Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 01:03 PM

871 posts, read 1,084,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWCM7950 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarverKris
And you may get a little disheartened by how liberal the media, schools and general politics are in this state if you are not pretty middle of the road or leaning to the left, but this is a minor thing to most folks and you can always change the channel if you want, it is just a little harder to do that in MN especially in Minneapolis and some of immediate suburbs.

It is fine to live with folk that have beliefs that are different then yours, that is what makes this country great, but increasingly folks that are not very liberal in their beliefs are criticized and threatened or at least silenced and this is getting a little worse over time
This is why Trump has such a huge following...yes white Americans are fed up with the anti-white, genocidal war being waged against them. And it is rather apparent in MN/Twin Cities area. Having a mayor actually wear a habib? LOL.........Having schools ban Valentine's Day so as not to offend the muslims? Your kids will be growing up in a different country, probably one in which they will have to pray at noon if things continue down this path.

CarverKris complains about liberal intolerance, and how you can't say anything without being attacked by liberals.

Then CarverKris gets attacked for not being conservative enough by a conservative.

I wonder if it's possible that this is a learning experience for CarverKris? I don't intend to bet on it, but maybe that's because I'm such an intolerant liberal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2016, 02:45 PM

776 posts, read 1,058,319 times
Amazing how a post can take a political turn! My post was not influenced by political views nor did I want it to go there.

at 37 years old, I don't even know if I am conservative or liberal anymore. I refer to remain open-minded. You all crack me up.... I am actually take in a bit how people can be so negative toward certain things. Always amazes me. One thing that I was always taught in school, life, work, etc.... you have to listen to the issue, repeat the problem so you all understand, offer some resolve, and find a balance. what does that have to do with anything? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!

Anyway, so back to my OP....

To the people who moved to MN from CA, do you ever just miss the warm weather and think that youd love to be back in CA or someplace else if you could? I think that's been our problem. We have options to go other places all the time. So its hard when we sit down and say "well, we could go back to MN and hate the weather 6 months a year, but be around family. OR we could move to location X and be warm all year, and appreciate the outdoors and lifestyle"

Just seems like we have almost come back to MN a dozen times and then get nervous and bail on that idea every time

Old 02-18-2016, 02:52 PM

102 posts, read 116,078 times
Yes, the main reasons I'm not that into Minnesota anymore are almost all environmental. If I'm in a cold environment, I'd at least like to be in the mountains so I can go snowboarding. If I'm in a hot environment, I'd like to be able to go to the beach. I've tried Atlanta and Tucson each for six months; they ultimately aren't for me either. My career can have me living in Switzerland, so I'm going to try that in the summer. That said I do like MN, just not as much as I did when I was a kid and teenager.

Old 02-18-2016, 08:58 PM

168 posts, read 255,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtloucks View Post

To the people who moved to MN from CA, do you ever just miss the warm weather and think that youd love to be back in CA or someplace else if you could? I think that's been our problem. We have options to go other places all the time. So its hard when we sit down and say "well, we could go back to MN and hate the weather 6 months a year, but be around family. OR we could move to location X and be warm all year, and appreciate the outdoors and lifestyle"

Just seems like we have almost come back to MN a dozen times and then get nervous and bail on that idea every time
I lived in northern CA. Winter into November and sometimes December (in MN, sometimes SD) reminds me of winter in Sacramento. Slightly cold, really damp and rain. About the only time I long for somewhere warm is about January for a couple of weeks but it is more of how nice it would be to be in Phoenix for a week just to not be cold and achy. Other than having arthritis that bothers me in the winter I don't find winter to be a huge problem.

Old 02-18-2016, 11:01 PM

113 posts, read 133,032 times
I feel your pain! SUCH a hard decision. I'm currently debating this... I love the Bay Area where I currently live (except the housing costs), but I miss my family SO MUCH. It doesn't seem like I see them enough... I'm so homesick for my parents/siblings. Why can't I have it both ways? I'd love if they saw what a great state CA is... and moved here to be closer to me! Maybe Sacramento or San Diego (I think those cities are very comparable to the Twin Cities). I have been thinking of moving back, but there are a few reasons I dislike MN:

1) can't stand the 'MN nice' - so annoying! I couldn't stand this when I was a kid, either. I prefer to know how people feel. I don't like how people are not upfront in MN... the Bay Area has lots of flakes, but people are open to hanging out/getting to know new people and usually let you know where you stand

2) the weather! UGH! The. Worst. January, Feb. and March are MISERABLE. MN is wonderful the rest of the year (I love fall and spring especially -- the summers can get a bit hot/humid, but overall they're nice). I get depression during the winter months.

3) driving in winter weather... I haven't been in a car accident since being out here. It's so much easier when you're not dealing with black ice, blizzards, snow...

Now for the positives: MSP ROCKS! It's like Northern Europe -- I can't express what perfection the metro is... 2nd highest life expectancy, amazing healthcare (medical manufacturing obviously.. but also innovation in medical treatments/research at the U of M), 'access' to healthcare is great, fantastic k-12 schools, very low crime, phenomenal COL -- high wages with low housing costs, great arts scene - NE MPLS, Lowertown in STP, North Loop, Uptown, both downtowns, easy transportation system, etc.

Once I have kids I will probably move back (maybe!)... we'll see... or maybe do the summer months in MN and winter in CA -- if I'm virtual. We'll see.

I feel your pain! I think it really depends on your situation -- in MN, your kids and yourself will have access to lots of amazing opportunities. I'd say this is not the case in other areas of the country (even in CA...). For example, great schools and healthcare come at a huge cost in CA, where MN seems to distribute these services equitably... not as much difference between rich/poor in MN -- which is a GOOD THING. In other areas of the country it sometimes feels like you're in a less developed country.

Old 02-18-2016, 11:10 PM

113 posts, read 133,032 times
Born in St. Paul and raised in White Bear...

I've moved:

MSP -> Eau Claire, WI -> Madison, WI -> London -> Madison, WI -> Milwaukee, WI -> MSP -> San Francisco area

I always end up coming back because.. family! So difficult. I think it's one of the hardest decisions (of course, if you have a good relationship w/ them -- there are family members I'd prefer to be away from... like many people!)

I always ask myself whyyyyyyyy.... why does my family love living in the arctic? LOL. My only complaint with MSP is the weather. But that is a big one! The winter is dreadful.

Old 02-19-2016, 05:55 AM

776 posts, read 1,058,319 times
I think the hardest part for me is that I keep saying, "if I didn't have family or friends in MN,I would never move there in a million years."

My family is always so miserable living there. Of its not the frigid winters it's the humid summer. They complain for hours on the phone sometimes about other things too that I'll choose not to get into but they are certainly correct. So my question to them is always the same.... Why not move? They all want to move, but won't. So my fear is that if we did go back, then some of them or all of them will start to trickle away like they've been talking about. We have a lot of friends there but those relationships aren't the Same anyway. It's nice to have the friends in the picture too but we would be moving back for family. We have good friends all over the country now. So if it were just for friends, I'd go back to Chariotte.

I just can't see the value of living in Mn behind being closer to family. Im not debating that there are many positives about the state, those just make me love it there. I feel that is get about 6 months in and want to punch myself in the face for moving back.

In 2009 we did actually move back for 6 months. It was a great feeling to be back after being gone for 5 years. And we had all these plans. Then my wife's father got sick and passed away very unexpectedly and then winter set in, we got some offers to Coke back to Charlotte and we left. That was kind of a messy circumstance and we were heart broke over loser her father and wanted to just run. So it was easy to leave. But we also got our first brush of winter again and got scared into leaving because we hate the cold so much. I think now we are in a position where we are deciding what's best for us and our boys. Trying not to let winter scare us anymore. We live in Denver so the snow and cold filled winter is ending here. But we also know all the bad things that come with winter besides cold and snow...
Shoveling, scraping Windows, sweeping roofs on houses, car accidents, dead batteries, going off the roads, bad drivers, and also how Minnesota is a huge refugee state which don't get me wrong, I grew up around plenty of minority groups and have many friends of all different backgrounds so it doesn't bother me, but some of the challenges that don't ever seem to get corrected do bother me like Drivrs license and the money provided to them for as long as it is, the free taxes and health care etc. I don't agree with it. These would never stop me from moving there, but it does concern me a

Old 02-19-2016, 08:34 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,154,082 times
So if global climate change continues to progress and Minneapolis becomes a much warmer place, with weather similar to current-day KC (so the projections have shown), would people then be complaining about the heat in the summer, OR would they continue to complain about the (relative to the rest of the US) cold winters? Or would it be ideal then?

Old 02-19-2016, 08:42 AM

23,769 posts, read 28,939,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
So if global climate change continues to progress and Minneapolis becomes a much warmer place, with weather similar to current-day KC (so the projections have shown), would people then be complaining about the heat in the summer, OR would they continue to complain about the (relative to the rest of the US) cold winters? Or would it be ideal then?

we'd scoff at those having to endure those brutal Flin Flon winters year after year

Old 02-19-2016, 02:16 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,698,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I don't know but this winter felt so much like a Chicago winter it was bizarre. Barely noticed I had moved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul