Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 10:46 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times

Advertisements

This is a forum. People debate things. You offer one opinion, I offer another. Sometimes they'll match, sometimes they won't. And I point out that your experience has been different than mine, and vice-versa. What's wrong with that? Seems like that gives people a more comprehensive view than if they ONLY heard from one person's experience. That's not a "correction" -- it's a discussion. It's also not "passive aggressive." Or do any disagreements count as aggressive, and it's only "passive" because I'm not calling you names? I'm not out to get you or angry or hostile; I just think you've had a limited experience of the Twin Cities, and think there's an entire other viewpoint out there that the OP (or others reading this) also deserve to hear. Just like you presumably think they should hear about the boring, conservative side that you've been experiencing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2015, 11:08 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,465,381 times
Well, I never said anything about Minneapolis being boring or conservative. You say I've had a limited experience, even though I've lived here for 6 years and I'm from Minnesota and my grandparents have lived here for 50, so I've experienced the place my whole life. You put words in my mouth and then in a roundabout manner suggest I can't possibly know what I'm talking about. That is what I mean by passive aggressive.

Old 03-01-2015, 11:42 AM

878 posts, read 1,207,746 times
The point is (other than my admittedly snarky comment) that it was a respectful discussion where people largely agreed with most of your observations and then provided facts and data to support where they disagreed with you-- to which, you replied "whatever" and denigrated an entire state full of diverse people (okay, not as diverse as some states, but still).

If you're unhappy here, then by all means move-- it's not for everyone (and it's in no ways perfect, as no place is), but I fear that you're likely going to be unhappy no matter where you go if you can't partake in what was not even close to an antagonistic discuss without throwing out a "whatever" like a petulant teenager. I wish you well in your endeavors (no sarcasm, I genuinely mean that) and hope that you're able to relocate to an area that suits you better. Peace.

Old 03-01-2015, 12:12 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,708,482 times
What's the old adage - if everyone around you is crazy there's only I e thing they all have in common...

Old 03-01-2015, 12:54 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,197,275 times
FWIW: if someone wants to state their opinion with no opposition/disagreement, he or she can always do a blog instead.

Last edited by chessgeek; 03-01-2015 at 01:04 PM..

Old 03-01-2015, 03:43 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
We ALL have limited experience -- our own experiences. And I thought you said you moved back only 18 months ago? And grew up in Bemidji, which is nowhere near Minneapolis? (And what difference does it make where your grandparents lived?) In any case, yes, I did assume that "normal" and "average" was code for boring (my mistake. Sorry about that; that was my personal preferences shining through, and you're right that I should not have assumed that average equated boring.), and the references to being politically moderate and church-going Vikings superfans equated to conservative. So yeah, I paraphrased a bit, as that was the impression I was getting, fair or not.

I do think that for a few things -- growth rates, for example -- you don't know what you're talking about. For the personal judgement side, you have your own, opinion (and yes, it IS limited; limited by the places you live, work, and spend your time), and it sounded like you'd only lived here 18 months in recent years, and while that's certainly long enough to have an opinion shaped by personal experience, it also means there's presumably also much you still haven't done or seen, stuff that may change your opinion, particularly on the "weird" side of things. You are one person with one experience. Same thing for me. But our experiences are different, and yours is not any more valid than mine. Or mine than yours.

And with that, I will just let this go. We have different opinions on some aspects of the Bay Area versus Minneapolis (and agree on others), and that's fine.

Old 03-01-2015, 04:03 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeney View Post
Not considering the living cost though. Culture-wise, weather, education, life style, medical-wise. Bay area is like the cities near San Fransisco.
Yea. Lived in the SB for 16 yrs. Santa Clara, Sunnyvale, Milpitas, San Jose... I love Minnesota compared to those crap holes....

Old 03-01-2015, 04:28 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,465,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
We ALL have limited experience -- our own experiences. And I thought you said you moved back only 18 months ago? And grew up in Bemidji, which is nowhere near Minneapolis? (And what difference does it make where your grandparents lived?)
Like I said, I went to Macalester, so I was here for 4 years. And my grandparents live here, so if I add up the amount of summers, christmas and weekends and holidays I've spent here it's about an additional 12 years. Is almost 18 years in total enough time to be allowed to form an opinion on the area? What's the threshold?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul