Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 06:41 PM

35 posts, read 45,570 times

Advertisements

Hit me with your list! I can do the research on home prices and schools, etc but it is hard to gauge traffic and commute times. Husband would likely be commuting on the early side of typical business hours. We just don't want to deal with anything over 30 minutes as we have lived in some of the worst traffic cities in the nation and are now spoiled with a 10 minute commute door to door.

Thanks!

Last edited by Seven4and2; 06-16-2015 at 06:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 06:59 PM

520 posts, read 775,494 times
This isn't LA, NYC, DC, SFO etc. You will have many options within 30 minutes of the airport. What exactly are you looking for?

If you drew a circle with a 15 or so mile radius from the airport, pretty much all of those places would be within 30 minutes, unless you are commuting at peak rush hour times.

Old 06-16-2015, 07:35 PM

35 posts, read 45,570 times
We're not sure yet if we want to go urban and aim for a condo or go suburban SFH. Our biggest factor will be commute and schools. I enjoy researching the different communities, so I would rather not pigeon hole us at this point.

I have read about areas where crossing the river adds significantly to the commute time. I have also read that it is probably better to stay south of the city. Do we thus need to stay south and west or is the commute over the river manageable within 30 minutes?

I have read so many threads here about the suburban communities south and southwest. Is traffic the main reason to avoid looking northward? Any reasons OTHER than traffic to avoid looking north of the airport?

Old 06-16-2015, 08:04 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Rosemount

seen from a distance, the lights of the refinery are like a million Tinkerbells welcoming you home in the evening

Old 06-16-2015, 08:07 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
The reason you're not hearing about suburbs directly north of the airport is that that puts you in Minneapolis. St. Paul right on the other side of the river has some great family-oriented neighborhoods, too. Unless you mean the northern 'burbs in general (north being in context of their relationship to downtown), but then the main reason would be traffic. I can't imagine that you'll find something so drastically different or better in a northern suburb that you couldn't find in a more convenient location.

For the far south Minneapolis neighborhoods, just be aware of airport noise -- but you will find out quickly if the block you're looking at is too loud for your tastes.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:44 PM

878 posts, read 1,206,787 times
You have a number of places to choose from-- your budget, wishlist/priorities, and your kids' interests might help to decide which locale would be best.

I'd definitely encourage you to check out SW Minneapolis-- there's some fantastic neighborhoods and, while in a city, the streets are tree lined and feel suburban-ish while still being highly walkable-- and great restaurants and amenities, too. I'm not an expert on the schools there, but there are other posters here who are. As mentioned, some areas are directly in a flight path, so be sure to keep that in mind. While I live in the 'burbs, we find ourselves spending more and more time in Minneapolis exploring restaurants and shops. If I had a smaller familly and/or my kids were younger and/or my husband was more willing to consider a smaller (and, in my opinion, more charming!) home-- I'd be living in SW Minneapolis in a hot minute.

If the suburbs are more your style-- you have a bunch to choose from as well-- I live in the western suburbs and while I can, without traffic, easily get to the airport within 30 minutes, there are so many other options that are closer that would work as well if not better-- no need to take on a longer commute than is necessary. I'm not the most knowledgeable about other suburbs (just moved her a year ago) or commute time (I work from home)--- but there are some great areas of Bloomington that you might want to check out; since the airport is technically in Bloomington, that might be where you'd want to start and then move out in concentric circles. Best of luck!

Old 06-16-2015, 08:50 PM

367 posts, read 545,033 times
If you like suburban environments, I recommend Eagan, Apple Valley, or Rosemount. All are great communities with good schools and even though they're south of the river, they sport very easy commutes to the airport (around 15 to 20 minutes). Cedar Ave is the main highway to take to the airport but if that route is backed up, you can simply take Pilot Knob Road to the Mendota Bridge and exit at West Highway 5 to the airport.

Another suburb to consider is Bloomington, specifically the South Loop. There are no single family homes in that area but there are some very nice condos along the Blue Line light rail which you can take directly to the airport.

South Minneapolis is a good choice if you're looking to be in the city as it is quite close to the airport as well.

Due to current flight paths, airplane noise is something to consider in parts of Eagan, Bloomington, and Minneapolis.

Old 06-17-2015, 08:42 AM

182 posts, read 197,216 times
If you're interested in living in the city also consider Saint Paul. Both Highland and MacGroveland are easy commutes to the airport with the added bonus of virtually no airplane noise.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:23 AM

1,365 posts, read 1,883,335 times
I would encourage you to look into Highland Park in Saint Paul. It is right by the airport (10 minutes or less) and it has a mix of housing styles that would appeal to just about everyone—teeny little ranch homes to million-dollar-plus riverfront properties. In addition to being close to the airport, it is also fairly centrally located within the metro area and more or less free from airplane noise. The area around Ford and Cleveland (streets) is a great, walkable commercial node with independent shops and restaurants, a top-quality grocery store, and soon it will have one of the first mini-Target stores in the country.

ETA: Looks like cathedralhill beat me to the Highland recommendation. I personally live in MacGroveland, and I second the recommendation there too. It's a bit further from the airport but still very convenient; when I pick friends or family up at the airport I have them call me when they land and by the time they have collected their luggage I am already waiting for them outside.

Old 06-17-2015, 11:54 AM

2,578 posts, read 2,067,004 times
A benefit of Highland Park and other St. Paul locations is flow of traffic.

I used to live in Eagan and drove through Highland Park to and from work, occasionally taking I-35 when needed. The bulk of the rush hour traffic is going into MSP in the mornings and out in the afternoons, with very little going against that flow. Highland Park to the Airport would be a great little commute, IMO. MacGroveland just a bit longer. Both are wonderful areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul