Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 08:38 PM

1,935 posts, read 5,827,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwar View Post
Ya buddy. You go girl. For 400.00 you can go to a drivers training school for 2 hours to get your class A, then go take your test and its a guarantee you will pass your test because the DMV works with these schools. So with with money you can buy your license. But you think the DMV doesn't favor anyone huh? EW
What the h*** are you talking about? You can take the written test after a lot of study to get a class A permit and then the various endorsements (you realize a Class A permits you to drive tractor-trailers/ semis, right?) and then try and pass the driving test afterwards.

I thought I'd heard it all, but then you pulled out the vast immigrant/ DMV/ driving schools conspiracy to put unqualified/ unsafe limited English drivers out on the road. Can I get some of what you're smoking, it sounds like a trip...

By the way, I sincerely apologize to the original poster for how WAY far off topic and stupid this thread has become - I hope we haven't negatively influenced your decision to move to Mpls/ Minnesota!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 09:37 PM

Location: Lakeville, MN - 4th nicest place in the nation to raise a family
285 posts, read 1,178,100 times
I disagree - I'm not really sure anyone cares. I live in Lakeville - a town generally regarded as conservative, religious (???), and caucasian. There are several multi-racial families in our neighborhood and I don't see anyone really giving a hoot.

I think the stories of modern-day racial prejudice in the metro are mostly just that - stories. Sensationalism seems to rule the day sometimes, though... I suppose it makes for good headlines.

Robert

Old 02-05-2008, 10:35 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,422,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert P Stewart View Post
I disagree - I'm not really sure anyone cares. I live in Lakeville - a town generally regarded as conservative, religious (???), and caucasian. There are several multi-racial families in our neighborhood and I don't see anyone really giving a hoot.

I think the stories of modern-day racial prejudice in the metro are mostly just that - stories. Sensationalism seems to rule the day sometimes, though... I suppose it makes for good headlines.

Robert

With all do respect, you'd be wrong. But all of this non-sense if far off topic & staying on topic, not hijacking a post is in the rules of this forum - so let's get to it:

Personally, I'd look at the Seward neighborhood & most areas uptown or SW Mpls. Good schools & generally speaking, open-minded folks of whatever ethnic background. Even in the areas of these neighborhoods that are more "white" than not, they are very very family, culturally, & civic minded. Just the sorts of folks a diverse family would want to raise a family around.

I live (only for one year & then I am outta here 1 May 2008) in Crystal & can say with certainty that I would not recommend it, New Hope, Brooklyn Park (or Center), & wouldn't consider for one minute moment living in Champlin or Maple Grove - they may be nice (although not in my very limited experience - but I'm teasing now) but diversity is not their strength.

In all I have said, of course I am generalizing... that's my 25 cents on the matter...

Old 02-06-2008, 05:29 AM

120 posts, read 127,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmiller285 View Post
We are a middle-class, transracial family in the market for a house and neighborhood in the Twin Cities/metro area. We're looking for a neighborhood with good black/white diversity that is family-friendly. Ideas? Thanks!
Most of the places i have been, nobody even cares. Could care less about you or your other issues.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:38 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,271,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmover99 View Post
Most of the places i have been, nobody even cares. Could care less about you or your other issues.
I agree. No one around here would care in the slightest. Our neighborhood is averagely diverse for the suburbs and no one really cares one way or another. Now, if you didn't cut your grass for weeks on end you would hear about that.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:37 PM

6 posts, read 19,338 times
I think southwest Minneapolis is very kid friendly and I wouldn't worry about being a multi-racial family. Almost all of the public schools (except Lake Harriet) have at least 20% non-white kids and you can get the school's adequate yearly progress report to see if there's any racial gap in achievement. I know that at most of the schools we've been looking at the non-White kids are doing as well as the White kids. Whittier is very diverse. I live near it and I like it a lot but it's not family friendly. There's a lot of crime near lake street.

Just to add my two-cents and a probable "troll" topic: I think most Whites in the city are actually more classist than racist. You'll get a lot of nosey questions about your "adopted" kids but I agree with the person who said not mowing your lawn would be a bigger problem than being a different race/culture.

Old 02-07-2008, 01:48 PM

25 posts, read 87,229 times
Default "transracial" friendly neighborhoods

I'm assuming transracial is similar to multiracial when i say that i live in south minneapolis, bancroft neighborhood and find it to be racially diverse and stable with that diversity. i'm white with two bi racial (african and white) kids, will one is 22 so a kid not so much, and an eight year old.

my block literally goes black, white, mixed all the way down our side of the street. the past year several latino families have moved in on my block and in surrounding blocks. its a wonderful place for a racially diverse family.

as to whites being racist. thats impossible if you follow the true definition of racism: prejudice plus power. POC in this nation have little to no collective power and so cannot be racist. Prejudice? yes, racist no. Biased, yes, racist no.

And to be real and factual. its still easier and happens more frequently (the council on crime and justice has good stats on this) for a white felon to get hired then a black college graduate with no criminal history.

The Camden area and far north minneapolis bordering on robbinsdale along the parkway is a gorgeous neighborhood with alot of character both in the physical housing stock and in the people.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:55 AM

1,935 posts, read 5,827,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regionalperspective View Post
And to be real and factual. its still easier and happens more frequently (the council on crime and justice has good stats on this) for a white felon to get hired then a black college graduate with no criminal history.
Devah Pager, a Princeton Sociology professor, used an 'experimental audit' approach to test this (although i'm not sure about the college education); the study found that white ex-offenders were more likely to get a job than a black person with no criminal record. The Mark of a Criminal Record (http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:YKrJ0nP7D0kJ:www.northwestern.edu/ipr/publications/papers/2003/pagerajs.pdf+Devah+Pager&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=5&gl=us - broken link)
Having experience working in both re-entry and HR consulting/recruiting, I can attest that there are some big racial disparities in many area employers' hiring practices and criminal background definitely makes a huge impact - an increasingly alarming amount of collateral sanctions impact all ex-offenders, which combined have the effect of creating a de jure/ de-facto second-class citizenship in America. There is actually going to be a big rally this week on this very topic at the Capitol - on Wednesday, February 13th, at 11:00am - nonprofit/ government leaders, elected officials, citizens, and ex-offenders are gathering for the "Second Chance Day on the Hill" (Capitol Rotunda) , for more information, go to Employ Ex-Offenders - Reducing Barriers to Employment by Reducing Stigma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by regionalperspective View Post
The Camden area and far north minneapolis bordering on robbinsdale along the parkway is a gorgeous neighborhood with alot of character both in the physical housing stock and in the people.
I agree wholeheartedly- that's my neighbohood! //www.city-data.com/forum/minne...-day-life.html.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul