Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 06:33 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,036,566 times

Advertisements

A large kinda newer area of hotels with many food options within walking distance which is safe to walk around in the evenings. What cities surrounding Brooklyn Center have many hotels in general? Columbia Heights, Fridley don't seem to have any. Brooklyn Park? Maybe some in northern section? New Hope, Robinsdale? Good luck finding any there...

I would stay downtown, most options for places to stay and can use light rail to somewhat get around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 06:53 PM

171 posts, read 194,842 times
Lucky.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:05 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,586,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solafive View Post
Thank you everyone for chiming in with your information!

I am mostly going to be driving in towards the downtown Minneapolis area and will probably only be sleeping there. Also want to explore things around as I am from California and have never been to MN. I am excited to go and see!

I only asked because upon my search a lot of people were saying how bad it is and such so, I wanted to make sure I'm not staying in gang filled area or something.
It sounds like you don't have to stay in Brooklyn Center. If that is true then I would advise you not to.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:31 PM

290 posts, read 546,259 times
You guys are all laughably ridiculous. There is so much fear out there. Try going to a city with any real shady area and real crime and then report back about how dangerous Brooklyn Center is. Brooklyn Center is a quiet place. Especially in the area where those motels are at. The crime does not happen in the motels on the main roads next to the freeway. It happens in the apartments between people who know each other, you know, like how most crimes are committed.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:54 PM

43 posts, read 72,220 times
Brooklyn Center has a higher crime rate than most suburbs of Minneapolis and St. Paul, but it is still low in serious crimes. Property crimes are likely what is a large factor in the city's crime rate. Unfortunately, while some motels or hotels in the city are fine, others I would be more wary of.
Brooklyn Center does not however, have a wide range of shopping or dining locations compared to nearby suburbs. I can think of 2 or 3 restaurants in the city I do go to or recommend (they are Davanni's, Slim's, and the '50s Grill). But what little remains in commercial entities are usually chain places.
It is pretty much an older suburb of Minneapolis, and you will have to go to other towns and cities to see uniquely Minnesota things.

Old 04-09-2015, 08:36 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,765,074 times
Noooo don't do it! I had to go over there actually right to shingle creek pkwy today and it was the strangest area I've ever seen in MN. I would suggest changing it for a better MN experience.

Old 04-09-2015, 08:42 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,765,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenswake View Post
You guys are all laughably ridiculous. There is so much fear out there. Try going to a city with any real shady area and real crime and then report back about how dangerous Brooklyn Center is. Brooklyn Center is a quiet place. Especially in the area where those motels are at. The crime does not happen in the motels on the main roads next to the freeway. It happens in the apartments between people who know each other, you know, like how most crimes are committed.
No maybe not unsafe compared to other cities but we live in MN so those other places are irrelevant. If a person is coming from another state to be in MN why would we advise them to stay in the least (okay okay maybe north minneapolis is) desirable place in the twin cities? Crime stats are available for a reason and who are we to say how those crimes occur? The stats simply paint a picture of a given area.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:43 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,074,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solafive View Post
Thank you everyone for chiming in with your information!

I am mostly going to be driving in towards the downtown Minneapolis area and will probably only be sleeping there. Also want to explore things around as I am from California and have never been to MN. I am excited to go and see!

I only asked because upon my search a lot of people were saying how bad it is and such so, I wanted to make sure I'm not staying in gang filled area or something.
Coming from California (LA area presumably?), you will find absolutely nothing in the Twin Cities (not even our highest-crime neighborhoods) that's even remotely comparable to the worst areas of Los Angeles or even the Bay Area. Even North Minneapolis or Frogtown in St. Paul (which are generally considered "the ghetto" here) are very much tame compared to anything you'd be accustomed to.

Now that I've asserted that Brooklyn Center is completely safe twice (please don't listen to the people who claim it's risky—they have no idea what they're talking about), I will agree with other posters that there are more interesting places to stay inside Minneapolis/St. Paul city limits and in the rest of the metro.

If you're hoping to get a feel for the urban experience in the Twin Cities, I might suggest staying in (or nearby) downtown St. Paul and riding the Green Line into Minneapolis to get around. You'll get a taste of both downtowns and see more than you would from the freeway in your car. Do you know specifically what you're hoping to see while you're here? If not, feel free to ask for suggestions!

Old 04-09-2015, 09:53 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,155,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenswake View Post
You're definitely right that people are making it out to be worse than it probably is -- especially for a tourist -- but I think you're equally over-compensating in favor of Brooklyn Center's reputation. It's cruddy in many parts, and it's not all that safe, period. I live in the Cleveland area currently (East Side), and the city of East Cleveland (notorious crime haven) has LESS crime than Brooklyn Center on a per capita basis.

So on the one hand BC isn't so dangerous you can't even stay in a hotel there, but on the other hand it's probably not the #1 choice for somebody who's interested in seeing the area and is visiting for the first time.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:59 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,155,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Coming from California (LA area presumably?), you will find absolutely nothing in the Twin Cities (not even our highest-crime neighborhoods) that's even remotely comparable to the worst areas of Los Angeles or even the Bay Area. Even North Minneapolis or Frogtown in St. Paul (which are generally considered "the ghetto" here) are very much tame compared to anything you'd be accustomed to.

Now that I've asserted that Brooklyn Center is completely safe twice (please don't listen to the people who claim it's risky—they have no idea what they're talking about), I will agree with other posters that there are more interesting places to stay inside Minneapolis/St. Paul city limits and in the rest of the metro.

If you're hoping to get a feel for the urban experience in the Twin Cities, I might suggest staying in (or nearby) downtown St. Paul and riding the Green Line into Minneapolis to get around. You'll get a taste of both downtowns and see more than you would from the freeway in your car. Do you know specifically what you're hoping to see while you're here? If not, feel free to ask for suggestions!
The crime rate in Minneapolis is higher than LA.....just so you know. Minneapolis IS a smaller city though, and LA has some obvious bad pockets, but still....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul