Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 07:40 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,161,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wushuliu View Post
Well you are hedging quite a bit now with 'usually', 'some', 'similar' and 'tend'. So what cultures exactly are you talking about cause you just got hella vague.
I'm not hedging at all. Life isn't black and white (pun intended). So the words 'some' and 'similar' apply because there are no absolutes. There are demographics and cultural treads inside of all colors of skin. In the end of the day, they are where they are for a reason inside of a capitalist society. Then it's human nature for stereotypes to develop in which make it easier or harder for someone to succeed. We all prejudge. The only debate is how much.

So Asian cultures in the USA that are kicking butt are the Taiwanese, Korean, Chinese, and Vietnamese communities. Asian cultures that are not faring so well are the Hmongs, Cambodians, and Laos. There are a multitude of reasons for why this is happening. My point was the motivated family culture is the great equalizer. Until you fix that problem (from within) it's not going to matter how much money you spend on education, waste $$'s on welfare, etc. We see it in the stats. Cut paste repeat in the white communities (Massachusetts versus Mississippi) or Jews versus Muslims. There are cultures who simply out perform others and it can be changed but not by throwing money at the problem. I think that approach has compounded the problem.

But you are all knowing so I'm sure you will correct me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2015, 10:47 AM

4 posts, read 4,001 times
I hate that some young and older blacks always hang around downtown Minneapolis with no destination, no purpose, really just watching people passing (especially on Nicollet and where the bus stops are (#5, 19) and creating havoc in the downtown library.

It makes the area of the city so unattractive to me. I wish there would be more of a police presence permantely so these people will go back to where they live and not hang out downtown.

I hate this area because of that and plan to move in a year from after my impression was formed here 2 months after I arrived.

I am a black person from Chicago and these blacks here so embarass me. They supposedly come here for a better life from the violence in chicago but they keep their ghetto ways. They don't teach thier kids to be better than them and there is just a pathetic trifiling cycle of blacks that whites and other races want to get away from.

I came here because I was offered a job at a large educational institution, the rents are much lower, but will be gone by the end of 2016.

There is opportunity here that is not being taken advantage of by us. But we want to stay pathetic.....TOO BAD.

Old 09-14-2015, 03:01 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,548,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEE2015 View Post
I hate that some young and older blacks always hang around downtown Minneapolis with no destination, no purpose, really just watching people passing (especially on Nicollet and where the bus stops are (#5, 19) and creating havoc in the downtown library.

It makes the area of the city so unattractive to me. I wish there would be more of a police presence permantely so these people will go back to where they live and not hang out downtown.

I hate this area because of that and plan to move in a year from after my impression was formed here 2 months after I arrived.

I am a black person from Chicago and these blacks here so embarass me. They supposedly come here for a better life from the violence in chicago but they keep their ghetto ways. They don't teach thier kids to be better than them and there is just a pathetic trifiling cycle of blacks that whites and other races want to get away from.

I came here because I was offered a job at a large educational institution, the rents are much lower, but will be gone by the end of 2016.

There is opportunity here that is not being taken advantage of by us. But we want to stay pathetic.....TOO BAD.
Come check out Atlanta, San Diego, or even parts of Denver if you want to see people hanging around doing nothing. The 'problem' is no where near as bad in Minneapolis.

Old 09-20-2015, 08:00 PM

416 posts, read 560,104 times
Quote:

I'd spend time debunking your post, but all that needs to be said is that there is zero scientific basis for race. 'Race' does not exist. It is a social and political construct that changes at any given place or time in history. If you have even a modest concept of other cultures across the globe you will see that these 'trifling' blacks are not that much different in how they are perceived and stigmatized than say Gypsies in Europe or the 'untouchable' class in India. In fact you could make a strong case that those others are treated far worse. Those are just two random examples. The same stupid arguments about them being inferior, violent, less educated, ignorant blah blah blah.

All these marginalized groups share a common problem: the dominant culture refuses to take responsibility for the implicit bias that permeates any discussion of progress. Including bias from voices within these marginalized communities.

So if you feel embarrassed because of these trifling blacks then you should also feel embarrassed for much of the poor people in the so-called civilized world. Maybe spend some time to get a global understanding of the the symptoms of poverty and prejudice. Every culture has someone at the bottom and every culture makes up some excuse as to why those at the bottom belong there, whether it's skin color, religion, political affiliation, on and on. America isn't special in its ignorance about prejudice, it's just more obsessed about skin color than most.

Last edited by wushuliu; 09-20-2015 at 08:08 PM..

Old 09-22-2015, 11:20 AM

520 posts, read 775,902 times
Quote:

This post is painfully accurate.

Minneapolis has a horrendous achievement gap between the black and white populations as a whole. The area described by the poster serves as a big, bright neon billboard that advertises this ugly fact in one of the most visible and visited parts of our city.

While it's convenient and comforting to toe the PC line and spout off about not seeing color and so on, unless you are visually impaired, it is impossible to notice.

If the Nicollet Mall was your first introduction to Minneapolis/Minnesota/America, you would think it was the most racially backward/segregated/divided place on the planet.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:28 AM

520 posts, read 775,902 times
Quote:
I'd spend time debunking your post, but all that needs to be said is that there is zero scientific basis for race. 'Race' does not exist. It is a social and political construct that changes at any given place or time in history. If you have even a modest concept of other cultures across the globe you will see that these 'trifling' blacks are not that much different in how they are perceived and stigmatized than say Gypsies in Europe or the 'untouchable' class in India. In fact you could make a strong case that those others are treated far worse. Those are just two random examples. The same stupid arguments about them being inferior, violent, less educated, ignorant blah blah blah.

All these marginalized groups share a common problem: the dominant culture refuses to take responsibility for the implicit bias that permeates any discussion of progress. Including bias from voices within these marginalized communities.

So if you feel embarrassed because of these trifling blacks then you should also feel embarrassed for much of the poor people in the so-called civilized world. Maybe spend some time to get a global understanding of the the symptoms of poverty and prejudice. Every culture has someone at the bottom and every culture makes up some excuse as to why those at the bottom belong there, whether it's skin color, religion, political affiliation, on and on. America isn't special in its ignorance about prejudice, it's just more obsessed about skin color than most.
What an unnecessarily condescending bunch of nonsense. Pseudo intellectual pshyco babble like this prevents reasonable people from having honest conversations about important topics.

Thank you for your attempt to educate us primative and provincial folk with all of your awesome worldliness.

Old 09-26-2015, 01:36 PM

446 posts, read 709,391 times
Quote:

Denial is not just a river in Egypt, apparently.

Old 09-26-2015, 06:19 PM

119 posts, read 144,947 times
"I am a black person from Chicago and these blacks here so embarass me. They supposedly come here for a better life from the violence in chicago but they keep their ghetto ways."--LEE2015

I'm white and feel something familiar when I'm outside a convenience store in more rural, whiter areas. To say nothing of crossing a parking lot in a mostly lower class white frontage road district. IMO, there are significant percentages of both the 'white' and the 'black' population that can be rather embarrassing. As a society we've done a fine job creating persons in states of arrested development.

And for what it's worth, wushuliu is on to something but uses the voice of the holier-than-thou.

Old 09-27-2015, 10:08 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times
"Youth" is the new euphemism in Minneapolis for thug.

Old 09-27-2015, 11:58 PM

413 posts, read 789,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
"Youth" is the new euphemism in Minneapolis for thug.
Thug is almost always used as a euphemism for young black men, so the end result is pretty much the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul