Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 07:25 PM

72,978 posts, read 62,563,721 times

Advertisements

For spring break 2008, my plan is to go to Minneapolis. I know it is going to be cold and snow on the ground is a given. Cold weather doesn't matter to me. I just want to know what kinds of activities there are in early March. I am open to alot of things. I know there are plenty of lakes around, but I would like to know more at least for the month of March.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 06:42 AM

284 posts, read 1,657,002 times
You might still be able to get some skiing in at that time of the year. Either Minneapolis Parks or Three Rivers Park District websites will give you great info about where to go for skiing, sledding, tubing, etc. All the places have rental skis.

Check out the museums. Not sure which exhibits will be there in March - Frida Kahlo just closed at the Walker, Georgia O'Keefe at MIA - but there's always something to see.

Spend some time walking around Uptown and Downtown Mpls. Look into the walking tours in St. Paul. They may not be active in March, but they may have some indoor tours of the historic homes.

Have fun!

Old 01-28-2008, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbeet View Post
You might still be able to get some skiing in at that time of the year. Either Minneapolis Parks or Three Rivers Park District websites will give you great info about where to go for skiing, sledding, tubing, etc. All the places have rental skis.

Check out the museums. Not sure which exhibits will be there in March - Frida Kahlo just closed at the Walker, Georgia O'Keefe at MIA - but there's always something to see.

Spend some time walking around Uptown and Downtown Mpls. Look into the walking tours in St. Paul. They may not be active in March, but they may have some indoor tours of the historic homes.

Have fun!
I'm open to some snow activity. Atlanta,GA just had a dusting of snow the weekend of 19 January and I was sad to see it all melt away in a day. Man did I have a snowball fight.
Museums are good. I just don't want to be spending my time doing nothing but shopping and eating.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:24 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,467,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
For spring break 2008, my plan is to go to Minneapolis. I know it is going to be cold and snow on the ground is a given. Cold weather doesn't matter to me. I just want to know what kinds of activities there are in early March. I am open to alot of things. I know there are plenty of lakes around, but I would like to know more at least for the month of March.
Is the Winter Festival still on? I can't remember what date it closes but that might be something fun to attend. The zoos will be open and the one in Apple Valley for sure has events all year round (Minnesota Zoo/Current Events). I don't know the Como zoo but I'm sure it does too. There will be indoor and outdoor skating available.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:15 AM

2,507 posts, read 8,560,300 times
There should be some shows also. Look into the Hennepin Theaters (State, Orpheum and Pantages). You could watch the Timberwolves lose too.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:26 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,076,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
There should be some shows also. Look into the Hennepin Theaters (State, Orpheum and Pantages). You could watch the Timberwolves lose too.
The T-puppies have actually done fairly well the last 4-5 games. Gave KG and his new cohorts a run for their money, too, before losing.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:20 PM

93 posts, read 367,462 times
Quote:
Spring time is a very odd time of year usually in Minnesota. In terms of activities, baseball and track and other sports are just getting started, it's inbetween ice and lake fishing seasons, and skiing is an option but reliant on weather.

That is the key word for March: weather.

Minnesota will have some very erratic and inconsistent weather patterns during this time. It can warm up to the 50's one day to melt all the snow and then freeze down to 10 degrees the next causing ice everywhere, then snow on top of it causing a mess. This can really happen anytime during the winter, but March is particularly inconsistent. I played baseball growing up all through varsity senior year. We never knew if we were practicing inside or outside. It was even still snowing by our first game of the season often enough.

You really can't plan for March weather, you kind of have to play it by ear.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:00 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,467,922 times
FYI: March is also traditionally the month we get the last big blizzard of the season.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngurbanprofessional View Post
Spring time is a very odd time of year usually in Minnesota. In terms of activities, baseball and track and other sports are just getting started, it's inbetween ice and lake fishing seasons, and skiing is an option but reliant on weather.

That is the key word for March: weather.

Minnesota will have some very erratic and inconsistent weather patterns during this time. It can warm up to the 50's one day to melt all the snow and then freeze down to 10 degrees the next causing ice everywhere, then snow on top of it causing a mess. This can really happen anytime during the winter, but March is particularly inconsistent. I played baseball growing up all through varsity senior year. We never knew if we were practicing inside or outside. It was even still snowing by our first game of the season often enough.

You really can't plan for March weather, you kind of have to play it by ear.
That's okay. If it snows, I couldn't be happier.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:11 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,464,579 times
Quote:
In Minneapolis, the Mall of America and its majestic State Capitol are worth visiting. As is the picturesque town of Stillwater just to the east of the metro area

Outside Minneapolis, Lake Itasca (where the Mississippi River begins - 4 hour trip) and Duluth (2 hour drive) are worth taking day trips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul