Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 06:48 PM

10 posts, read 11,433 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

So I am considering a move to Minneapolis/St. Paul after looking for an affordable, relatively progressive city. I'm from upstate New York but have lived in San Francisco and Budapest during my college days.

I'm having a bit of trouble narrowing down my apartment/neighborhood search. As per Minneapolis, I was hoping you all could offer thoughts/insight on Uptown, Lyn-Lake, the Wedge, Loring Park, Whittier, and Lowry Hill. I've done some research and determined that I could most likely afford a studio or 1 BR in these neighborhoods (shooting for under $800 a month or so)... but my top priority is being in a (relatively) walkable area with close proximity to bars and restaurants. I would gladly make concessions in my living situation if it means I'm in a (somewhat) bustling area. Being 25, I would also like a decent concentration of 20-30 somethings. When I lived in San Francisco, the most enjoyable part was being able to walk out my door and on to a busy street corner with diverse groups of people walking around. So I would prefer to live in a louder, more heavily trafficked area, rather than live in a quiet neighborhood that's a few blocks from the bars. I've seen that Hennepin is a pretty lively street but it's also a very long street so I'm sure parts of it are less lively than others.

So in addition to any thoughts on the above neighborhoods and how they rank in relation to one another, I also have a few other questions...

1. Where do young people live in St. Paul? It seems information is much more prevalent about Minneapolis when it comes to bars/young people/neighborhood guides, etc.
2. Any specific apartment complexes you would recommend in any neighborhood you think fits my criteria? I've got a bit of a list going and would be curious (and hoping) there are some overlapping names
3. I've seen very few apartments in my budget in the Warehouse District, North Loop, Downtown... am I correct in thinking I can't afford these areas? Any of them be worth pinching pennies for?
4. According to my resources, there are very few bars in/around Steven's Square; is this true? I find it hard to believe.

I know there are a lot of micro topics and questions in this post and I apologize. Generally speaking, I'm a typical younger male. I love sports (perennial Bills fan - so if the Vikings don't make the playoffs, I'll understand) and enjoy socialization, good beer, and good (cheap) food... So I'm sure there's a place for me in your great city... I just can't figure out where!

Let me lastly say that this is my first time posting on City-Data but I've poured through the pages of these forums pretty religiously. I'm very impressed by (and grateful for) the sincere advice that many of you offer here on a consistent basis.

Thank you to anyone who offers their advice or opinion - even if it's just on one element of my post - it's greatly, greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 07:35 PM

628 posts, read 1,437,001 times
Whittier neighborhood west of Nicollet is perfect for you. I'm in my late 20's and live in the East Calhoun neighborhood of Uptown - 31st & Hennepin, and it's not interesting, entertaining or diverse in any way at all.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:42 PM

119 posts, read 144,947 times
1) young ppl in St Paul...Lowertown (in downtown) and maybe Cathedral Hill. Please know that St. Paul is a little more roll up the carpets at 5pm than Minneapolis, and most of Minneapolis shuts down early but for restaurants, night clubs, or big box stores in suburbs. You'll not find anything as bustling as SF here. Downtown, Whitter, Steven Square, and Uptown, to lesser degree (more going on in Uptown but not as much foot traffic as other neighborhoods.) Oh, and I always forget North East--as a younger person you might find that appealing in sense of being able to walk to a bar or two.
3) apartments in downtown--you can find studio apartments in downtown for less than 800 but they will not be particularly large or perhaps even well heated. Look in Elliot Park part of downtown, perhaps. Maybe a little further into North Loop.
4) stevens square and few bars--believe it. There are a couple along Nicollet but often are restaurants with liquor license. There are bars here and there scattered in south Minneapolis but most of the bars/ nightclubs will be downtown.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearedtowardssalad View Post
Whittier neighborhood west of Nicollet is perfect for you. I'm in my late 20's and live in the East Calhoun neighborhood of Uptown - 31st & Hennepin, and it's not interesting, entertaining or diverse in any way at all.
Thanks for the input... see this is what is troubling me in my search... after popping your cross streets into padmapper, it's showing me about 9 bars and a dozen restaurants along Hennepin between 31st and West Lake so I would've been inclined to think there might be something going on there....

Thanks again for the clarification though.

Old 10-09-2015, 08:11 PM

Thanks Monty... I really enjoy being outside and people-watching... Busy streets are good, even if I personally can't afford all the boutiques, cafes, and hip food joints. I'm not much of a clubber and definitely no more 4am nights for me and I'd rather be at a little more upscale microbrewery than a place with $2 well drinks... I'll look further into North Loop and Downtown.

Old 10-09-2015, 11:25 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,734,165 times
Look into Whittier. We lived in San Francisco, too, and Whittier reminds me more of that than any other area of the twin cities. (It's not an exact comparison, of course). the wedge or lyn-lake would work well, too.

I live in Uptown and I don't understand the comment about less foot traffic here than other neighborhoods; I don't find that to the case at all. Probably depends on the specific location, I guess.

If going with Uptown, I would stay north of 32nd street and stay between Hennepin and Lyndale for maximum walkability and activity. I like being able to walk to both everything in Lyn-Lake as well as in the core of Uptown (Lake and Hennepin), plus multiple grocery store options, lots of bus lines, etc.

Uptown by Lake and Hennepin is kind of like the Marina district, Whittier along Nicollet is kind of like the Inner Sunset, not sure how to compare Lyn-Lake; it honestly reminds me more of Hollywood minus the tourists (yes, I know that's not SF). kind of a weird blend of restaurants both old and new, sex stores, and both new and trendy and old-school sort of seedy.

There are some apartments right on Nicollet or right off it around 25th st. or so; that could fit you well. not sure what they're like, but the street is busy, diverse, with lots of bars and restaurants as well as 20-somethings.

Old 10-10-2015, 07:33 AM

@UptownUrbanist

Thank you very much, that's an extremely helpful post and helpful comparisons... I was a bit nervous even mentioning SF because I know there aren't many comparable places but I appreciate you contextualizing your response with some neighborhoods I'm familiar with... I will focus heavily on the aforementioned areas.

Old 10-10-2015, 01:17 PM

628 posts, read 1,437,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate91 View Post
Thanks for the input... see this is what is troubling me in my search... after popping your cross streets into padmapper, it's showing me about 9 bars and a dozen restaurants along Hennepin between 31st and West Lake so I would've been inclined to think there might be something going on there....

Thanks again for the clarification though.

Assuming that's sarcasm. Sorry, I'm currently a bit frustrated with the area - I should be more objective when trying to help someone and not push my own opinions. In all honesty this is a great neighborhood. It's very safe, but a tad pricier. Close proximity to the beach and Uptown has almost all of the amenities you could ask for. Plus the 6 bus line goes right down Hennepin to downtown and the opposite direction to Edina/Bloomington. You can PM me if you have any questions.

PS - I've also lived in San Francisco and Whittier is still the closest match imo.

Old 10-10-2015, 01:26 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,095,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate91 View Post
Hello all,

So I am considering a move to Minneapolis/St. Paul after looking for an affordable, relatively progressive city. I'm from upstate New York but have lived in San Francisco and Budapest during my college days.

I'm having a bit of trouble narrowing down my apartment/neighborhood search. As per Minneapolis, I was hoping you all could offer thoughts/insight on Uptown, Lyn-Lake, the Wedge, Loring Park, Whittier, and Lowry Hill. I've done some research and determined that I could most likely afford a studio or 1 BR in these neighborhoods (shooting for under $800 a month or so)... but my top priority is being in a (relatively) walkable area with close proximity to bars and restaurants. I would gladly make concessions in my living situation if it means I'm in a (somewhat) bustling area. Being 25, I would also like a decent concentration of 20-30 somethings. When I lived in San Francisco, the most enjoyable part was being able to walk out my door and on to a busy street corner with diverse groups of people walking around. So I would prefer to live in a louder, more heavily trafficked area, rather than live in a quiet neighborhood that's a few blocks from the bars. I've seen that Hennepin is a pretty lively street but it's also a very long street so I'm sure parts of it are less lively than others.
The closer to Lake, the livelier. Ditto Nicollet. Nicollet is less of a bar street, but is crowded with restaurants and coffee shops from about 23rd to the K-Mart at 29th. Dies down a bit north of 23rd, however.

Lyndale is pretty busy, too. I actually think I like the Lyn-Lake intersection better for amenities than I do Hen-Lake. The Wedge is literally between Hennepin and Lyndale, from Lake to the 94 interchange. Hennepin and Lyndale are all of six blocks apart, with Hennepin going at a rather dramatic angle northeast towards downtown. So....

...if you lived in the exact epicenter of the Wedge, you would be about 3 blocks from Lyndale, 3 blocks from Hennepin, and maybe 4 blocks from Lake. Also, near the Greenway for biking.

Pretty walkable. You could try to get an apartment right on Lake Street as well, but at -$800 a month, your options would be limited.

Whittier is just east of the Wedge, between Lyndale and Nicollet.

Are you dead-set on South Minneapolis, or would you consider parts of Northeast Minneapolis or Southeast Minneapolis? Hennepin, Central, and First could be good streets to look around in Nordeast. Or, there are a few clusters of bars around University.

University and Washington in Southeast, as well as University and 4th just past Stadium Village (Dinkytown) are lively as well, but cater mostly to college students.

There is also the North Loop, but that is likely out of your range.

Quote:
So in addition to any thoughts on the above neighborhoods and how they rank in relation to one another, I also have a few other questions...

1. Where do young people live in St. Paul? It seems information is much more prevalent about Minneapolis when it comes to bars/young people/neighborhood guides, etc. Most younger people choose to live in Minneapolis. Your options in St. Paul would be Grand Avenue, or Lowertown (if you can afford it)
2. Any specific apartment complexes you would recommend in any neighborhood you think fits my criteria? I've got a bit of a list going and would be curious (and hoping) there are some overlapping names Well, there has been new construction in most of your targeted neighborhoods for the past 3-5 years. Lots and lots of infill. You may find that there are more options for sharing a Duplex or Fourplex than for getting into a complex, however. If you are willing to live further out and bike down to the bars/restaurants, there are still some relatively cheap complexes on the southwest side of Lake Harriet
3. I've seen very few apartments in my budget in the Warehouse District, North Loop, Downtown... am I correct in thinking I can't afford these areas? Any of them be worth pinching pennies for? Yes, see above. Although, rents in Loring Park may still be within your range, and that is really not too far from the Warehouse District. I wouldn't want to live in the Warehouse district, anyway. Police sirens, loud drunks, and the sound of drunk bros retching in alleys every Friday and Saturday night for seven months? No thanks...
4. According to my resources, there are very few bars in/around Steven's Square; is this true? I find it hard to believe. That is absolutely true. Stevens is 100% residential. Large, turn-of-the-century red and brown brick six flats and I-shaped apartments. I call them "Chicago School," but I am not sure that I am using the term right. Stevens has historically been a pretty economically depressed area with a reputation for slumlords. It is better now, but I would still be careful renting there. The only reason I would even consider Stevens is for the MIA. If you are amicable to it, though, you may want to consider Cedar-Riverside. That would be well within your range, and there are a few cool bars there (Triple Rock, Nomad, Town Hall, Palmers, Bullwinkles, etc.)
Quote:
I know there are a lot of micro topics and questions in this post and I apologize. Generally speaking, I'm a typical younger male. I love sports (perennial Bills fan - so if the Vikings don't make the playoffs, I'll understand) and enjoy socialization, good beer, and good (cheap) food... So I'm sure there's a place for me in your great city... I just can't figure out where!

Let me lastly say that this is my first time posting on City-Data but I've poured through the pages of these forums pretty religiously. I'm very impressed by (and grateful for) the sincere advice that many of you offer here on a consistent basis.

Thank you to anyone who offers their advice or opinion - even if it's just on one element of my post - it's greatly, greatly appreciated!
I am going to go ahead and highly encourage you to start looking Nordeast, then, given that information. Even if you do not settle on it, it is good to know you're options. It will be generally cheaper, has most of the city's craft brew and distillery scene, lots of small artists lofts and galleries, and Central is an emerging restaurant street with options ranging from Vietnamese to Mexican to Ethiopian and Middle Eastern.

It will be much quieter than Uptown/Lyn-Lake, but still provides a lot.

You are welcome to the advice. Let us know if you have any more questions

Old 10-22-2015, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearedtowardssalad View Post
Assuming that's sarcasm. Sorry, I'm currently a bit frustrated with the area - I should be more objective when trying to help someone and not push my own opinions. In all honesty this is a great neighborhood. It's very safe, but a tad pricier. Close proximity to the beach and Uptown has almost all of the amenities you could ask for. Plus the 6 bus line goes right down Hennepin to downtown and the opposite direction to Edina/Bloomington. You can PM me if you have any questions.

PS - I've also lived in San Francisco and Whittier is still the closest match imo.

Haha no unfortunately I wasn't being sarcastic, but I always will value a human (resident's) opinion over a site cross-referencing apartments with yelp bar listings. You're opinion is what I'm seeking so I'm glad you offered it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul