Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 02:03 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,422,618 times

Advertisements

Hot on the heels of being ranked the best city for bikes in the nation: The 20 Most Bike-Friendly Cities on the Planet | WIRED
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 07:23 PM

737 posts, read 1,649,109 times
Nice!

Old 06-04-2015, 05:46 AM

1,606 posts, read 3,332,723 times
Impressive! I look forward to riding the trails again when I'm back in town next month.
Accolades like this can go a long way to offsetting Minnesota's predominant identity as being a "frozen tundra"

Old 06-04-2015, 10:41 AM

18 posts, read 24,902 times
Yeah were also rated No. 1 healthiest state as well. Go us!

Old 06-04-2015, 10:49 AM

7,572 posts, read 8,994,634 times
Kudos to Mpls. Enough people have moved here from other places and have seen what a great area this is - so, our reputation is getting better and better. I'm quite surprised when reading comments on CD where cities are compared to each other and the number of times Mpls comes out ahead.

Old 06-06-2015, 11:12 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,757,793 times
Frankly, those U.S. cities where the weather is bike-friendly for more of the year than Minneapolis - which is to say, most U.S. cities - should be embarrassed.

The benefits of encouraging more bicycle-riding - reduced motor vehicle traffic, reduced emissions, less demand for gasoline, less wear-and-tear on roads, the resulting fitness - more than compensates for the modest costs involved. And the longer the annual bike-season, the more the benefits/costs ratio increases.

Old 06-06-2015, 03:41 PM

^It's also embarrassing for how cheap and highly utilitarian it is. For urban residents bikes are faster than cars or just as fast for shorter trips and for longer trips the time savings are marginal. Minneapolis is under 60 sq mi with mostly everything clustered close toward Downtown, not the outer neighborhoods.

I'm visiting a friend in Lansing and astounded by how little bike infrastructure there is. You can walk from Downtown to Old Town in 20 minutes. I would've had to wait 30 for the next bus and with bikeways you could reach any major district within a half hour: it's not even a half hour from Lansing to East Lansing. But even in a city of 100,000 you have these hostile 3 lane one ways with everyone biking on the sidewalk. Rush hour on these streets is a handful of cars, so clearly lanes could be turned over to bikes with no noticeable effect on traffic. And really, when you can cover a lot of the city by foot in a timely manner, why the insistence to drive? Biking makes so much more sense.

On a national level we've been building our streets for fringe metro commuters who don't even live in the city and pay into city infrastructure.

Old 06-06-2015, 05:09 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,763,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Frankly, those U.S. cities where the weather is bike-friendly for more of the year than Minneapolis - which is to say, most U.S. cities - should be embarrassed.

Kudos to Minneapolis. The rest of the country (especially the warmer weather spots) should take note and build accordingly.

Old 06-06-2015, 06:20 PM

14,799 posts, read 21,425,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mplsite View Post
^It's also embarrassing for how cheap and highly utilitarian it is. For urban residents bikes are faster than cars or just as fast for shorter trips and for longer trips the time savings are marginal. Minneapolis is under 60 sq mi with mostly everything clustered close toward Downtown, not the outer neighborhoods.

I'm visiting a friend in Lansing and astounded by how little bike infrastructure there is. You can walk from Downtown to Old Town in 20 minutes. I would've had to wait 30 for the next bus and with bikeways you could reach any major district within a half hour: it's not even a half hour from Lansing to East Lansing. But even in a city of 100,000 you have these hostile 3 lane one ways with everyone biking on the sidewalk. Rush hour on these streets is a handful of cars, so clearly lanes could be turned over to bikes with no noticeable effect on traffic. And really, when you can cover a lot of the city by foot in a timely manner, why the insistence to drive? Biking makes so much more sense.

On a national level we've been building our streets for fringe metro commuters who don't even live in the city and pay into city infrastructure.
No they aren't.

Old 06-06-2015, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
No they aren't.
That must be why I catch up to the same cars ten or so blocks away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
View detailed profiles of: