U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 12:21 PM

19 posts, read 109,873 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! My name is Jen and I am a mother to 2 beautiful baby girls, a current military wife, and a working mom. My life is about to change! My husband and I are moving the family back to our roots...MN!! We are both taking jobs in Minneapolis/St. Paul area, and although we are both originally from MN, we're not from the Twin Cities. I'm looking for help choosing a SAFE, kid friendly, and affordable suburb with not too far of a commute to work. I'm a terrible driver, so the shorter commute, the better for everyone! I'm huge on education, so quality schools play a HUGE factor in the suburb we choose. We're looking for a small town feeling.
Since my husband and I were both formerly in the military, we will be starting at the bottom of the "civilian job" totem pole...which is going to be a challenge to find a house that suits our needs for a reasonable price. Our range is going to be around $210,000. Can anyone offer any advice on where to start looking for our new "dream suburb?" Thanks to all! We're excited to get back to MN!

Last edited by MNboundmommy; 01-25-2008 at 12:32 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 12:41 PM

284 posts, read 1,595,006 times
I couldn't tell from your post where you'll be working. Since you want a short commute, that will matter!

Old 01-25-2008, 01:07 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,714,085 times
You can get a 3-bedroom house with about 1,500 square feet for $210k in a very nice suburb but only because of the housing market slump. I know because I have been looking around lately for a friend.

Old 01-26-2008, 09:23 PM

9 posts, read 40,410 times
Hi Jen - we recently moved back to MN, and spent a ton of time looking at houses, school districts, safety, etc. etc. We're still trying to get over the 'sticker-shock' of the price of houses (even with the real estate "slump")! Overall - we have been most 'impressed' with Lakeville. - It seems to have a reputation of being an extremely affluent suburb; however - there are a lot of homes in really great neighborhoods that are pretty affordable (i.e. under 300k). The school district is one of the best in the state, and we were really suprised to find that the property taxes were less than surrounding suburbs. Having said that, Rosemount is a great 'family-friendly' community with another amazing school system. However - the property taxes are steep, and the housing $$ seem to be a bit high. Apple Valley is in the same school district (196) and is very accessible to both minneapolis and st. paul - a good mix of 'older' homes (i.e = more affordable) and newer homes / developments. We're in temporary housing here (closing on our new house in Farmington next week!), and we absolutely LOVE the location to EVERYTHING!

And, if I may recommend an absolutely *amazing* Realtor for you ... he has worked his tail off for us, even when we were still living in Indiana. Please email me if you would like his information. He's not 'pushy' or 'slick' ... my 3-1/2 year old calls him 'Grampa Tim' --- too cute! mod cut

good luck to you & your family! Welcome home!

Last edited by golfgal; 01-27-2008 at 04:22 AM.. Reason: use DM's for personal contacts

Old 01-27-2008, 04:33 AM

20,793 posts, read 57,585,447 times
I would have to disagree with Indyhockeygal about the price/tax differences between Lakeville/Rosemount. If you compare square footage and neighborhoods from Lakeville/Rosemount you will find that Rosemount housing is less then Lakeville and the taxes are about the same per valuation.

Both areas are great but it will all come down to where you are working. If you are working in Maple Grove you don't want to live in Lakeville. There are great suburbs that will give you what you want all over the metro area.

Minnesota is different then most states in that you can pretty much pick any district and have top notch schools. There are only a handful of districts around the metro that aren't as good as the others but even those are better then most of the top districts in other parts of the country.

Old 01-27-2008, 08:42 AM

19 posts, read 109,873 times
I'm not exactly sure where we will work yet. All I know 100% at this point is that we are looking in Minneapolis and St. Paul.
Thank you to ALL! It's such a hard decision, but I feel more informed thanks to your feedback! Keep it coming!

Old 01-27-2008, 09:55 AM

787 posts, read 1,573,085 times
Ramsey County -- easy commutes with a wide variety of housing prices...schools generally good

Old 01-27-2008, 08:28 PM

1,839 posts, read 5,344,026 times
if you're looking for short commute times, living in a close-in suburb, and affordability, I would suggest golden valley, robbinsdale, or brooklyn center for working in minneapolis (these will be 0 - 10 minutes to get into Minneapolis). There are many areas of minneapolis proper that have the feeling of an older suburb that you might want to check out as well.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:14 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,421,863 times
Golden Valley

Old 01-28-2008, 10:26 AM

3 posts, read 20,443 times
I'd like to pose a similar question to the group. We'll be working in the Golden Valley/Minnetonka area. We have the same criteria as noted in the above discussion thread: great schools, good family centered community, lots of activity for kids, bike trails, community rec centers, and small town or country feeling. I'm hoping to keep my commute time to under 30-35 minutes. Relatively flexible on home prices. Hoping to get 4 bedrooms, 2700+ squarefeet, 1/4-1/2 acre, about $350k-$450k.
Many Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul