Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 02:04 PM

2 posts, read 9,554 times

Advertisements

I've failed twice (once at rochester and once uncontrollably at chaska because my car broke down.) I want to take it soon because it's summer and I really want the freedom of driving! Does anybody have any tips for the Chaska, Minnesota drivers test?? Like what day to do it, what to focus on, where we will go, maybe even a map?? I would really appreciate any help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2015, 04:56 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
I can't say for sure but sometimes people never manage to pass their license exam and learn to depend on other means of transit

Old 06-07-2015, 05:54 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,709,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I can't say for sure but sometimes people never manage to pass their license exam and learn to depend on other means of transit
I have heard that this is one reason bike commuting is becoming so much more popular- the driver's test is getting harder every year.

Old 06-07-2015, 08:43 PM

579 posts, read 664,467 times
What about the written test then?

Old 06-07-2015, 09:16 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,767,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudeba View Post
I've failed twice (once at rochester and once uncontrollably at chaska because my car broke down.) I want to take it soon because it's summer and I really want the freedom of driving! Does anybody have any tips for the Chaska, Minnesota drivers test?? Like what day to do it, what to focus on, where we will go, maybe even a map?? I would really appreciate any help!!!
What day to do it: At a date and time you can get an appointment.
What to focus on: Driving properly while following all laws. Obviously.
Where we will go: around Chaska. It's not a large town.
A map: Google Maps are your friend.

Check this out!

Old 06-07-2015, 09:18 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,767,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvanung View Post
What about the written test then?
What about it? One must take and pass the written test before one is issued a permit. Then one must have some experience driving with a licensed driver before taking the road test to get a license.

Old 06-08-2015, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
What about it? One must take and pass the written test before one is issued a permit. Then one must have some experience driving with a licensed driver before taking the road test to get a license.
The reason why I'm inquiring about the difficulty of the written test is because, with a Canadian or an US license from another state, you can obtain a Minnesota one if you pass the written test and can show proof of residency when taking it.

Old 06-08-2015, 10:06 AM

6 posts, read 24,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvanung View Post
The reason why I'm inquiring about the difficulty of the written test is because, with a Canadian or an US license from another state, you can obtain a Minnesota one if you pass the written test and can show proof of residency when taking it.

If it's the same as the written permit test, then it's pretty easy. I just read through the MN driver's manual (2015 version here: https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/dvs/for...ers_Manual.pdf) once and passed without a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudeba View Post
My test was on a closed course in Eagan, so I'm afraid I can't offer advice specific to on-street exams. But I can offer some general advice.

1. First and foremost, the driving test is a performance. You need to clearly demonstrate that you can operate the vehicle safely and effectively. You need to exaggerate all your looks. Turn your entire head (within reason) when checking mirrors. Turn your head to look in both directions when approaching an intersection. Even if it's a t-intersection, look both ways. Remember: It doesn't matter that you're checking your mirrors if the examiner can't see you doing it.

2. It should go without saying, but make sure the radio is off and your cell phone is set to silent. A/C is OK for hot days, and heat is fine for cold ones. There shouldn't be anything in the car that an examiner could interpret as a distraction.

3. Check very carefully for "No Turn on Red" signs when you're instructed to make a right turn at an intersection with a light.

4. I'm not sure how prevalent they are in Chaska, but be careful with one-way streets. If you're one and you're told to turn, your safest bet is to get into the closest lane possible to the direction of the turn.

5. This is just a guess, but mid to late morning might be the best time for a test, especially if it's on city streets. It should be late enough to avoid rush hour traffic, but early enough that the examiner won't have had as many potential causes of a bad mood.

Don't feel too bad. A number of people fail on their first/second/etc. attempts. Take a look at this Google Maps satellite shot of the Eagan course: http://i.imgur.com/fnGZ6SE.png

From what I can tell, the red circle seems to be driving in the wrong direction in that lane. The blue circle appears to be turning from the wrong lane (it's four lanes in one direction, so only the left two lanes are legal for turning). The green circle appears to be failing parallel parking, considering how steep that angle is.

Old 06-08-2015, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by govikings View Post
If it's the same as the written permit test, then it's pretty easy. I just read through the MN driver's manual (2015 version here: https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/dvs/for...ers_Manual.pdf) once and passed without a problem.
How different are the Minnesota driving regulations from Quebec's (other than French vs. English and metric vs. Imperial)?

Old 06-08-2015, 02:25 PM

878 posts, read 1,207,375 times
@Yvanung: The actual laws aren't all that different (other than you can turn right on red here)-- BUT the laws are different enough that you have to study-- the test, or at least the practice tests I've seen online are HIGHLY specific (i.e. how many feet before an intersection must you signal-- how many days will your license be suspended after your 1st DWI conviction-- what's the penalty for driving speeds in excess of 100mph-- etc)-- answers that you likely won't be able to answer without reviewing the material (though some of it, of course, is intuitive and easily guessed-- but not all).

It's not a difficult exam, it's just detailed-- and a good bit of it doesn't have to do with driving as it does with knowledge of specific MN statutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul