Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 12:13 PM

4 posts, read 10,166 times

Advertisements

Thank you for all the feedback I think we are just going to go check it out in a few months. Any suggestions on where to look for cheaper rent and close to downtown?

We have thought of chicago but a down fall of fort myers is the cost of living, we are in the lower middle class here and back in utah for what we pay now we would be middle or upper middle class and still not broke. SO the goal is to find somplace with a city scene and to pay a little less with the type of jobs we have now and we are both still planning on school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 07:37 PM

4 posts, read 10,166 times
Well we have to decided to go and check it out are there any places we should look for rent and a younger mixer of people?

Old 01-25-2008, 08:17 PM

42 posts, read 130,485 times
Good for you. It seems like you would want to be either in Uptown or near the University.

Old 01-26-2008, 03:32 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngurbanprofessional View Post
This is what is excitement to Minnesotans: going up north to the cabin, fishing, ice fishing, cross-country skiing, snow-mobiling, jumping on and off the sports teams bandwagon, bars closing at 1:00 am, no public transportation so you drive home drunk and get a DUI, shopping.
Those activities are indeed excitement to SOME Minnesotans, not all. As a correction most bars I know of close at 2:00AM. There is a light rail, buses and taxis for public transportation. It is true if you drive drunk you could get a DUI, if you plan on driving drunk, don't move to Minneapolis. If you wanna live in a city where DUI's are given to make roads safer to travel on, Minneapolis might be the city for you.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:09 PM

93 posts, read 367,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Those activities are indeed excitement to SOME Minnesotans, not all. As a correction most bars I know of close at 2:00AM. There is a light rail, buses and taxis for public transportation. It is true if you drive drunk you could get a DUI, if you plan on driving drunk, don't move to Minneapolis. If you wanna live in a city where DUI's are given to make roads safer to travel on, Minneapolis might be the city for you.
The light rail is a joke, I can't believe you're even bringing that up as an argument for public transportation. You'd be better off saying there's SOME busses.

Minneapolis is definately cheaper, many retail and labor jobs available, rent is fairly low. But there's not a lot of money to be made either.

Sounds like you guys are trying to escape high cost than pursue successful careers.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:17 PM

284 posts, read 1,656,926 times
Quote:
The light rail is a joke, I can't believe you're even bringing that up as an argument for public transportation.
It has to start somewhere. By way of contrast, Mpls' pub trans is to Chicago's as Chicago's is to New York's. I think a person can only sort of get around Chicago (city only) via the train. Whereas in NYC, you can - and people do - go just about everywhere. Except Staten Island, but that's no big loss. Worldwide, Chicago's public transportation ranks quite low for a city of its size. I really don't think you want to tout that as a major selling point for Chicago.

Quote:
Sounds like you guys are trying to escape high cost than pursue successful careers.
It's great that you're proud of your own success, but you simply demonstrate your own ignorance and immaturity by implying that those living in the twin cities are unsuccessful and make little money. As someone who has lived in NYC, which has a much higher cost of living for the average person than Chicago, I can tell you that salaries for comparable jobs do not generally measure up to cost of living variances. In fact, one would be considered quite intelligent to live in a lower cost city, because the pay for a comparable job would likely be the same. Move around a bit and you will learn this fact quickly.

Old 01-28-2008, 07:19 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
Quote:
The light rail is a joke, I can't believe you're even bringing that up as an argument for public transportation.
It isn't much yet but we will have a serious rail system in the near future. There are plans for building at least 3 more light rail lines in the next 8-10 years.

It wasn't my major argument for public transportation in the city but it is at least worth mentioning.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:04 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,759,688 times
Quote:
you got us. Everyone in Minneapolis is secretly poor and we have dead end jobs...dont tell anyone though!

Old 01-30-2008, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbeet View Post
It's great that you're proud of your own success, but you simply demonstrate your own ignorance and immaturity by implying that those living in the twin cities are unsuccessful and make little money. As someone who has lived in NYC, which has a much higher cost of living for the average person than Chicago, I can tell you that salaries for comparable jobs do not generally measure up to cost of living variances. In fact, one would be considered quite intelligent to live in a lower cost city, because the pay for a comparable job would likely be the same. Move around a bit and you will learn this fact quickly.
I didn't say anything about myself or success, it's irrelevant. I'm not talking salaries or cost of living in any sense. I'm curious to why YOU mention it, sounds like you're bitter about something.

My argument is that the job market sucks for the younger educated workforce in the twin cities and I'm inquiring if the OP is more interested in being able to find job in the career they want to pursue or if they are just trying to reduce costs.

Old 01-30-2008, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbeet View Post
It has to start somewhere. By way of contrast, Mpls' pub trans is to Chicago's as Chicago's is to New York's. I think a person can only sort of get around Chicago (city only) via the train. Whereas in NYC, you can - and people do - go just about everywhere. Except Staten Island, but that's no big loss. Worldwide, Chicago's public transportation ranks quite low for a city of its size. I really don't think you want to tout that as a major selling point for Chicago.
In recent analysis Chicago actually is ranked 5th in the nation in public transportation, new york is 4th. Chicago has an EXCELLENT Rail system stretching well beyond the city and to other states. There are 3 trans authorities in the Chicagoland area, the CTA (city bus/elevated train), Metra (train stretching from city to far outlying suburbs), and PACE (bus system in the suburbs). I've never felt it was difficult to go anywhere in the area, that is just a pure lie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul