Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2015, 09:26 PM

3 posts, read 3,255 times

Advertisements

I'm an Indian citizen who just completed his PhD and moved here to join 3M R&D (3M is my first full time job) last weekend from Fairfax, VA (7.5+ years there). Three things strike me at the moment:
a) the amount of space available (currently in Woodbury)
b) the low rent
c) the Minnesotan accent

I don't mind the cold as most people do and considering that I'm a suburb kind of guy, I hope and think that I'll like Minnesota. I would like to get some must visit food places in Twin Cities list, cuisine doesn't matter, quality does
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 03:34 AM

442 posts, read 593,722 times
Welcome to Minnesota. I have a cousin in 3M R&D — he says he gets paid to play with goo.

As for food, I suggest Bar La Grassa in Minneapolis, Punch Pizza anywhere (there's one in Woodbury), and Catrinas Mexican Restaurant in Oakdale.

Old 03-17-2015, 03:57 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
what do you mean by Minnesota accent anyways?

Old 03-17-2015, 08:17 AM

6,556 posts, read 7,136,101 times
Jax Cafe in NE Mpls for a nicer meal. Sit on the patio once it's warm enough, it's phenomenal!

Jax Cafe

Old 03-17-2015, 09:21 AM

2,578 posts, read 2,070,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matuag View Post
I'm an Indian citizen who just completed his PhD and moved here to join 3M R&D (3M is my first full time job) last weekend from Fairfax, VA (7.5+ years there). Three things strike me at the moment:
b) the low rent
c) the Minnesotan accent

I don't mind the cold as most people do and considering that I'm a suburb kind of guy, I hope and think that I'll like Minnesota. I would like to get some must visit food places in Twin Cities list, cuisine doesn't matter, quality does
Welcome. As you may have already learned, there are a lot of chain restaurants in Woodbury.

Keeping it close, though ...

Woodbury:
Punch Pizza - local chain, all are great, we are lucky to have one in Woodbury
Woodbury Cafe - good breakfast place, no idea about other meals
Keys Cafe - again, good breakfast place; I am less-than-impressed with their other meals
Thanh Truc - good ietnamese and Chinese, takeout and dine-in
Duc's - good Vietnamese and Chinese (there is one near 3M, you've likely already been taken there by other Mers)

Stillwater:
Phil's Tara Hideaway - great, but they don't do lunch.
Chilcoot Cafe - good breakfast, great coffee

Bayport:
Bayport BBQ - good BBQ, great music
La Conchita - good Mexican
Not Justa Cafe - good breakfast, expect a line

Afton:
Current - good burgers
Selma's - no food, but an ice cream shop you will visit

Lake Elmo:
Lake Elmo Inn - Sunday brunch buffet

Oakdale:
D-Spot - BBQ (never been there, but gets great reviews ... next to Duc's)

Hudson, WI:
The Nova Wine Bar - funky, eclectic little place with a great tap beer list (next door is the Casanova, a fantastic beer and liquor shop ... Woodbury is surrounded by great beer shops with that, the Four Firkins in Oakdale, Dennis Brothers in Cottage Grove)
Brick's Neopolatian Pizza - similar to Punch style

Old 03-17-2015, 11:37 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,443,841 times
Amsterdam in downtown St. Paul is my favorite brunch in the metro.

Old 03-17-2015, 02:57 PM

100 posts, read 122,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matuag View Post
I'm an Indian citizen who just completed his PhD and here to join 3M R&D (3M is my first full time job) last weekend from Fairfax, VA (7.5+ years there). Three things strike me at the moment:
b) the low rent
c) the Minnesotan accent

Good luck on your adventure. We're in the D.C. area and might be going to the TC. I don't know how long you've been there, but I thought I'd pick your brain about the two places.

How would you compare traffic, shopping, general attitudes?
How quickly did you find a place to rent/buy?
How has the transition gone?

Again, best of luck.

Old 03-17-2015, 05:18 PM

3 posts, read 3,255 times
Thank you for the suggestions everybody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
what do you mean by Minnesota accent anyways?
As a non-native speaker, it feels like that many people tend to stress on the vowel like sounds (Woodbury sounds like Woodburyyy...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckaroo17 View Post
Good luck on your adventure. We're in the D.C. area and might be going to the TC. I don't know how long you've been there, but I thought I'd pick your brain about the two places.

How would you compare traffic, shopping, general attitudes?
How quickly did you find a place to rent/buy?
How has the transition gone?

Again, best of luck.
After DC, I find MN (or rather the Saint Paul suburbs) a little empty (due to the lower population density). Traffic's much better, 10 miles via interstate actually takes 10 minutes (you know how bad 66 & 495 are ).
I arrived here last Sunday and found a place to rent from April yesterday, so it wasn't a problem for me (perhaps being single helps there). My temp housing is at a convenient location(//www.city-data.com/forum/38844841-post3.html), so I haven't faced any problems yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul