Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 07:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,408 times

Advertisements

If I buy land and ask a builder to construct a house for me, what are the difficulties need to face?
Is it a complex process? Will that be cheaper? Please advice.

The reason I am asking this is most of the new single homes are above $300K. My budget is only 200K.
Most of the new homes are located around 25 miles to 30 miles distance, which I don't prefer to travel every day two times. I live in edina. My office is in eden prairie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 07:44 PM

67 posts, read 59,729 times
Currently looking into a VERY similar situation as this, so I am following as well!

Old 07-14-2015, 08:48 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,728,110 times
I'm no expert, but I don't think most people build new homes because they can't afford to build an existing one. Any time you start to get involved in renovation or construction it's always more money than you expect, and it sounds like you're on a tight budget. Instead of (I assume) renting while you wait for a house to be built, why not save that money and buy a place when you can afford it? Or look for a cheaper home -- it may be smaller and older, but you should be able to find something under 200k. This link, although not totally current, says local bare-basic building costs in this area start at $80/sqf, not including the land. or, I would suspect, many other related start-up costs.

Cost of New Homes in the Twin Cities Minnesota

Old 07-15-2015, 11:59 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,041,688 times
one advantage that I can think of, is a chance to wear a hard hat backwards with the word "OWNER" largely displayed on it and walk around the construction site annoying all the workers with endless inane questions, change requests and suggestions on how they could be doing their jobs better....at long last, Revenge would be MINE!

Old 07-15-2015, 01:21 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,708,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svaitla View Post
If I buy land and ask a builder to construct a house for me, what are the difficulties need to face?
Is it a complex process? Will that be cheaper? Please advice.

The reason I am asking this is most of the new single homes are above $300K. My budget is only 200K.
Most of the new homes are located around 25 miles to 30 miles distance, which I don't prefer to travel every day two times. I live in edina. My office is in eden prairie.
It could be cheaper than a low end new SF home if you somehow pay less for the lot and/ or make the house significantly smaller. You can't save money by cutting corners because they already cut as many corners as they can in the low end market by using cheap materials and fixtures.

You could potentially save money by having a builder erect a shell and finishing off the interior yourself, but that is going to require some building skills and expertise.

Good luck.

Old 07-15-2015, 02:55 PM

44 posts, read 63,475 times
The price of land in the Minneapolis, St Paul proper is going to take up a third of that 200K.
Doesn't leave you much to build A home. You will have to head out to the smaller towns to find decent priced land.
Also the cost of building is going up real fast.

Old 07-15-2015, 03:00 PM

379 posts, read 359,273 times
I have read stories of people who have built those "Dwell Magazine" pre-fab homes as an option to expensive 'traditional' builders. I think one of the designers of such homes is based in Minneapolis. I stayed in one in Arizona (LV Home) and I thought it was really cool. I would rather live in a house like that than in most of the inexpensive but severely outdated homes available in the MSP area (including the one I currently live in). Take a look at Wee House and LV Home. I think there are others too...

Alchemy Architects | Home of the weeHouse
Rocio Romero, modern design and prefab architecture

Old 07-15-2015, 09:26 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,728,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne Bjornson View Post
I have read stories of people who have built those "Dwell Magazine" pre-fab homes as an option to expensive 'traditional' builders. I think one of the designers of such homes is based in Minneapolis. I stayed in one in Arizona (LV Home) and I thought it was really cool. I would rather live in a house like that than in most of the inexpensive but severely outdated homes available in the MSP area (including the one I currently live in). Take a look at Wee House and LV Home. I think there are others too...

Alchemy Architects | Home of the weeHouse
Rocio Romero, modern design and prefab architecture
Some of those homes are really nice, but when we looked into them -- mostly out of curiosity, admittedly, not because we were going to be building one -- they can still pretty expensive. Tumbleweed is another option, and has some really nice options (both more traditional and modern) that include some quite spacious places (not huge, but big enough for a small family). But not necessarily the cheapest option available. could be doable if they get a really good deal on the land.

Old 07-16-2015, 06:49 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,708,200 times
Manufactured housing is another low cost option if you can find a cheap lot somewhere.

Old 07-16-2015, 09:29 AM

442 posts, read 593,362 times
You'll be hard-pressed to build new for $200k or less, unless you get the lot for free. I know people love brand new shiny things, but a previously owned home is a much better value. And you might be surprised with a little creativity what you can find within your budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul