Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does the fact that most of the year the trees are bare in Minnesota bother you?
NO, I have other things to think about than trees! 11 57.89%
YES, it is brown and bleak for too long here 6 31.58%
I have no idea what you are talking about! 2 10.53%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 08:33 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,182,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laid Off View Post
In places like North Carolina, where many frustrated Minnesota people are moving to, the trees are green or colorful from early April to Thanksgiving. So there is just four months of brown. In parts of Minnesota the trees are brown for up to eight months. UGLY! In Arizona it is green with tons of palm trees and flowering bushes year around.
Okay....then you have to take into account the evergreen trees presence in the Twin Cities and Minnesota, if you're going to go down that road.

Besides, with climate change impending, MN may be able to support Kentucky Blue Grass and other types of grasses that stay green all year long, like they have in Cleveland, OH, for instance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 09:10 AM

195 posts, read 231,321 times
I don't think there are that many evergreen trees in the Twin Cities, 90% of the trees and bushes are bleak and bare for 7-8 months a year.

Old 05-04-2015, 09:34 AM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,878 times
Quote:
I don't think there are that many evergreen trees in the Twin Cities, 90% of the trees and bushes are bleak and bare for 7-8 months a year.
And your complaining about this is accomplishing and/or changing this how, exactly?

Old 05-04-2015, 11:12 AM

1,500 posts, read 1,771,178 times
Quote:
In places like North Carolina, where many frustrated Minnesota people are moving to, the trees are green or colorful from early April to Thanksgiving. So there is just four months of brown. In parts of Minnesota the trees are brown for up to eight months. UGLY! In Arizona it is green with tons of palm trees and flowering bushes year around.

I lived in said Arizona for 6.5 years and I don't recall it ever being as green as Minnesota from April-October. In certain areas they do a good job of making it as artificially green as possible but even that is nothing compared to the natural greenery here.

Having seasons where there are evergreens (which do provide greenery in winter) and snow helps me to appreciate when Spring rolls around. Being back for this full year in MN has really made me appreciate the seasons and I am thankful it's not always nice outside or green outside because for the first time in years I actually savor the nice, green days we have here in MN.

Old 05-04-2015, 11:35 AM

871 posts, read 1,087,889 times
Bare trees are beautiful.

Bare branches - Black & white photograph by Walter Myers - Gallery: Trees

Old 05-04-2015, 11:44 AM

950 posts, read 923,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minntoaz View Post
I lived in said Arizona for 6.5 years and I don't recall it ever being as green as Minnesota from April-October. In certain areas they do a good job of making it as artificially green as possible but even that is nothing compared to the natural greenery here.

Having seasons where there are evergreens (which do provide greenery in winter) and snow helps me to appreciate when Spring rolls around. Being back for this full year in MN has really made me appreciate the seasons and I am thankful it's not always nice outside or green outside because for the first time in years I actually savor the nice, green days we have here in MN.

.........and snow helps me to appreciate when Spring rolls around .....

Sounds like having the flu makes you.....appreciate...... being well again.

I would rather not have the flu to begin with.

Old 05-04-2015, 03:02 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,087,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJDAY81445 View Post
.........and snow helps me to appreciate when Spring rolls around .....

Sounds like having the flu makes you.....appreciate...... being well again.

I would rather not have the flu to begin with.
They say that those who never experience sorrow or hardship will never know joy. One needs balance in his or her life to put everything into perspective.

When you live in a climate that babies you, you take it for granted.

Old 05-04-2015, 04:57 PM

2,105 posts, read 4,597,839 times
When the trees along the hwy 61 are not as green, you can still see the Splitrock Lighthouse from the road passing by, both directions, as well as the large eagles nest, when the trees reach full green, then these things are not visible from the road any longer.

Also when the trees are bare hiking off trail is so much easier also you can see alot of land detail when hiking, which helps with wonderfull hikes, to keep seeing all these places which shortly will become hidden once again.

Also the views of Grand Marias.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:01 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,182,497 times
Quote:
You have very selective perceptions.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:43 AM

13,602 posts, read 4,926,293 times
I grew up in MN and then moved further south. I would agree that the winters are too long there. In fact it's not the severity of winter that bothers me -I can handle the below zero temps - but the fact that winter lasts from October to April that is depressing.

That said, in December and January I would prefer to look out at a fresh coat of white snow than a lawn of brown grass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul