Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 01:39 PM

288 posts, read 344,983 times

Advertisements

Isn't it dangerous to wait for the bus in Minneapolis from say... November to February? Aren't there blizzards during that time?

EDIT: Perhaps my sentence is unclear. I'm not referring to waiting outside for four months straight, I mean if you have to wait outside for the bus at anytime during those months, isn't it dangerous and can't a person get frostbitten?

Last edited by LowTune; 09-05-2015 at 02:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2015, 01:50 PM

442 posts, read 593,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTune View Post
Isn't it dangerous to wait for the bus in Minneapolis from say... November to February? Aren't there blizzards during that time?

EDIT: Perhaps my sentence is unclear. I'm not referring to waiting outside for four months straight, I mean if you have to wait outside for the bus at anytime during those months, isn't it dangerous and can't a person get frostbitten?
Not if they're wearing the proper attire. Hats, gloves, coats and boots will make most daytime temperatures in Minneapolis perfectly safe.

And in a lot of areas, there are shelters at the bus stops.

Old 09-05-2015, 02:08 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,444,654 times
No omg it's not dangerous to go outside in the winter, we don't live on Mars.

Old 09-05-2015, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
No omg it's not dangerous to go outside in the winter, we don't live on Mars.
I read that when you guys' get a blizzard from the north pole, with the windchill factor, temperatures can plummet to -30F. I read from another source that frostbite can occur after being exposed for just 10 minutes to temperatures of -35F.....

Old 09-05-2015, 02:31 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,052,389 times
While we have several days each winter which most people would find to be uncomfortable, it is rare to have days which could reasonably be termed as being "dangerous" under normal circumstances.

Frostbite is a potential problem for exposed skin when the temperature reaches below freezing, so it's important to dress in accordance with the weather. Buses are generally quite frequent in the core portions of the metro area during most parts of the day, so wait times are not generally that long.

Metro Transit provides shelters at a great many stops. They actually have a formula based upon the number of daily boardings to determine whether or not a shelter will be built at a given stop--25 daily boardings in the suburbs, 40 daily boardings in Minneapolis and St Paul. A heated shelter is considered if daily boardings at a stop total 80 passengers and above.

Old 09-05-2015, 02:53 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,817,167 times
Quote:
Isn't in dangerous to wait for the bus in Miami from say... June to November? Aren't there hurricanes during that time?

Or maybe, just maybe, people in Miami have figured out what when a Cat 3 is moving ashore it's best to not head out to the bus stop - you know, in the same way that people in Minneapolis generally avoid the bus stop when it's -25F with a 50 mph gale blowing through?

Old 09-05-2015, 03:24 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,770,618 times
This reminds me of the time I went to California for a conference. I was the only one from Minnesota. People wanted to know why I chose to live somewhere that had snow and ice year round and the temperature never rose above freezing.

OP, blizzards, like hurricanes, are relatively rare. Just be prepared and use common sense.

I rarely wear a winter coat or boots during winter. Only when the temps get super cold do I do that, and that is usually rare.

Old 09-05-2015, 04:31 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,029,470 times
I used to bus in to Minneapolis from Plymouth, and I had to transfer buses after I got downtown. I waited for 20+ minutes in windchills of -20 some mornings, and I never got frostbite. You just need adequate layers and a warm coat, boots, mittens, scarf, and hat and you would be fine. (Of course, I looked like the Michelin Man.)

Old 09-05-2015, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
While we have several days each winter which most people would find to be uncomfortable, it is rare to have days which could reasonably be termed as being "dangerous" under normal circumstances.

Frostbite is a potential problem for exposed skin when the temperature reaches below freezing, so it's important to dress in accordance with the weather. Buses are generally quite frequent in the core portions of the metro area during most parts of the day, so wait times are not generally that long.

Metro Transit provides shelters at a great many stops. They actually have a formula based upon the number of daily boardings to determine whether or not a shelter will be built at a given stop--25 daily boardings in the suburbs, 40 daily boardings in Minneapolis and St Paul. A heated shelter is considered if daily boardings at a stop total 80 passengers and above.
Thanks. How many people will these shelters usually hold?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Isn't in dangerous to wait for the bus in Miami from say... June to November? Aren't there hurricanes during that time?

Or maybe, just maybe, people in Miami have figured out what when a Cat 3 is moving ashore it's best to not head out to the bus stop - you know, in the same way that people in Minneapolis generally avoid the bus stop when it's -25F with a 50 mph gale blowing through?
Horrible analogy. If a person needs to get to work and it's -25F with this 50 MPH "gale" that you speak of, how are they supposed to do thaT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
I used to bus in to Minneapolis from Plymouth, and I had to transfer buses after I got downtown. I waited for 20+ minutes in windchills of -20 some mornings, and I never got frostbite. You just need adequate layers and a warm coat, boots, mittens, scarf, and hat and you would be fine. (Of course, I looked like the Michelin Man.)
I'd imagine thermals help a great deal as well, or maybe that's a myth.

Old 09-05-2015, 04:52 PM

2,895 posts, read 2,144,574 times
Quote:

it can be dangerous and yes you can get frostbite. dress appropriately and you'll be fine. it's not as if the metro area shuts down when it gets cold. a blizzard can slow things down for a bit but they are not a frequent occurrence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul