Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 09:16 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,049,130 times

Advertisements

An interesting theory as to why The Minneapolis-St Paul area has developed and maintained such a strong corporate presence, and why it became such an appealing place to work:

Why do workers like the Twin Cities? Let
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 10:06 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,962,109 times
Probably because it sounds like they have good worker's rights, unlike most of the country.

Old 04-18-2015, 10:56 PM

520 posts, read 775,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
Probably because it sounds like they have good worker's rights, unlike most of the country.
What do you mean? Seriously, I have no idea.

Are you commenting on the article the OP referenced or just regurgitating ideological talking points without any real context?

Old 04-19-2015, 08:52 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,181,497 times
There's a counter-argument that made the headlines on the same day.

Minnesota's youth exodus spells trouble ahead for labor force | Star Tribune

Frankly, the two articles leave me more confused than before!

Old 04-19-2015, 10:09 AM

44 posts, read 63,447 times
The state has lost residents every year since 2002. HUH?
And the Metro keeps growing?

One thing I know for sure is the Building trades are slowly starting to hurt.
Very few young people want to be in the trades.
Not like four years ago when building was down, hardly any work. But now the building boom
is back even stronger then the Clinton days.
I have retired four times. My company keeps calling me back because a huge shortage of carpenters.

Old 04-19-2015, 11:11 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,722,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
There's a counter-argument that made the headlines on the same day.

Minnesota's youth exodus spells trouble ahead for labor force | Star Tribune

Frankly, the two articles leave me more confused than before!
Interesting contrast! Still, the first article focused on wealthier, more established people a stage ahead of the young people mentioned in the second article. The "boomerang" strategy mentioned in article two -- luring people from MN back -- seems like it could work very well, given that many of the Twin Cities' strengths (easier access to good public schools, lots of big city amenities but with a much smaller cost compared to the big coastal cities), coupled with the possible draw of family and the availability of well-paying good professional jobs may well appeal to people who have moved elsewhere but have since married and may have started families. For many of us, our needs/wish list items are different in our 30s or 40s than it is our 20s, and Minnesota can take advantage of that.

Old 04-19-2015, 01:01 PM

737 posts, read 1,653,461 times
I know the first article rings true for us (were in our 30s). We are from the South originally, and we won't entertain the idea of moving back. Back home the weather is overrated, outdoor as well as cultural options can be very limited, the people aren't the most progressive, and life on the freeways between work and home is becoming more problematic because of increased traffic volumes, plus salaries are considerably lower. We've been here for 5 years now and it has been good for us! We have no intention on leaving. This is just my opinion but once you get used to how livable it is in the TC it can be hard to justify a move elsewhere. We had our chance last summer.

I think its still a little early to claim the sky is falling, and I think its common knowledge that the TC are not growing as fast as some of the other metros mentioned in the second article but it's population growth is hardly stagnate either at a rate 4.37%. That's about as fast as Greenville, SC and everyone in the Carolina's anyway seems convinced that its a fast growing city? Only Austin is more than double its growth rate, but its still in the pack albeit towards the end.

Comparisons:

Austin 13.23%

Denver 8.29%

Seattle 6.73%

Portland 5.49%

San Diego 5.43%

MSP 4.37%

Detrot 0.01%

Pittsburgh -0.01%

Cleveland -0.66%

Last edited by sandlapper; 04-19-2015 at 01:47 PM..

Old 04-19-2015, 01:34 PM

26 posts, read 33,784 times
Quote:
The state has lost residents every year since 2002. HUH?
And the Metro keeps growing?
This was one of the most poorly written articles that I have ever seen in the Strib, which is why it is no wonder that it is leaving people confused. Even if we had no international immigration our population would still be growing by virtue of natural increase-annual births exceed the combined total of deaths plus domestic out-migration to other states. What the author did not make clear is that they were referencing domestic migration only- Minnesota has lost people to other states every year since 2002.

Old 04-19-2015, 01:34 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,463,946 times
Actually the two stories are related. The reason the young people leave is twofold. The MN economy outside of the Twin Cities is on a spectrum of nothing special to terrible. Outstate people tend to move to places like Fargo, Sioux Falls, Eau Claire or further away to Texas (or wherever) as much as they move to the Twin Cities.

The second reason is like... The inverse effect of why the guy in the first story moved to the area. A lot of people who grow up in and around the Twin Cities want to move away to try something new. They don't want to just settle down with a corporate job at 3M or Target and a starter house in Maplewood or S. Minneapolis at age 23.

Old 04-19-2015, 03:04 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,706,186 times
Well then you've got the recent articles about MSP/StP being the best metro for millennials, so even more confusion.

Anyway you slice it the TCs are very healthy both now and forecast into the future. No looming debt crisis, low unemployment, lots of universities and a vibrant social scene. Actually the relatively slow rate of growth is a huge positive if you want to keep a healthy balance. Lots of these fast growing southern cities are rushing like mad to add commercial, retail, roads. Sprawl is rampant without either freeway or public transportation infrastructure.

I know the mayor of a large, well-known Chicago suburb. Her biggest fear is growing too fast. Feeding the developers and home builders and a rapidly growing tax base (and public service needs) can overwhelm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul