U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2015, 10:58 AM

5 posts, read 6,288 times

Advertisements

Hi,
So me and my boyfriend are looking at getting an apartment and we're having a heck of a time finding a place that allows our dogs.

I know of all the things you can do to try to talk a landlord into it, but we'd rather not have to go through all that, unless we have to.

We're not moving until November, so we still have time.

Does anyone know of anywhere in the twin cities area that would allow her?

We're NOT giving up on our dog.

Thanks!
-Ashley
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 11:10 AM

878 posts, read 1,025,989 times
Almost no apartments will allow dogs from the "banned" breed list, which, sadly, GSDs are on (for the record, I have a GSD; BEST.BREED.EVER) I believe that it's due to insurance and it's likely completely non-negotiable. Also, even if the breed isn't an issue, the size of the dog likely will be. The few places that we looked into that didn't ban GSDs had a 30 or 50lb limit.

Your best, and possibly only, option is to find a privately owned property and rent directly-- your odds will be great improved if you are willing to furnish a statement from your vet and/or current landlord about how wonderful your pup is.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:15 AM

I've been putting together a portfolio on her so that we can just hand the landlord a booklet containing everything they need to know and letters of recommendation for her, as well.
Unfortunately, it's really hard to even find privately owned places, at all, to even contact anyone.
I feel like I hit a brick wall
I just want to get a place so we can get her up to a healthy weight, again. She lost A LOT of weight while not in our care, so we NEED to get a place.

Old 08-26-2015, 12:34 PM

I found our place (and rented sight unseen, as we ran into the same issue as you) by using Padmapper-- it sources from Craigslist, the MLS, and a few other sites (it works best on a laptop or desktop, the mobile interface doesn't work well, at all, unfortunately). I was even able to find a few places willing to consider our two big dogs that didn't initially have a pet friendly designation.

Since you're seemingly flexible on location, that will help tremendously, but the rental market is tight, so even without a dog, let alone a "banned breed", it's a challenge-- just keep at it, you only need to find ONE place-- and even if it's not perfect in all other ways, if they're willing to accept your pup, it's likely best to grab it.

Old 08-26-2015, 04:35 PM

THanks for the lead!
Any tips on being able to find a landlord that will allow her? Otherwise I guess i'll have to call/email a bunch of places lol
The only thing I want it to have is to allow her, and my rental limit is also pretty high. As long as it has walls; i
m good :P

Old 09-04-2015, 06:54 PM

1,138 posts, read 891,191 times
Just curious why she isn.t in your care and has extreme weight loss. Why not rent a small house with a yard? A GSD in an apartment seems a bit unfair to the dog. Please don.t take me wrong. I am pro-animal all the way. I moved here with a pit mix, which I barely squeaked by the mgmt but they have since gotten on the bully- breed- list bandwagon here. Your dog will be much happier with even a small yard, and a landlord may even be game as the dog is a built in security system! Best of luck.

Old 09-05-2015, 05:16 PM

She is my boyfriend's dog and lives with his exgirlfriend(they got her together) and she's not taking on the necessary responsibilities of owning a dog. His apartment won't allow her, so we're looking for places.

Being in an apartment will be fine with her. We take her on walks and to the dog park everyday. She'll be more than okay in an apartment.

It's easier finding apartments, than houses, that will allow her. We're being completely open to the rentals.

Landlords, don't see the dog in that way, unfortunately.

Old 09-07-2015, 08:21 PM

We had our first GSD when we lived in a downtown condo (in another city)-- she did great; we, too, took her to the dog park and/or for a few long walks daily. GSDs aren't super high energy in the house and they're pretty adaptable-- as long as they're with their people, they're happy. Even when we moved from our under 1000 sq foot condo to a 3000+ sq foot house, she continued to stay in whichever room we were in-- so the size of the house made zero difference to her.

I still stand by my early suggestion, I think you're going to have a challenging time finding an apartment (unless it's a small, privately owned condo)-- I called over two dozen apartment and townhome communities before we moved here and not a single one would accept the breed or, if they didn't have breed restrictions, they had weight restrictions that virtually eliminated the possibility of having a GSD (i.e. 30 or 50 lbs)-- not sure how much your pup weighs when she's at her optimal weight, but most female GSDs are over 70 lbs, let alone 50.

Best of luck-- hope you find a great place that works for all three of you

Old 09-08-2015, 03:50 PM

5,496 posts, read 4,262,336 times
I have enough trouble finding a place to rent with our cat. I can't even imagine with a dog. You just have to call and call and call until you find a place.

Seems like the only places that allow large breed dogs are crappy slumlord run apartments. I lived in one of these one time. There were chew marks all over the window sills and the carpet was torn up.

As a pet owner, it sucks, but if I were a landlord, I would fully understand not allowing dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul