Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 04:48 PM

579 posts, read 664,223 times

Advertisements

Sorry if I'm asking a stupid question but I didn't even spend a week in Minneapolis (had to shop back and forth, away from Prospect Park and other university districts) and I saw a rather large amount of merchandise (mostly clothes) with the words Ski-U-Mah written on it. I have a long-sleeve shirt with these very words written in yellow on my left sleeve myself.

Yet the only concrete manifestation of Ski-U-Mah I know about is that parking lot close to TCF Bank Stadium... I can't imagine a major research university being so proud of a parking lot (even if said lot was named in an university-wide contest) that it would have such wide offerings of merchandise named after it.

So what exactly is Ski-U-Mah beyond a parking lot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2015, 04:59 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,707,478 times
Ski-U-Mah was a sports cheer from the late 1800s. It was put together by combining a Sioux Indian term for victory (ski) with U-M for the University of Minnesota and adding the "ah" to make it rhyme with rah rah rah, another popular cheer at the time. Ski-U-Mah. It has since evolved into a sort of sports related nickname for the University of Minnesota.

Old 08-09-2015, 05:27 PM

Then what relationship would it bear to the parking lot?

Old 08-09-2015, 07:04 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,726,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvanung View Post
Ski-u-mah came about well before cars were invented, let alone parking lots. I think a safe assumption is that they wanted a University-themed name for the parking lot. The relationship would be the parking lot is at the U of MN, and Ski-U-Mah is a U of MN cheer.

Old 08-09-2015, 08:58 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,797,249 times
Thank you. I've lived here over 6 years and had zero clue WTH it meant.

Old 08-09-2015, 09:30 PM

2,578 posts, read 2,067,640 times
In the umn rouser:
University of Minnesota Official Athletic Site - Traditions

And as Glenfield and UU write, been around since the 1800s:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ski-U-Mah_(slogan)

Old 08-10-2015, 03:04 PM

Quote:
I think you need to let go of the parking lot association.

It's as if you saw a bar named Mill City Bar here and asked why Mill City. I would explain that Minneapolis is called Mill City because of the flour mills that lined the river. The appropriate follow up question would not be to ask about the relationship between flour and a bar because there is no relationship.

There is no relationship between the term Ski-U-Mah and a parking lot. They simply used a name for the university for the parking lot.

Old 08-18-2015, 03:28 PM

Behold, the Ski-U-Mah Parking Lot!

As for where the parking lot is, in relation to the campus at large: http://www1.umn.edu/pts/maps/Library/pdf/EBank15.pdf

Old 08-18-2015, 03:38 PM

Quote:

Behold, the Ski-U-Mah Parking Lot!

As for where the parking lot is, in relation to the campus at large: http://www1.umn.edu/pts/maps/Library/pdf/EBank15.pdf
And your point is what? So they used a nickname for the university for a parking lot at the university. It would be like see a parking lot called the Badger Lot at UW Madison. How does this not make sense to you?

You write very well but I wonder from your user name if perhaps English is your second language and somehow the idea of a custom like this might be escaping you.

Old 08-18-2015, 04:49 PM

878 posts, read 1,207,054 times
It's the same as if there was a parking lot in Montreal happened to be called GO, HABS, GO-- nothing more, nothing less. Welcome to MN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul