Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 05:38 PM

416 posts, read 560,013 times

Advertisements

Robbinsdale is perfectly blah. I would consider it for cheaper housing and proximity to the city.

It is also a smart place to bet on given the signs of gentrification - there are several $$$ restaurants in the area and from my brief look at yelp definitely too rich for my blood.

So the businesses there must know something the nay-sayers don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestRedux View Post
Ok, let's try this again, but without projecting theoretical opinions onto imaginary people.

Question: Why do people hesitate about Robbinsdale?

Answer #1. It has a higher crime rate than just about any other suburb in the metro without the word "Brooklyn" in its name:

//www.city-data.com/crime/crime...Minnesota.html
Robbinsdale's crime rate per your link is exceeded by Brooklyn Park, Brooklyn Center, Columbia Heights, Spring Lake Park, Fridley, and Richfield.

So your statement doesn't even match the data that you yourself provided.

Old 04-13-2015, 06:12 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,050,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wushuliu View Post
Robbinsdale is perfectly blah. I would consider it for cheaper housing and proximity to the city.

It is also a smart place to bet on given the signs of gentrification - there are several $$$ restaurants in the area and from my brief look at yelp definitely too rich for my blood.

So the businesses there must know something the nay-sayers don't.
Definitely not an exiting place! It's very heavily residential, but it is close to downtown Mpls. When I lived there, thirty years ago, it seemed as if nearly everyone was in there 60s or 70s. Today, there are more young families around.

I don't really think there is any identifiable gentrification right now, although it will likely be on the Blue Line light rail extension (Bottineau Transitway). So the slight up-scaling in the primary commercial district may be an early indicator. However, I can't imagine anyone ever describing Robbinsdale as being "hip".

Old 04-13-2015, 06:13 PM

520 posts, read 775,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wushuliu View Post
Robbinsdale's crime rate per your link is exceeded by Brooklyn Park, Brooklyn Center, Columbia Heights, Spring Lake Park, Fridley, and Richfield.

So your statement doesn't even match the data that you yourself provided.
Actually the statement matches the facts pretty well. My Statement was:

It has a higher crime rate than just about any other suburb in the metro without the word "Brooklyn" in its name

Columbia Heights does have a noticeably higher crime rate, I missed that one The others you mentioned are quite close to Robbinsdale, especially when you look at multi-year stats. Given that the OP specifically mentioned western suburbs that have lower crime rates than Robbinsdale, qualifying the statement with the phrase "just about any other suburb" seems about right.

Are you trying to add something to the conversation, or are you just nitpicking for sport? My guess is the latter.

Old 04-13-2015, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestRedux View Post
Actually the statement matches the facts pretty well. My Statement was:

It has a higher crime rate than just about any other suburb in the metro without the word "Brooklyn" in its name

Columbia Heights does have a noticeably higher crime rate, I missed that one The others you mentioned are quite close to Robbinsdale, especially when you look at multi-year stats. Given that the OP specifically mentioned western suburbs that have lower crime rates than Robbinsdale, qualifying the statement with the phrase "just about any other suburb" seems about right.

Are you trying to add something to the conversation, or are you just nitpicking for sport? My guess is the latter.

You made an assertion. The link you provided didn't back it up. I addressed it. I'd say that counts as adding to the conversation.

Old 04-13-2015, 07:11 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,729,919 times
I think the food scene is signs of pending gentrification, and possible even eventual hipness (or at least hipsterness?). Travail, Pig Ate My Pizza, etc... that and an actual downtown and affordable houses seem like they'd be a great combination for young people. Add in the possibility of LRT in the future and I'd suspect Robbinsdale is going to become a popular location down the road, at least with people looking for a specific type of community.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:26 PM

109 posts, read 188,793 times
I agree that Robbinsdale definitely has gentrification potential.

As far as perceived hesitation/negativity... I never hear any negative comments about Robbinsdale nowadays. However I did when I was growing up in the western suburbs from my fellow students. Robbinsdale was part of the Classic Lake Conference along with Edina, Wayzata, Minnetonka, and Hopkins. Robbinsdale was derided basically for not being as affluent a community (I wouldn't be surprised if the word "ghetto" was used). But this was a group of high schoolers who generally came from affluent families, lived in affluent communities, didn't have an awareness of the socioeconomic bubble they were living in, and were extremely immature to boot. Among adults, I think Robbinsdale is thought of rather neutrally (as are most suburbs, I think). I never hear about it anymore but I think it would be a fine place to live.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:18 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,186,651 times
I only know it as a.) a blue-collar quiet suburb, and b.) adjacent to north Minneapolis. However, the part of N. Mpls that Robinsdale is adjacent to is mostly the Victory neighborhood, which is quite a nice area, from what I hear. In fact, I have more interest in the Victory neighborhood in Minneapolis than Robinsdale, which isn't a slight to Robinsdale. One of my chief concerns with either place is proximity to violent crime. Even if it doesn't happen within Robinsdale, I'd worry that it could easily spill over. I don't think those fears are substantiated though, which is why I'd seriously consider living in either place.

Old 04-16-2015, 09:35 PM

812 posts, read 2,172,314 times
Most people that move into our neighborhood are professionals that don't have kids yet although the kids are often soon to follow. The Wicked Wort taproom coming to downtown Robbinsdale this fall. There was also a grand opening for a mid-century modern furniture store that's downtown. Robbinsdale is quickly changing over to a younger, urban crowd. Gentrification is in progress already.

Old 04-17-2015, 09:21 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,157,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexuses82 View Post
We're moving to the area in a couple of weeks (yay!) and when locals ask me where we're looking at houses (Golden Valley, St Louis Park and Robbinsdale), the response I get is that those are nice areas except there's always a hesitation around Robbinsdale....and then some caveat that they don't know that much about it (this has happened a few times). So fill me in....is there something I'm missing about Robbinsdale? Thanks!
I'll summarize for you.

Robbinsdale has lower than average income. That correlates to lower than average home prices because it's full of 1950's-1960ish homes (they usually don't win a beauty contest in that era). Meaning, people with less income have to find less expensive housing. Less income correlates to less parental higher educational levels. Lower than average education levels from parents and lower income levels usually correlate to less passionate families who care about education. Hence, the school test scores typically are not as high inside of the schools with lower income and lower parent educational levels. So educated parents also try to avoid those lower test scores and the cycle continues.

That's a lot of words to say follow the money. Robbinsdale has lower income, less desirable housing, less desirable schools, more crime, etc than say SLP. What I just said ^^ is more-or-less is a universal concept all across the USA.

That said, Robbinsdale isn't bad per say. It is just not as desirable as more wealthier areas. There will be pockets of better areas. In other words nicer housing and therefore more educated parents with better schools and with less crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul