. Measured advice that the OP should take into account. I, too, would recommend places like KC, Des Moines, etc. for someone earning $36k a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul