Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 03:54 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times

Advertisements

I don't see much of a difference between "smallish" and "smaller" cities, yet there is clearly a world of difference between these much smaller cities and the Twin Cities.

Clearly in international context Minneapolis is a smaller city; in context of evaluating American cities as a place to live, it's a bigger but not huge city. Or at least that's my take, as I think, experience-wise, there's more in common between Minneapolis and Chicago (despite the admittedly many differences) than there is between Minneapolis and Duluth. I say that as someone who has lived in both a much smaller city as well as in several of the nation's largest cities, so that's where my biases are coming from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 04:26 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,705,905 times
I hate to let facts obscure the argument here, but Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington is the 16th largest Metropolitan Statistical Area, falling between Seattle and San Diego. Denver, Portland, KC, St. Louis are all in less populous MSAs.

These are facts. "Small," "smallish" and other terms are completely subjective. Better to use numbers when discussing things that actually be quantified.

Old 09-27-2015, 05:35 PM

27 posts, read 23,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
I hate to let facts obscure the argument here, but Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington is the 16th largest Metropolitan Statistical Area, falling between Seattle and San Diego. Denver, Portland, KC, St. Louis are all in less populous MSAs.

These are facts. "Small," "smallish" and other terms are completely subjective. Better to use numbers when discussing things that actually be quantified.
I like the cut of this fella's jib. Right on, Glenfield.

Old 09-27-2015, 07:02 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,049,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montymontage View Post
"After all, if Minneapolis is "smallish," then what does that make them?"--uptown_urbanist

A: by definition, it would make 'them' smaller cities. That is all. Smallish is not a slur. Considering that North America is less urbanized that much of the world, that Minneapolis is far from the urbanized coasts, it should be fairly non-controversial to describe Minneapolis as a small-ish city in the upper midwest.

Again, it's not a slur; in fact, it's the lack of size and population that makes such places attractive to many.

At any rate, I've made--or utterly failed to--make what should be a rather obvious point. If I seemed snarky and that poisoned the well, I do apologize; however, if one wants to sing the praises of a particular place, it's best to stay in key, so-to-speak. In any event, I'm done ruffling feathers on this particular issue, lol.
There are 381 MSAs in The United States (exclusive of Puerto Rico). New York is, of course, the largest. The smallest is Carson City, NV with a population of about 55,000. Of those MSAs, the median population is represented by Champaign-Urbana, IL at about 237,000.

If you want to call Fargo (4 spots below median) or Rochester (14 spots below median) a "small-ish upper Midwestern city", that probably wouldn't be outrageous. You might even be able to stretch the definition to include Sioux Falls (5 spots above median) or Duluth (twenty-five spots above median). Of course, even these four cities are statistically far closer to the median than they are to the cities near the bottom of the MSA list.

To put it another way, if you divided the list of US metro areas into ten equal and progressively larger groups, MSP would be in the top group. In fact, if you divided metro areas into twenty equal groups, MSP would still be in the top group. So, if a city which is in the 96th percentile of US metro area populations is "small-ish", what are the regressive categories you use to represent the 96 percent of US metro areas that are smaller?

My impression of the OP is that they are intelligent enough to understand that Minneapolis is not on the same hierarchical level of US cities as is Chicago, and I know of no one in this forum who has ever suggested the contrary.

I also assume that the OP understands that asking for input from those who live in a given city will yield a fair number of positive comments about that city. The problem is that the tenor or your posts would seem to suggest that you are simply grasping at ways in which you can disparage Minneapolis. Those of us who are addressing your comments, and who appreciate what the city has to offer, aren't so much engaging in boosterism, as we are defending against your grossly inaccurate portrayals of the city.

Again, the OP should certainly visit all of the cities in which they're interested before just moving to one. For my part, I'm quite confident that Minneapolis would make a good impression on the vast majority of people.

Old 09-27-2015, 07:36 PM

119 posts, read 144,866 times
The problem is that the tenor or your posts would seem to suggest that you are simply grasping at ways in which you can disparage Minneapolis. Those of us who are addressing your comments, and who appreciate what the city has to offer, aren't so much engaging in boosterism, as we are defending against your grossly inaccurate portrayals of the city.....For my part, I'm quite confident that Minneapolis would make a good impression on the vast majority of people.--Roged

Had I known that some CD posters had such raving issues of "city envy" I wouldn't have wasted time suggesting it's a smallish city, though it certainly seems that way to me and to many ppl who visit that i speak with. But really, is that ignominious to be the 47th biggest city? How can that possibly bother you?

And I've said a number of pleasant things about Minneapolis; will continue do do so; I, for the most, like it here but I will not pretend it's a liberal metropolis, the final word in the urbane. In any event, I really am done with this thread. It's become obtuse and for reasons that ought to be laughable.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:03 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,705,905 times
Quote:
The problem is that the tenor or your posts would seem to suggest that you are simply grasping at ways in which you can disparage Minneapolis. Those of us who are addressing your comments, and who appreciate what the city has to offer, aren't so much engaging in boosterism, as we are defending against your grossly inaccurate portrayals of the city.....For my part, I'm quite confident that Minneapolis would make a good impression on the vast majority of people.--Roged

Had I known that some CD posters had such raving issues of "city envy" I wouldn't have wasted time suggesting it's a smallish city, though it certainly seems that way to me and to many ppl who visit that i speak with. But really, is that ignominious to be the 47th biggest city? How can that possibly bother you?

And I've said a number of pleasant things about Minneapolis; will continue do do so; I, for the most, like it here but I will not pretend it's a liberal metropolis, the final word in the urbane. In any event, I really am done with this thread. It's become obtuse and for reasons that ought to be laughable.
Translation: I was never that good with numbers so I'm taking my ball and going home. I will be peeking out the window, though, in case you guys make fun of me.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:12 PM

119 posts, read 144,866 times
No, not casting pearls before swine

Old 09-27-2015, 08:16 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,658,251 times
Humm, smallish city? If cities such as Denver, Phoenix, San Diego, Seattle, Cleveland, St. Louis are considered smallish, I suppose.
With that I supposed places like Kansas City, Milwaukee, Charlotte, Austin, Portland and New Orleans would be considered tinny cities. Omaha, Madison, Memphis, mere hamlets.

Last edited by Minnesota Spring; 09-27-2015 at 08:25 PM..

Old 09-27-2015, 09:11 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,093,422 times
Quote:
Yes the Cleveland's comparison wasn't accurate in so far as populations are concerned. My apologies for making an analogy btwn the two places when I meant to be more figurative. That was dumb to do.

Nevertheless, my basic point still stands: Minneapolis barely cracks the top fifty in terms of city population. In and of itself, this hardly matters--though it does make my characterization of Minneapolis as a smallish city in the upper midwest hardly unreasonable.

Clearly Chicago is the region's primary city; arguably the region's only big city.

This is not a bad thing; but could be seen as important for someone considering relocating here--especially in terms of balancing hopes for a new place verses having reasonable expectations. Bluntly put it's one thing moving to a Chicago sized city; quite another moving to a place like Minneapolis.
I mean, Seattle falls a lot closer to the Minneapolis side of things than it does the Chicago side of things, to be quite honest. So your "Move to Seattle because it is a big city and Minneapolis is not" argument is kind of moot.

Old 09-27-2015, 09:15 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,968,796 times
I grew up less than 15 minutes from downtown Cleveland, and at present, I'm in the Twin Cities a lot. Cleveland's definitely more urban and densely populated than Minneapolis -- if we're stepping out of a time machine into 1962.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul