Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 12:58 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,917,654 times

Advertisements

for anyone that has either left minnesota or plan on leaving- did you guys have trouble finding a job? Did you leave your address off your resume. Im really starting to think hiring managers see minnesota and throw my resume in the garbage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 01:38 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daboywonder2002 View Post
for anyone that has either left minnesota or plan on leaving- did you guys have trouble finding a job? Did you leave your address off your resume. Im really starting to think hiring managers see minnesota and throw my resume in the garbage.
I had trouble finding a software development/support job in the Twin Cities, but that was during the period just after 9/11. I was lucky enough to have a technical skillset that (eventually) had companies from other parts of the country finding me.

Non-local addresses are often an issue regardless of the location of the position or the location of the prospective employee.

For some types of work, it doesn't matter as much (for example, the application support team I work with is scattered on four continents), but management can often have a dim view of remote employees even when there wouldn't be any issues.

Old 04-01-2015, 01:50 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,711,998 times
Quote:
Hiring managers will favor a local candidate over an equally qualified one from out of state in order to save relocation costs. You can't really not provide an address though. I don't see why anyone would discriminate against Minnesotans, unless HateMinnesota is your hiring manager.

Old 04-01-2015, 02:07 PM

77 posts, read 94,504 times
Quote:
It depends on your skillset and what companies you've worked for in MN. I had better opportunities in other states than in MN. I didn't have to look...they found me. The pay differential was significant, so, I couldn't justify staying and working in MN any further. Plus, there were other...things...that made me GTFO.

If you've worked for a couple of recognizable organizations, then it would be a bit more appealing than a bunch of no-name orgs. I would leave the address off of the resume and put your email and phone number on. Simply put the city and state of the place you wish to relocate in place of your address. Hiring managers will assume that you will want relocation if they see an out-of-state address and will most likely not be willing to pay until after they meet you (if you can sell them on relocation that is). What is your profession?

Old 04-01-2015, 02:09 PM

77 posts, read 94,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
I don't see why anyone would discriminate against Minnesotans, unless HateMinnesota is your hiring manager.
Minnesota nice.

Old 04-01-2015, 02:53 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,711,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hate Minnesota View Post
Minnesota nice.
You clearly don't know what that term means.

Old 04-01-2015, 04:17 PM

878 posts, read 1,207,746 times
I work as a (healthcare) recruiter and it has nothing to do with the fact that you're in MN, it has to do with the fact that you're out of state. Companies, other than for very senior positions (and even then) generally prefer local candidates-- there are less loose ends and concerns (what if you decide not to relocate-- they might have to offer a relo package, etc)-- or, as others have mentioned, it might be that your current employer is one that either HR or the hiring manager aren't familiar with, if it's a smaller company and/or one that's local to MN.

If you have an address that you can use in your desired state of residence that you can use, you *might* want to use that instead-- but bear in mind that they might expect you to be able to go to an interview without much notice (and on your dime)-- furthermore, if your current role is for a local MN company, it would likely be quite obvious that you're not in your new state.

Getting hired out of state is definitely challenging, but it's not impossible.. good luck!

Old 04-01-2015, 05:45 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
It's tough getting a job with an out-of-state address. What kind of work do you do? Can you work your existing contacts there? We came very close to moving to Philadelphia once a few years ago, thanks to a recruiter my husband knew from our previous time living in the mid-atlantic. It didn't work out, but working with the recruiter meant that he was in the running even though he wasn't local. Even if you don't work with a recruiter, even if your family or friends know people hiring for your type of position they could put in a good word and explain that you're eager to relocate back, quickly and on your own dime (assuming that's the case), which may at least get them to take a second look at your resume.

Old 04-01-2015, 07:53 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,192,034 times
The advice I heard about this subject is to express interest in the new state you're applying for in your cover letter. I've never done it myself but am about to try it soon (in order to flee TO Minnesota, or wherever fate takes us). That, coupled with UU's advice, should make you golden.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,105 times
I agree with the consumer who mentioned leaving your current address off your resume. Is there a family member or friend in the area where you are going that you could put their address down. I would make this change after the relocating; however I would just leave my name, email and phone number as current contact and be sure to send a cover letter about your intensions to relocate. Don't ask for the interview if $$$ you are not prepared to get there; just be sure to indicate in your cover letter about doing a phone interview first, this gives the hiring manager I idea of your plans.

And with all faith and positive thinking, you could land a job over the phone with good pay and simi-help with relocating. Practicing what I'm preaching. Think positive and make the MOVE!! Happy Living!!!

lookingforanewhometoo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul