Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 11:06 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,031,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
This is so rude and ignorant honestly.
honestly, some people are really like this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2015, 11:35 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,722,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
It seems that way as I see so many bicyclists riding in the middle of traffic.
And so many do that , but then don't follow motorized road laws.
Thinkin they can ride with cars, but not follow traffic laws.
I'm getting tired of looking out for them and the double standard

They have no business riding in traffic and on the roads.
Minnesota has PLENTY of bike trails to enjoy your form of bike exersize, a daily bike ride, or a bike stroll.
You realize that you're asking bikers to break the law, don't you? Bicyclists absolutely have a right to be on the road (other than freeways, of course), and you'll just have to learn how to deal with that. They are NOT allowed to be on the sidewalk. And bike trails are nice where they're available, but they are certainly not a replacement for the network of streets.

This is basic MN driving law 101. As others have said, this attitude is unquestionably ignorant, and arguably rude (an "It's all about me and only me" attitude).

Old 05-25-2015, 12:26 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,519,509 times
Hmmmm camp, uptown, ghengis and steel.......
You don't agree with me so I am and ignorant and rude. That says a lot about ones social and emotional level of maturity.

Yes, I believe bicyclists should not be on rodes with cars.
It is dangerous for bikers and for drivers of the cars.

Just because there are laws doesn't mean it makes sense.
I've seen a few of you here argue laws that are in place.

Set aside these laws, why in the heck would you ride a bike along side a huge powerful car?
It is rather odd.

Like I said, Minnesota has tons of bicycle trails and rather nice ones. I have been on plenty of them.

Is this movement for the bikers who selfishly believe they have the right to be where ever they want? Or is this movement in consideration of a motorized vehicle on a road built for cars?

How about cars start driving on bike paths?
Doesn't that sound odd? Just like the vice versa does.

And if a bicyclist gets hit out of pure no fault of either the car driver or the bicyclist......that car driver will have to go thru heck. Which is not right.

Old 05-25-2015, 12:52 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,427,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
It seems that way as I see so many bicyclists riding in the middle of traffic.
And so many do that , but then don't follow motorized road laws.
Thinkin they can ride with cars, but not follow traffic laws.
I'm getting tired of looking out for them and the double standard

They have no business riding in traffic and on the roads.
Minnesota has PLENTY of bike trails to enjoy your form of bike exersize, a daily bike ride, or a bike stroll.
Double standards, like lumping some cyclists who don't follow traffic laws with those that do while not doing the same with law-breaking motorists and law-abiding motorists. Because never do motorists speed above the legal limit, always come to a complete stop at a stop sign, never run a light after it turned red, etc. Cyclists are breaking the same laws, but motorists endanger others' lives when they do the same and they do it all the time.

I don't ride my bike purely for recreation, but for transportion because I live in the city. By the time a suburbanite has driven outside of his/her maze of cul-de-sacs I'll have reached dozens of destinations in that time frame. Then add to that the fact that suburbanites have to drive far down an arterial road sprinkled sparsely with shops, bars, and restaurants along a very long stretch, not to mention the very long wait times at intersections, and I can reach a multitude more places by bike in the city. It's no contest. Doesn't matter that you're going 50 MPH on county roads out there; you may be moving faster than be but you aren't getting to nearly as many places as fast as I can. Biking in the city is faster than driving in suburban environments built specifically around the automobile.

In an urban setting cars just don't make nearly as much sense as other modes of transportation: the constant traffic signals and stop signs, pedestrians everywhere, the lower speed limits, cars causing traffic jams all the time, cars being stored on the street where there should be another travel lane, it's no wonder I keep routinely catch up with or pass cars that passed me a little while ago: you're not going nearly as fast as you think you are.

Old 05-25-2015, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
^this...it especially irks me that they refuse to keep up with the normal traffic flow either on the city streets or out on the county highways, and what's with the no seat belts required!?
It's a "speed limit" not a "speed minumum". If you want to pass, and do so safely maybe you shouldn't have bought a big clunky car and instead a sleek microcar, scooter, or motorcycle to pass in the samne lane. If you like big clunky outdated technology why don't also you stick with those big akward cell phones from the early 90s?

Seriously, I'll never understand people who claim to love to drive and they love cars, yet having to drive for a few seconds more pisses them off and they get road rage. If there's more chocolate or more sex do you get pissed off and go into choco-rage or sex-rage?

Old 05-25-2015, 01:11 PM

In any case, Chicago was finally striped with bike lanes from Lake to 46th recently; I'm gonna check those out in the bit. I always thought it strange that this stretch of Chicago had no bike lanes until you reach 46th since both single travel lanes are wide enough for two cars to fit right next to each other. A wide bike lane here is a no-brainer and for those motorists looking for something to whine about: no travel lanes or parking lanes were removed.

Old 05-25-2015, 01:24 PM

391 posts, read 659,623 times
I think the ignorance regarding sharing the road goes back to the advent of the freeway. Since they ARE designed exclusively for motor vehicle traffic, its led to the belief that this exclusivity extends to ALL streets and roads, and delegitimized bikes as transportation in the process, even though historically they've always been transportation.

Cyclists and drivers have an equal responsibility to be aware of each other, follow the law and NOT engage in stupid behavior like disobeying traffic signs, doubling up and blocking traffic (bikes) or cutting off, crowding, being on the phone (cars) and failing to yield through obstinance or just plain inattentiveness (both).

Bike paths are great where they exist, but are often geared toward recreational riding, and cannot be relied on to get you everywhere you need to go.

Riding on sidewalks is downright dangerous, and not just because of pedestrians. You're much more likely to be nailed by a driver turning right at a corner or coming out a driveway than if you were out in traffic lanes.

Old 05-25-2015, 02:20 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,519,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyVegas View Post
I think the ignorance regarding sharing the road goes back to the advent of the freeway. Since they ARE designed exclusively for motor vehicle traffic, its led to the belief that this exclusivity extends to ALL streets and roads, and delegitimized bikes as transportation in the process, even though historically they've always been transportation.

Cyclists and drivers have an equal responsibility to be aware of each other, follow the law and NOT engage in stupid behavior like disobeying traffic signs, doubling up and blocking traffic (bikes) or cutting off, crowding, being on the phone (cars) and failing to yield through obstinance or just plain inattentiveness (both).

Bike paths are great where they exist, but are often geared toward recreational riding, and cannot be relied on to get you everywhere you need to go.

Riding on sidewalks is downright dangerous, and not just because of pedestrians. You're much more likely to be nailed by a driver turning right at a corner or coming out a driveway than if you were out in traffic lanes.
I agree with some things you say here and can see some off your points,
Except
For the "ignorance" part.
It just really isn't neccesary, and does no good for people with different view points to have a discussion.

Old 05-25-2015, 03:38 PM

391 posts, read 659,623 times
I'm not name-calling. I mean ignorance (i.e. lack of awareness) of the history and legitimacy of the bicycle as a form of transportation, as opposed to just a form of recreation that should be restricted to designated areas. I believe the opinion that bicyclists are merely a nuisance to motorists is at least partly a result of that lack of awareness. Irresponsibility in both camps do not help matters. I've had people yell at me from cars while passing me in hope of startling me enough to crash - and not because I was in their way, just because I was there.

Old 05-25-2015, 04:14 PM

171 posts, read 196,834 times
It's worse out state where teenagers will try to run you over for fun. At least in MPLS there is some notion that running over someone on a bike is probably the wrong thing to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul