Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2015, 10:26 PM

21 posts, read 24,287 times

Advertisements

Hey! I am looking to relocate to Minneapolis this fall to start school and begin a life there. I wanted to get some thoughts from people who have attended Minneapolis Community & Technical College, if you know anything about it, instructors at the school or other schools. I am open to any advice or opinions! I didn't see any when I looked but, are there any other PUBLIC community colleges in Minneapolis?

What are some good, safe, and economical places to live? It doesn't have to be for students, but it definitely needs to be reasonable.

What is the job market like for people who have not completed college yet? I would need to work full time while in school.

A bit of background information on me.
I am 24, from Mobile, Alabama and currently a part time manager/key holder at a retail store. Most of my employment has been retail, however I have previously done a data entry internship and childcare. I will be working towards an associates in Business. I have previously attended college and I do have some credits that I would like to transfer. I also would like to complete a bachelors degree, however right now my main focus is an associates and to begin a career. I am in a long distance relationship so I would prefer to live without a roommate for the time being so my boyfriend can definitely visit without any issues; also if I do move to Minneapolis this is where we plan to start a life together with a family. I don't mind studio apartments at all, the cheaper the better, as long as safety isn't an issue!

I really, really appreciate your time to read this and hope to hear some answers soon.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2015, 08:47 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
If you won't have a car, I'd go with a studio in Loring Park for its sheer convenience to both school and possible jobs downtown.

If you do have a car, parking in Loring Park is a hassle unless you pay for it, and you may not want that expense; in that case, I'd live somewhere along the 4 or 6 bus line (as they both stop right in front of the school and go through neighborhoods south of downtown that have lots of studio apartments and easier free parking); you won't want to drive to school. You could look into neighborhoods like Uptown, which have a wide range of apartments (including reasonable studios), easy access to school, and lots of retail options for work. I don't think you'll have any trouble finding a job of some sort. There are cheaper options elsewhere, but Uptown has a good blend of studios plus proximity to businesses and school (without having to either drive or transfer buses).

Old 03-21-2015, 09:36 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,464,733 times
In addition to MCTC, there's St.Paul College, Anoka Ramsey, Normandale, North Hennepin, etc.

Old 03-21-2015, 11:35 AM

Thank you both!!

I do not have a car right now and I most likely will not have one when I move because I don't really want to add another expense like a car note until I am settled when I can make the most out of public transportation for the time being.
I will definitely look into Loring Park right now! Convenience will be nice, especially in the first few months and without a car since I will be completely new to the area.

Also, tjasse or anyone who see this, do you know anything about the schools? I know I can find information on their websites, I have looked, but from living around the area, things you have heard or experienced?

Old 03-21-2015, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
If you won't have a car, I'd go with a studio in Loring Park for its sheer convenience to both school and possible jobs downtown.

If you do have a car, parking in Loring Park is a hassle unless you pay for it, and you may not want that expense; in that case, I'd live somewhere along the 4 or 6 bus line (as they both stop right in front of the school and go through neighborhoods south of downtown that have lots of studio apartments and easier free parking); you won't want to drive to school. You could look into neighborhoods like Uptown, which have a wide range of apartments (including reasonable studios), easy access to school, and lots of retail options for work. I don't think you'll have any trouble finding a job of some sort. There are cheaper options elsewhere, but Uptown has a good blend of studios plus proximity to businesses and school (without having to either drive or transfer buses).

Thank you for replying, what is the safety like for Loring Park? Are there many students who live in the area?

Old 03-21-2015, 12:58 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
Loring Park is pretty safe, although I'd still use common sense and would not personally cut through the park itself at night. the area is a blend of upscale condos and apartments and cheaper vintage places. I think a lot of students live there, but it's really a blend of retirees, downtown workers, students, and other assorted people. It's a great neighborhood if you don't have a car, and, being right on the edge of downtown, very centrally located.

Old 03-21-2015, 01:07 PM

687 posts, read 1,255,826 times
I believe there are 7 public community colleges in the Twin Cities metro: Anoka-Ramsey, Century, Inver Hills, MCTC, Normandale, North Hennepin, and St. Paul College. I get the impression that they are all more-or-less equivalent, although specialty programs will differ. I would guess in business that your experience will vary more with the particular instructors you have than the school. Also, there is something called the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum that guarantees credits transferring to public 4-year schools. That might be worth looking into.

If you are concerned about safety and affordability of housing, MCTC and St. Paul College are the last 2 I would consider. That's mostly me guessing at rents along with some crime concerns in particular areas. However, no car will limit your mobility in other locations.

I have more familiarity with the northern schools.

Anoka-Ramsey is mainly in Coon Rapids. There is some public transit there, but it does not easily connect to Riverdale (a major shopping area nearby). You can take a 24 minute bus ride to Northtown Mall where you could do pretty much any shopping you need (grocery store, Walmart, Target, etc.). In the other direction that bus goes to downtown Anoka. That bus only runs once an hour though. I would guess housing is pretty cheap near Anoka-Ramsey and the area is maybe a bit run down, but I would guess to be safe. It's kind of a strange setup where there used to be a U.S. highway that was the main drag, but it got replaced by a parallel freeway 20 years or so ago. The road is now a local arterial with no where near the through traffic it once had. So, there's some business along the old highway but places like Target vacated the area.

Century might be reasonable without a car. Within a half mile of the school there is a shopping center with a standard grocery store, Aldi, Ace, dollar store of some sort, Walgreens (or is it a CVS?), al liquor store, etc. That's probably the sort of place you could walk to get most everything for day-to-day stuff although you might not have a tremendous amount of selection. There is a bus that runs between Century to Maplewood Mall (12 minutes) every half hour. The Maplewood Mall area would get you the rest of your shopping needs. Although you would have catch another bus from Maplewood Mall to access anything similar to a Walmart or Target. Overall, that's a doable life without a car, but probably annoying at times. I don't know about rents in that area. There is an apartment complex adjacent to Century that advertises toward students.

Old 03-21-2015, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northsub View Post
If you are concerned about safety and affordability of housing, MCTC and St. Paul College are the last 2 I would consider. That's mostly me guessing at rents along with some crime concerns in particular areas. However, no car will limit your mobility in other locations.
The overall safety doesn't concern me if it isn't more unsafe than any other major city. Where I am from, my current residence is not necessarily a "safe" city and I live in an area that the safety changes quickly to a sketchy area so I definitely know that with living in any city, especially major ones, I will have to keep smart and cautious. I prefer to live in a major city, as I'm not really scared of much I just want to make sure I'm not in an area where I fear for my life outside during the day light.

Old 03-21-2015, 01:33 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,746,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali51890 View Post
Hey! I am looking to relocate to Minneapolis this fall to start school and begin a life there. I wanted to get some thoughts from people who have attended Minneapolis Community & Technical College, if you know anything about it, instructors at the school or other schools. I am open to any advice or opinions! I didn't see any when I looked but, are there any other PUBLIC community colleges in Minneapolis?

What are some good, safe, and economical places to live? It doesn't have to be for students, but it definitely needs to be reasonable.

What is the job market like for people who have not completed college yet? I would need to work full time while in school.

A bit of background information on me.
I am 24, from Mobile, Alabama and currently a part time manager/key holder at a retail store. Most of my employment has been retail, however I have previously done a data entry internship and childcare. I will be working towards an associates in Business. I have previously attended college and I do have some credits that I would like to transfer. I also would like to complete a bachelors degree, however right now my main focus is an associates and to begin a career. I am in a long distance relationship so I would prefer to live without a roommate for the time being so my boyfriend can definitely visit without any issues; also if I do move to Minneapolis this is where we plan to start a life together with a family. I don't mind studio apartments at all, the cheaper the better, as long as safety isn't an issue!

I really, really appreciate your time to read this and hope to hear some answers soon.
Thanks!
UptownUrbanist gave you some great advice. I attended MCTC many years ago, had no car and lived in the apartments that surround Loring Park. It worked really, really well for me. There are many apartment buildings in the neighborhood to choose from, you're right off several major bus lines, you can walk to Downtown (if you're in retail this would make a lot of sense), Loring Park itself is very nice, the Sculpture Garden is across the street, etc. It's really the ideal place to live if you have no car and attend MCTC. There are some fun bars around Loring Park for nighlife but at UU mentioned, most people would want to avoid the park at night. Just commen sense, inner-city stuff. Loring Park has a large gay population and is commonly referred to as the 'Gayborhood' where young Gays like to live. I'm not gay and it never bothered me much. From time to time someone would come on to me at a bar or restaurant, but when I told them I was straight they were always respectful. This was 20 years ago so things may have changed bu the one real drawback was gay prostitution in the neighborhood at night. There were some young guys on the corners back then and 'cruisers', men who'd drive up and down the streets 'cruising' for 'dates'. As a good looking young guy, it was fairly common for cars to pull up next to me and ask if I wanted to party, etc. At the same time, the gays really kept the neighborhood clean, aside from gay prostitution there was little crime, the amenities were top shelf and the location couldn't be beat.

You could also look at St Paul College. It was ranked the #1 Community College in the nation last year I believe. Not sure that there's any real advantage to that, but it's the other option I would look at if I were you. You could live in the Cathedral Hill/Selby-Dale neighborhood, find work there, live without a car and walk to SPC.

Best of luck to you.

Old 03-21-2015, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
UptownUrbanist gave you some great advice. I attended MCTC many years ago, had no car and lived in the apartments that surround Loring Park. It worked really, really well for me. There are many apartment buildings in the neighborhood to choose from, you're right off several major bus lines, you can walk to Downtown (if you're in retail this would make a lot of sense), Loring Park itself is very nice, the Sculpture Garden is across the street, etc. It's really the ideal place to live if you have no car and attend MCTC. There are some fun bars around Loring Park for nighlife but at UU mentioned, most people would want to avoid the park at night. Just commen sense, inner-city stuff. Loring Park has a large gay population and is commonly referred to as the 'Gayborhood' where young Gays like to live. I'm not gay and it never bothered me much. From time to time someone would come on to me at a bar or restaurant, but when I told them I was straight they were always respectful. This was 20 years ago so things may have changed bu the one real drawback was gay prostitution in the neighborhood at night. There were some young guys on the corners back then and 'cruisers', men who'd drive up and down the streets 'cruising' for 'dates'. As a good looking young guy, it was fairly common for cars to pull up next to me and ask if I wanted to party, etc. At the same time, the gays really kept the neighborhood clean, aside from gay prostitution there was little crime, the amenities were top shelf and the location couldn't be beat.

You could also look at St Paul College. It was ranked the #1 Community College in the nation last year I believe. Not sure that there's any real advantage to that, but it's the other option I would look at if I were you. You could live in the Cathedral Hill/Selby-Dale neighborhood, find work there, live without a car and walk to SPC.

Best of luck to you.

Thank you for your reply too! I really would rather not continue to work retail while in school, but quite honestly I can't afford to be too picky at the time being. I am not really big or interested in the bar scene or going out so that shouldn't concern me much, however being close to it doesn't bother me...I'm just more of a get things done during the day then become a homebody at night and really ready to settle down in my life, especially given my boyfriend doesn't live near me.
The inner-city type stuff doesn't bother me, I'm really just not scared of much because I have had to use common sense all of my life.
Also, I don't mind LGBT, I honestly just want to live in an area that I will feel comfortable and safe in, also economical.
I will be focused on finishing my education and work so that I can begin a future for myself and with my boyfriend.
I feel like the Lorin Park neighborhood would be a good fit for me. I did some looking around at studio apartments and was impressed by the cost and the photos they had of the places. I live in midtown/downtown of my current city and the older places/structures feel more like home to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul