Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 05:50 AM

776 posts, read 1,062,997 times

Advertisements

Oh I am sitting in here in Scottsdale and loving every moment. I am so glad we took this trip. It has been in the mid to upper 90s here all week and only 6% humidity. I never could have imagined how nice this heat really feels compared to that of the east coast. We have done so much in the last few days and haven't even begun to scratch the surface. Not really sure how people ever get bored here. I wasn't all that impressed with downtown Phoenix, but Arizona is just amazing.

On that note, we are kind of up in the air on the subject of ever living here. I do think if you had to live here, work here, get kids to an from activities here.. It would get old real fast. I'd imagine that all the things you do on a normal day to day basis would not all be in the ritzy parts or beautiful sights you go out to see while vacationing. Yes you may hve access to them as often as you ca actually get to them, but living here is great for rich people with no work schedules and retirees. Don't get me wrong AZ, Yall have a great state. Super clean, well managed roadways,, traffic is not bad at all (plus the roads make sense on the true grid system) easy to navigate around And the people here for TE most part have been super friendly.

With all that said, I have to say that Minneapolis Alford in fact offer so much more to see and doz on a regular basis. I realized that everything In Az takes a half hour or more to get to and reminded me of living in Dallas. In minneapolis there was always someplace to stop and eat, some great neighborhoods to walk, buildings all around or at least something to make you feel connected. Not very nice scenery outside the metro, but if you're talking about everyday life (work commute, kids activities, shopping etc) MSP has no lack of "stuff" to keep you busy. Being in az this week has me really torn on proving a good life for our family or livin someplace nice. Two totally different things.

I'm not sure either are for us to be honest but I'd have to agree with some of the Comments above about being close to family and old friends. It really can't be replaced by good weather. I told my wife yssterday, that Id probably rather be sitting in my basement watching a Vikings game with my buddy as brother on TV when it's 10 degrees and snowing outside if it want spending time with people I care about than sitting outside in December on my patio in AZ alone thinking about my friends and family back home ... Watching the vikings game together
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 06:01 AM

776 posts, read 1,062,997 times
I do however agree that any decision like theses Gould be a family decision and based on what is best for you, your spouse and your kids first. Not based on the feelings of others outside. Even the feelings of you siblings or parents to influence you.

Like I'm my case, my family back home in MN is always urging me to move back. More because they miss us and think we "BELONG" back. No one is upset with us though. But it creates pressure on our end and makers us question our current situation. To be honest, we have it pretty dang good where we are and both have solid careers making great money and our kids are happy. Neither of our boys want to move back to MN, after all it isn't Home to them. They like to go visit and see there cousins but they have friends in Virginia and Charlotte that they like. My wife and I would really like to leave the east coast but still have to consider our boys feelings too at this point in their lives. It has to work for us first. I should also clarify, we are currently living in the northern Virginia area outside of DC. Still have a home in Charlotte that we go back to ok some weekends that we have free. Trying to decide of we should keep a home there and keep going back, or relocate all together at the end of the year to someplace completely new and preferable west/southwest.

That's why i started this post. I was wondering what decisions people made. And what the bay based them on. It's a really tough choice to relocate a family, especially if you have uncertainties of where you're going.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:56 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,917,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtloucks View Post
Oh I am sitting in here in Scottsdale and loving every moment. I am so glad we took this trip. It has been in the mid to upper 90s here all week and only 6% humidity. I never could have imagined how nice this heat really feels compared to that of the east coast. We have done so much in the last few days and haven't even begun to scratch the surface. Not really sure how people ever get bored here. I wasn't all that impressed with downtown Phoenix, but Arizona is just amazing.

On that note, we are kind of up in the air on the subject of ever living here. I do think if you had to live here, work here, get kids to an from activities here.. It would get old real fast. I'd imagine that all the things you do on a normal day to day basis would not all be in the ritzy parts or beautiful sights you go out to see while vacationing. Yes you may hve access to them as often as you ca actually get to them, but living here is great for rich people with no work schedules and retirees. Don't get me wrong AZ, Yall have a great state. Super clean, well managed roadways,, traffic is not bad at all (plus the roads make sense on the true grid system) easy to navigate around And the people here for TE most part have been super friendly.

With all that said, I have to say that Minneapolis Alford in fact offer so much more to see and doz on a regular basis. I realized that everything In Az takes a half hour or more to get to and reminded me of living in Dallas. In minneapolis there was always someplace to stop and eat, some great neighborhoods to walk, buildings all around or at least something to make you feel connected. Not very nice scenery outside the metro, but if you're talking about everyday life (work commute, kids activities, shopping etc) MSP has no lack of "stuff" to keep you busy. Being in az this week has me really torn on proving a good life for our family or livin someplace nice. Two totally different things.

I'm not sure either are for us to be honest but I'd have to agree with some of the Comments above about being close to family and old friends. It really can't be replaced by good weather. I told my wife yssterday, that Id probably rather be sitting in my basement watching a Vikings game with my buddy as brother on TV when it's 10 degrees and snowing outside if it want spending time with people I care about than sitting outside in December on my patio in AZ alone thinking about my friends and family back home ... Watching the vikings game together
i feel the same way about the philly or dc area. when i leave minnesota, im gonna miss the convenice of everything. airport- 15-20 min away. i can get to minneapolis in about 20. st paul- 20-25. and the traffic actually moves. Trust me, philly traffic is always at a stand still. minnesota traffic is a breeze. IM GONNA MISS THIS CITY!!! my only regret is that i didnt leave in the twin cities. i think if i lived in south minneapolis, i would have a different perspective on minnesota. listen i enjoy edina. But i hate being the only african american around. i get along with anyone. but i hate sticking out like a sort thumb.

Old 12-30-2015, 07:53 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,218,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wushuliu View Post
It's flat, flat, flat, flat, flat. Yeah there's some okay greenery but it's no Pacific Northwest. Lakes are pretty much what makes the scenery, that and the emphasis on easily accessible parks, etc.

That said the quality of life and cost of living is such one could more easily save money and simply fly to those parts of the country that are more interesting topographically.

I like to think of MSP as 'home base' from which I can more affordably explore the rest of the world. Having lived in some cities that have amazing views and social scene I can tell you, between the daily grind of life and having easier access 24/7, you start to take it all for granted and the magic diminishes.

Driving through Seattle every day it's amazing how quickly you're like oh look there's a giant f'ing MOUNTAIN
out my window that is the biggest thing I've ever seen...whatever.
i agree with the point that msp is a home base that helps you save money and explore the world.

you have to build wealth for your future. living in an expensive place prevents that. you live for the present and it prevents you from saving for your future.

a better strategy is to live in an affordable and convenient place. when you vacation, you never have to put up with the daily hassle of high cost of living, taxes, traffic, etc. do you really need mountain views every day? sit in traffic and view them?

msp would be boring if you don't go anywhere. but a fair amount of travel would give you the fix. at the end of the dya, who doesn't want to come back to a nice house?

Old 12-31-2015, 03:42 AM

628 posts, read 1,436,825 times
The arrogant, passive-aggressive and narcissistic nature of gentrifiers in the city of Minneapolis is what will drive me out...again. I'll move to Tucson and stay there for good.

I will also add that cost of living in the Twin Cities is not accurately displayed on sites such as Sperling, Numbeo, etc. There is a common disbelief that Minneapolis is an affordable city "for all." As a millenial, the reality is that all of my acquaintances have either moved to exurbs, moved to cheaper sunbelt cities, or are plotting moves to cheaper cities. Rents are rising quite rapidly and I can no longer justify spending $750+/month for an outdated 400 square foot studio in a decent area to be within a 30-minute commuting distance of my job especially when I can't even live my life how I choose for months on end every year due to winter - this winter has been great however. Also don't appreciate the insane tax burden while the state now declares a budget surplus each year and "their" plans on what "they" will do with our money. With rising crime, bureaucracy, passive-aggressive reactions from political figures to obvious racial tensions and the city's goal of turning this into a "24 hr city" with condos lining the streets, this will soon be Chicago 2. Not interested.

Last edited by gearedtowardssalad; 12-31-2015 at 04:05 AM..

Old 12-31-2015, 10:50 AM

2,105 posts, read 4,600,015 times
condos lining the streets?

Last edited by demtion35; 12-31-2015 at 11:07 AM..

Old 12-31-2015, 12:16 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,129,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wushuliu View Post
It's flat, flat, flat, flat, flat. Yeah there's some okay greenery but it's no Pacific Northwest. Lakes are pretty much what makes the scenery, that and the emphasis on easily accessible parks, etc.

That said the quality of life and cost of living is such one could more easily save money and simply fly to those parts of the country that are more interesting topographically.

I like to think of MSP as 'home base' from which I can more affordably explore the rest of the world. Having lived in some cities that have amazing views and social scene I can tell you, between the daily grind of life and having easier access 24/7, you start to take it all for granted and the magic diminishes.

Driving through Seattle every day it's amazing how quickly you're like oh look there's a giant f'ing MOUNTAIN
out my window that is the biggest thing I've ever seen...whatever.
After living in CO and AK, mountains can become a pain. I want to get to point B, I have to drive an extra hour or two. Oh, the one road is closed, too bad. After the honeymoon is over, it's not always as awesome as first time. But I still have a draw to live in mtns of CO or CA part time in my future, MN will always be my homebase.

Old 12-31-2015, 02:15 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,772,161 times
First time was the weather. Second time was husbands job. There will not be a third time.

Old 12-31-2015, 10:36 PM

628 posts, read 1,436,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demtion35 View Post
condos lining the streets?
Minneapolis leadership wants to essentially turn the city into Manhattan, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I just don't want to experience it. Neighborhood and city council meetings are my sources.

Old 01-01-2016, 10:27 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times
Wow! Just read through this thread and it seems like the MSP hate thread. I'm someone who has always thought about moving to MSP and love what it offers, no family to worry about here though. I do agree with those who said that Minneapolis is a great place to live for the cost...if you travel elsewhere a lot. Even then, I think it offers a great value for what it offers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul