Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2015, 07:54 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,701,850 times

Advertisements

Can anyone provide any information on how much more their energy costs increased/decreased moving from an old home to a new (or vice-versa).

Let's assume we are comparing similar sized homes, one built in the last 10 years, verses one built pre-1950.

Are energy costs for older homes 10% more? 30%?

Thanks for any insight into the matter!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 08:15 AM

442 posts, read 593,722 times
There are "good" old homes and "bad" old homes when it comes to energy efficiency. I had a "bad" old home once where my gas bill for one particularly cold month was $425. This was for a 1,700 square foot house in southern Minnesota. Compare that to my 20-year-old house in the Cities now, which is 3,600 square feet and my heating bills are never more than about $150, even in the coldest months.

With "good" old homes, the attic insulation will have been upgraded, the windows will have been updated and the difference between older homes and newer homes in terms of efficiency will be smaller (though newer homes will almost always be more efficient). It really varies house-to-house and there are definitely trade-offs in character, original build quality, etc.

Old 11-04-2015, 11:52 AM

906 posts, read 1,767,093 times
An original 1940s or 1950s home will be fairly expensive to heat during winter as insulation standards and window efficiency has greatly improved.

Newer homes are definitely more energy efficient, but they are building them so "tight" that you may have the opposite problem--a new home that doesn't "breath" requiring expensive ERV systems.

If you buy an older home that has been renovated, make sure the insulation and windows have been replaced. You should aim for R50 in the attic (assuming its not a 1.5 story home where there is no "attic") either with blown cellulose insulation or spray foam. Older homes are prone to attic bypasses that can greatly increase the risk for heat loss in winter and ice dams. Any insulation updates should include searching and sealing all possible bypasses.

I personally prefer older homes for their charm.

Old 11-04-2015, 06:32 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
I assume it depends so much on other factors besides age to make it impossible to accurately compare (assuming you are looking for rules of thumb for setting your house budget?). Our 100+ year old house has had a lot of energy efficiency upgrades, including my favorite - radiant floor heating (at least on the first floor)!

Old 11-05-2015, 08:49 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,701,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus1ander View Post
An original 1940s or 1950s home will be fairly expensive to heat during winter as insulation standards and window efficiency has greatly improved.

Newer homes are definitely more energy efficient, but they are building them so "tight" that you may have the opposite problem--a new home that doesn't "breath" requiring expensive ERV systems.

If you buy an older home that has been renovated, make sure the insulation and windows have been replaced. You should aim for R50 in the attic (assuming its not a 1.5 story home where there is no "attic") either with blown cellulose insulation or spray foam. Older homes are prone to attic bypasses that can greatly increase the risk for heat loss in winter and ice dams. Any insulation updates should include searching and sealing all possible bypasses.

I personally prefer older homes for their charm.
I appreciate your wisdom. We were looking at a late 40's house that has the original single pane windows, and I don't recall seeing insulation when I peeked in the attic. Our current home was completely flipped in 2011 (new windows, roof, etc.) so we could be going from predictable to unpredictable. Being that the home and taxes themselves cost more (plus its and exta 400 sqft), I'm trying to cover all my expense bases
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul