Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 12:35 PM

17 posts, read 33,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTune View Post
Afraid of powerful women? Nope, I just resent matriarchal societies.
Matriachal societies have powerful women though, so you seem to be contradicting yourself. If you resent matriarchal societies, then you resent societies with powerful women. I can't think of a rational human being who thinks powerful women is a problematic aspect of society. Weak women isn't conducive to a productive society, DUH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 08:44 PM

Location: I roam around. Spend most my time in the West or the Northwoods.
132 posts, read 180,967 times
The twin cities are a metro area, with large companies, universities, and many different ethnic backgrounds. Anywhere in the metro, I think you would really like it. To compare it to other parts of the country, I think it will feel a bit like the Northeast to you culturally (except that Minnesotans like to be outside a lot more).

Going out into smaller rural towns, you might not feel as embraced.... many of those towns either don't have many IR couples, or the minority populations might tend to be more segregated. But the same can be said for rural areas across the country -- NY, Pennsylvania, Texas, Colorado, California. That is more of a rural America thing than a Minnesota thing.

I think you would love the twin cities.

Old 09-20-2015, 10:46 AM

214 posts, read 300,230 times
IR (wm & bw) married couple here. We live in Brooklyn Park not very far from Minneapolis and have had a great experience here. Our children go to a diverse school with many different IR children. Occasional jerks of all colors but we haven't had any racial outbursts or outright disrespectful behavior like we encountered during a trip through Tennessee and Mississippi.

We also have lived in metro Denver and found that a nice fit as well. We spend some time each year in Atlanta with family but could not see that as a solid fit for our family.

Don't pay attention to that auto tuner as he has been here asking questions like a troll and admittedly hasn't ever been here.

Old 09-20-2015, 11:34 AM

4 posts, read 3,183 times
A lot of mixed race relationships and children here. My boyfriend is Hmong and I am white. Our 3 month old son is both and everyone in our family has accepted everything. My son has children in his daycare that are black/white, hmong/mexican, etc. I've lived here my entire life. There will always be a few people that are the exception but people here are mainly mixed races.

Old 09-20-2015, 08:00 PM

324 posts, read 877,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTune View Post
Afraid of powerful women? Nope, I just resent matriarchal societies.
wait a minute...

Are most interracial couples in Minnesota, matriarchal ?

Do women financially support their men ?

Old 09-20-2015, 10:21 PM

288 posts, read 344,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saza Korse View Post
Matriachal societies have powerful women though, so you seem to be contradicting yourself. If you resent matriarchal societies, then you resent societies with powerful women. I can't think of a rational human being who thinks powerful women is a problematic aspect of society. Weak women isn't conducive to a productive society, DUH.
I'm not sure if you're trolling or if you're just ignorant... I'm sure many patriarchal societies have powerful women as well, so the premise of your argument is unbelievably flawed. Matriarchal** societies and societies who happen to have powerful women aren't always the exact same.

Old 09-21-2015, 09:22 PM

17 posts, read 33,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo_golf_guy View Post
IR (wm & bw) married couple here. We live in Brooklyn Park not very far from Minneapolis and have had a great experience here. Our children go to a diverse school with many different IR children. Occasional jerks of all colors but we haven't had any racial outbursts or outright disrespectful behavior like we encountered during a trip through Tennessee and Mississippi.

We also have lived in metro Denver and found that a nice fit as well. We spend some time each year in Atlanta with family but could not see that as a solid fit for our family.

Don't pay attention to that auto tuner as he has been here asking questions like a troll and admittedly hasn't ever been here.
You're super helpful! We were also considering Denver, but decided to look into Minneapolis instead. Our drive from Virginia to Texas was pretty scary, like I felt like people seriously wanted to physically hurt us just for being together.

And thanks for the tip about the troll.

Old 09-22-2015, 10:17 AM

1,365 posts, read 1,884,529 times
I am absolutely, positively shocked that anyone in this day and age would actually say something negative to you. Like, beyond flabbergasted. So I suppose that speaks well of your chances here?

I am not naïve. I know that bigots exist everywhere, and institutional racism is is an enduring problem even among people who think they are more enlightened than that. I am pretty aware of social justice concerns.

I guess what I am trying to say is that you will be sure to encounter some number of people who secretly have negative reactions to your relationship, but I cannot fathom anyone here actually accosting you about it. It is due to some combination of people (a) not wanting to be seen as sh*tty racists and (b) being relatively non-confrontational in general.

Old 09-22-2015, 12:17 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,747,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaulGal View Post
I am absolutely, positively shocked that anyone in this day and age would actually say something negative to you. Like, beyond flabbergasted. So I suppose that speaks well of your chances here?

I am not naïve. I know that bigots exist everywhere, and institutional racism is is an enduring problem even among people who think they are more enlightened than that. I am pretty aware of social justice concerns.

I guess what I am trying to say is that you will be sure to encounter some number of people who secretly have negative reactions to your relationship, but I cannot fathom anyone here actually accosting you about it. It is due to some combination of people (a) not wanting to be seen as sh*tty racists and (b) being relatively non-confrontational in general.
How do you know the people who said things were White? My wife is from the Caribbean so I guess we fall into the "interracial couple" category (although it's not something we ever think about or define ourselves by). I have never once had an ugly comment towards my wife & I, EXCEPT from Black people. Poor, Black males specifically, seem to feel pretty comfortable saying ugly, racist things if it suits them. Even then it's basically a non factor in our lives.

Old 09-22-2015, 12:21 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,747,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saza Korse View Post
You're super helpful! We were also considering Denver, but decided to look into Minneapolis instead. Our drive from Virginia to Texas was pretty scary, like I felt like people seriously wanted to physically hurt us just for being together.

And thanks for the tip about the troll.
I've driven the SE with my wife & have never had that feeling at all. Could it be that you're so concerned about racism that you find it because you're constantly looking for it? It's just something so insignificant to us that I never even take it into consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul