Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 04:30 PM

49 posts, read 81,048 times

Advertisements

I just came up to Minneapolis for about a week with my sister from Milwaukee. We have noticed over the last several days the traffic here is much worse compared to Milwaukee. We had to do something in downtown Minneapolis and left around 430 and we did not get to Lakeville until an hour and 20 minutes later. We also started driving today from Golden Valley to Prior Lake and that took about 45 minutes to an hour on I-169. Is traffic really this bad here. Traffic here kind of reminds me of what I experienced when I was in the Dallas Metroplex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 05:48 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,883,959 times
There are lots of road closures going on now that are messing up the traffic patterns. It's not usually this bad.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:27 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,767,098 times
The geniuses over at MNDOT decided to do road construction on most north/south roads all at the same time. There are many closures and detours.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:47 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,659,404 times
Not usually this bad, but usually worse than Milwaukee. After all there area twice as many people in MSP, so typically more people = more traffic.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:29 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,062,282 times
I work nights, 10pm-7 am and drive from Maple Grove to New Hope each day. I avoid 169 south in the morning on the weekdays and instead take Boone Ave (the exit right after 169 goes through resident neighborhoods) to Bass Lake Road which is close to where I live. Or else I just go through residential neighborhoods through Maple Grove until I hit 81 then take 81 south until I hit the intersection of 81/Bass Lake Road in Crystal.

So it's bad on 169, but incredibly easy for me to avoid by simply taking the next exit through residential neighborhoods or the alternate route to 81.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:36 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Over here in Woodbury it has gotten very bad... 5 years ago it was good. but now the traffic is just unacceptable.

its all mostly due to the 94/494/694 interchange... southbound 694 and 94 westbound approaching the interchange you will experience backups during non peak hours.

Its a very high traveled road and it really needs some upgrading. the area is growing fast plus its the main road going to Wisconsin so everyone from the Twin Cities who is going on vacation to Wisconsin has to drive through this area... tomorrow i can imagine its going to be one big clusterf-ck.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:10 AM

1,068 posts, read 1,428,901 times
Just yesterday traffic was stuck for blocks on Larpenteur around Snelling: I just biked by all of it in the bike lane. And with a reverse commute to Downtown Minneapolis I can't say traffic is an issue. Guess some people love to sit in their cars all day, but whatever floats your boat.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:39 AM

2,578 posts, read 2,069,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Over here in Woodbury it has gotten very bad... 5 years ago it was good. but now the traffic is just unacceptable.

its all mostly due to the 94/494/694 interchange... southbound 694 and 94 westbound approaching the interchange you will experience backups during non peak hours.

Its a very high traveled road and it really needs some upgrading. the area is growing fast plus its the main road going to Wisconsin so everyone from the Twin Cities who is going on vacation to Wisconsin has to drive through this area... tomorrow i can imagine its going to be one big clusterf-ck.
The St. Croix bridge (highway 36) is due to open in Fall 2016, which will alleviate things a bit. But traffic in the seven-county metro is only going to increase over the next 25 years, so that looks to be short-lived.

But, I agree. I avoid the 94/494/694 interchange during rush hours. When I do tough, there is often standing traffic closing an entire lane well before the exit ramp on a regular basis. The amount of traffic has increased quite a bit over the past five years, but the real issue is the HORRIBLE merge design that is so freakin' common on Minnesota interstate interchanges - merge lanes need to be more than 100 yards. That really bottle-necks traffic.

Old 05-22-2015, 02:55 PM

44 posts, read 63,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
The St. Croix bridge (highway 36) is due to open in Fall 2016, which will alleviate things a bit. But traffic in the seven-county metro is only going to increase over the next 25 years, so that looks to be short-lived.

But, I agree. I avoid the 94/494/694 interchange during rush hours. When I do tough, there is often standing traffic closing an entire lane well before the exit ramp on a regular basis. The amount of traffic has increased quite a bit over the past five years, but the real issue is the HORRIBLE merge design that is so freakin' common on Minnesota interstate interchanges - merge lanes need to be more than 100 yards. That really bottle-necks traffic.

I so agree with you Woody. Lived in Woodbury for eight years, Moved to Vadnais heights six years ago.
But have to drive to Hudson for the grandkids sports during rush hour. What a night mare .
They need a up and over bridge like coming south on 35E to go east on 694. Much more an easier flow.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:35 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,446,641 times
Yes, Milwaukee has some of the lowest levels of traffic of any major metro area. The commute here in MSP is much worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul