Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2015, 11:47 AM

327 posts, read 526,768 times

Advertisements

Would like to see a comparison table or chart that lists property tax rates for the different cities in the metro area.

The closest I've been able to find so far is this one - Property Tax Calculator - and it's not quite what I want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 07:45 AM

442 posts, read 594,221 times
I have a map on my website that shows city-by-city what you'd be paying for property taxes on a $250,000 home. Unfortunately I can't post the link or I'll be flagged for advertising, but you can get my URL through my username, or DM me and I'll send you the link.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:30 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,073,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryaninMSP View Post
I have a map on my website that shows city-by-city what you'd be paying for property taxes on a $250,000 home. Unfortunately I can't post the link or I'll be flagged for advertising, but you can get my URL through my username, or DM me and I'll send you the link.
Nice resource, Bryan. Other maps are interesting, too.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
Nice resource, Bryan. Other maps are interesting, too.
Thanks, Woody.

Old 09-04-2015, 11:00 AM

Thanks for sharing that, Bryan. What was your source?

I'm actually looking for more detail than that. I'd like to see the actual rates in a sorted (or sortable) list.

On this same topic, I'm also curious how the rates are decided. Do cities have tiered rates, and if so, what's the algorithm for deciding which tier to apply to a particular house?

Old 09-04-2015, 12:18 PM

All of the information came straight from the League of Minnesota Cities.

I can't speak to the specifics of the formula the cities use, but if I remember correctly from my days as a newspaper reporter, they charge a different factor between commercial property and residential, but that the percentage charged to each is the same across the board. Cities figure out their budget first and then work backwards to figure out the percentage charged to each home on a value basis. So, if you have a relatively inexpensive home compared to the median in your city, you'll pay less in taxes than if your home were closer to or above the median for the city (even if the home value was the same in those two different cities).

Old 09-04-2015, 02:15 PM

So cities have 2 ways to raise more money thru property taxes: to increase the percentage charged or to increase the "market" value.

Old 09-04-2015, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakimono View Post
So cities have 2 ways to raise more money thru property taxes: to increase the percentage charged or to increase the "market" value.
I think the League of Minnesota Cities explains it better than I could:

League Releases New Property Tax FAQ Resource
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul