U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2015, 06:16 PM

221 posts, read 274,519 times

Advertisements

Help needed! Here's the deal:

I moved to the twin cities in 2010. I lived for a year near Lake Calhoun, for two years in Burnsville, and I'm going on my second year living in Plymouth. I'm 28 years old, a teacher, and not married. My boyfriend lives in northeast and I want to be closer to him and OUT OF THE SUBURBS. The last four years spent in the suburbs has really shown me that I am not ready to be settled in the suburbs, especially since I am not married and don't have kids. All my moving around the past 5 years was due to me changing jobs and simply finding housing near those jobs. I no longer have the job that took me to Plymouth and have decided that this time around, my priority is choosing where I live based on WHERE I WANT TO LIVE and not based on where my job is (which I am currently job searching for next school year...I could still end up anywhere in the twin cities area).

So my biggest question is: where are some cool/fun/hip areas I should be searching for apartments in?! I don't need to be in northeast, and I don't want to be downtown. I really only know that uptown is pretty hip, and I don't necessarily have to be there either. I have always lived in pretty modern/large apartment buildings (that's the suburbs for you) so I'm interested in finding a place with more character and charm, whether it's a small/old/vintage apartment building or a room in a house or duplex situation. I just feel very directionless and would love some advice.

I am currently on a month-to-month rent at my apartment, and would love to move somewhere in June.

Thanks for your help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 08:03 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,298,536 times
Basically for "cool/fun/hip" there is Uptown, Whittier and Northeast.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:58 PM

878 posts, read 1,037,539 times
I would advise that you still try to determine where you're going to be working before selecting an apartment which might create a hellish commute for you.. especially if you can stay month-to-month for a while yet.

Trust me, I totally get wanting to live where you want to live, but you can get the vibe that you're looking for in a number of places in both Minneapolis and St Paul, withOUT potentially commuting across one or even two cities. That fun/hip vibe is a lot less fun when you are facing 60-90 minutes of bumper to bumper a day each way! So to be Debbie Downer-- but waiting a few extra weeks might save you a lot of pain/annoyance in the long run!

Old 03-20-2015, 09:25 AM

10,629 posts, read 25,024,260 times
Uptown/Lyn-Lake/Whittier on this side of the city are all hip and fun and have lots of vintage apartments with character, in both large buildings and in smaller duplexes or four-plexes. But if your boyfriend lives NE, I'd look over there, first.

My other favorite new neighborhood these days is around the Raymond station just on the other side of St. Paul; it's not as busy as Uptown or right by the river, but there are a number of good restaurants, interesting thrift shops, etc. The location is really central and right by 280, so you'd be convenient to any future job as well as just a quick drive to NE. And easy access to the Green Line is wonderful, even if you're not taking it to work. There are a bunch of old converted commercial buildings there right on University, many (but I don't think all) for artists, but there are lots of other options back in the neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul