Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 04:05 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,883,335 times

Advertisements

Perception-wise I would put St. Thomas and Hamline a notch above Bethel and Augsburg, although others may have differing opinions. If Hamline is offering you a good aid package, more of your credits would transfer, and you would be able to start sooner I think it sounds like a complete no-brainer to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 05:10 PM

574 posts, read 688,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaulGal View Post
Perception-wise I would put St. Thomas and Hamline a notch above Bethel and Augsburg, although others may have differing opinions. If Hamline is offering you a good aid package, more of your credits would transfer, and you would be able to start sooner I think it sounds like a complete no-brainer to me.
It really does sound lije a no brainer at this, especially looking at the responses. At first aid packages were similar, but Hamline sent me a revised aid package this weekend and it'll be tough to beat. Funny thing is I went for last Thursday and I told them about the other schools. I wonder if that had anything to do with it. Thanks for your input.

Old 08-03-2015, 05:40 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Schroeder View Post
I think they are all perceived about equally by employers, with Bethel being considered more of a religious school.

Not from the area, but I'm a college counselor. Bethel is thought of as more of as more Christian than the others. That can be a good thing if you intend to work in an Evangelical Christian environment.

Several of the schools you mentioned are Christian of some sort. Augsburg is Lutheran, and while their are many opportunities for religious involvement, it is not as "Christian" in culture as Bethel. The student body is more diverse, which I think is a plus.

Among college counselors, it is well thought of as an up and coming college to watch.

Just something to think about.

Old 08-03-2015, 06:14 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,705,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Not from the area, but I'm a college counselor. Bethel is thought of as more of as more Christian than the others. That can be a good thing if you intend to work in an Evangelical Christian environment.

Several of the schools you mentioned are Christian of some sort. Augsburg is Lutheran, and while their are many opportunities for religious involvement, it is not as "Christian" in culture as Bethel. The student body is more diverse, which I think is a plus.

Among college counselors, it is well thought of as an up and coming college to watch.

Just something to think about.
Not the first warning in this thread about Bethel being too Christian. The posters may be unaware but there's some subtle bigotry going on here. As you say, just something to think about.

Old 08-03-2015, 07:43 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,706,460 times
Not subtle bigotry (I was first response about Bethel, I went there, married my wife whom I met thee and am a fairly religious Evangelical myself). It's a major draw/reason many students go there. It's also a very good school academically. Nursing and sciences are well regarded iirc. Lots of grads from business go into large corporate jobs in the area.

But honestly if someone could 'take or leave' a strongly religious atmosphere I'd reconsider Bethel. I had a few roommates who weren't particularly religious and it wasn't the best fit.

Let me be clear - it's not a bible college (like Crown). It's a liberal arts school with an evangelical confession statement (and lifestyle expectations).

Old 08-03-2015, 08:20 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Not the first warning in this thread about Bethel being too Christian. The posters may be unaware but there's some subtle bigotry going on here. As you say, just something to think about.
I don't think it's bigotry. I didn't interpret the comments to be that Bethel is "too" Christian. But it IS religious in a way that the other colleges on the list are not. For the people I know who went to Bethel, the fact that faith was so integrated into the university's culture was important; it's what sets it apart from other schools. And that's what makes it such a good fit for some students, but would not be a good fit for others.

Old 08-03-2015, 08:45 PM

878 posts, read 1,206,787 times
As a recruiter, I would say that where you go to school, especially for undergrad, is far less important than you might think. Yes, it likely does matter for your first job, as the strength of the career center will often help to find you your first job-- and alumni networks are important, but all of those schools, obviously, have strong networks throughout MN. For grad school, for some degrees (i.e. MBA), taking on extra debt for a "premier" school *might* make sense-- but none of the schools mentioned are SO far above any of the other ones that would make it worthwhile to saddle yourself with excess loans.

Long story short: If you have an opportunity to attend school without accumulating debt (or minimizing your student debt), GO FOR IT.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:03 PM

431 posts, read 449,417 times
It's not bigotry to say Bethel is a religious school, that is how they market themselves and a big reason why students go there.

It's much different than the other schools in that regard. For example you can get kicked out of Bethel for drinking alcohol, off campus, even if you're 21. You can get suspended for having sex or gambling or kicked out for living with a member of the opposite sex - even off campus.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:46 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,093,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ambitious View Post
I have two years left and I was accepted into four schools in the area( St. Thomas, Hamline, Bethel, and Augsburg). I know Macalester and the U of M are the two big dogs in town lol. However, I didn't apply to the U of M in time and never submitted an app to Macalester. I thought about posting in the education forum but I wanted some opinions from twin city area residents.

How do you view these four schools? If it helps, St Thomas is my favorite but less credits will transfer and it'll take longer to graduate. Hamline is offering the best package and is also intriguing. Bethel and Augsburg are interesting as well and are offering a little less than Hamline. Can anyone who's familiar with these school offer any input? I'm looking to start in spring but I could start at Hamline this fall considering their financial aid package.
I graduated from St. Thomas. Feel free to message me.

Old 08-04-2015, 09:26 AM

574 posts, read 688,721 times
Thanks for the replies as they were all very informative. It looks like it'll be Hamline based on the aid package and it's location close to home (St Paul) and work (3M). I really did enjoy visiting all the schools, especially St. Thomas. I really don't want to graduate with a lot of debt and since you all said they are all on par with each other, then Hamline looks like a winner for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul