Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 11:01 AM

101 posts, read 142,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_2 View Post
What is it that you liked about the downtown area of Edina?

If it's upscale shops and eateries in a walkable area, you can get that in downtown Excelsior and also at the West End in St Louis Park. I don't know the house prices there though.
I like Edina because I grew up in a Milwaukee Suburb called Whitefish Bay. There is a downtown there that is similar to the 50th and France area of Edina.
Considering now, I am sure I can live in another suburb close by and still be able to walk or bike to that area. St. Louis Park seems to be the best option. I will see into the west end of St Louis Park like you mentioned also.
Thanks for the advice. And to everyone here too.

I am more looking for housing styles like these. Does St. Louis Park have houses like these.

Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

http://i63.tinypic.com/125p2zn.jpg

Last edited by Stanton1433; 11-18-2015 at 11:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2015, 11:36 AM

878 posts, read 1,207,549 times
The housing stock in SLP is mostly a hybrid of those two styles-- more so like the bottom photo but with siding instead of brick; but there's a good bit of variety, including newer homes and even a few McMansions.

Here are the recent MLS listings in SLP: Saint Louis Park, MN Real Estate & Homes for Sale | Trulia

Old 11-18-2015, 12:21 PM

219 posts, read 313,484 times
There is no way you are going to find what you want within walking distance of 50th & France with your budget. Anything in that price range even in the closer areas of St. Louis Park (Browndale and Minikahda golf course area) is probably going to be tiny, ugly, a teardown candidate, or some combination of those three and would be stretching the definition of "walkable" even in the months of the year where that is a reasonable proposition.

You might want to check out the Shops at West End as it's a sort of similarish area with restaurants, shopping, etc. (though much newer) and homes within walking/biking distance that would give you far more options in your price range.

Last edited by Tipsy McStagger; 11-18-2015 at 12:32 PM..

Old 11-29-2015, 02:38 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,276,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanton1433 View Post
My wife and I are established in our jobs. We are both 30 and 32 respectively and looking to move into our first house. We were wondering if we could find a nice small house in those areas. We visited the area by chance not knowing anything about it just enjoying the scenery and eating at a local restaurant. We fell in love with the downtown area of Edina. My wife makes $35,000 and I make close to $50,000. We don't have any children and do not plan to have any. Can we afford a house in those areas.
There are other factors to consider. The first factor is where you work, and commuting. Of course, over the years, your job locations could change. You also need to consider your long range financial planning. Are you both maxing your retirement account contributions? Successful long term financial planning usually includes living below your means. Normally, a 15 year mortgage should be your goal, not a 30 year mortgage. One way to succeed in life is to stop acting rich.

It's not just doctors, lawyers, and executives that make six figure incomes. Many technical fields in the sciences can also make six figure incomes. For example, IT workers can easily rise to six figure incomes. While you are still young, in your 30's, you might also think of how you can increase your incomes.

Old 12-22-2015, 01:31 AM

1,935 posts, read 5,832,223 times
To the OP- if you want a close-in suburb with a charming downtown and homes with character- that are in your price range- I would HIGHLY recommend you check out Robbinsdale. Downtown is becoming quite the little foodie scene and will be a stop on the Bottineau LRT when it is finished. Great parks and a few lakes as well. Good luck with your search-

Edited to add: You can also find the exact style of homes you posted, literally all of them, on Victory Memorial Drive (both Robbinsdale and Minneapolis side of it, which is the n'hood I live)- check it out.

Old 12-31-2015, 08:19 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,446,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanton1433 View Post
I like Edina because I grew up in a Milwaukee Suburb called Whitefish Bay. There is a downtown there that is similar to the 50th and France area of Edina.
Considering now, I am sure I can live in another suburb close by and still be able to walk or bike to that area. St. Louis Park seems to be the best option. I will see into the west end of St Louis Park like you mentioned also.
The West End is more like Bayshore than it is like WFB. You won't find the older homes you see in WFB in any of the Twin Cities Suburbs because the Twin Cities suburbs are much younger than MKE suburbs. If you're looking for something like WFB your options are limited. You would have to live in either Edina, St. Paul, Minneapolis (Particularly SW Minneapolis), Downtown Excelsior, or Stillwater. You might also check out the Minikahda Vista neighborhood in St. Louis Park, though that is also pretty expensive. If you are OK living a little further out you could try Downtown White Bear Lake.

EDIT - Some of the homes in Shorewood/WFB are absolutely beautiful. Too bad they are so expensive.

Old 01-02-2016, 01:19 PM

5 posts, read 4,862 times
St Louis Park could be a good option for you. Close to the lakes, shopping at 50th & Grand and West End. More affordable than Edina.

Old 01-02-2016, 09:32 PM

30 posts, read 27,438 times
Edina might be your best best of the three locations you mentioned. However, you would likely be looking at condo's in that price range.

If you don't mind a little further drive, I suggest looking at Long Lake or even Mound area. There are x10 properties for sale in Mound right now in your price range and Wayzata is less than 10 minutes down CR 15 which skirts Lake Minnetonka.

Old 01-04-2016, 03:04 PM

114 posts, read 74,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvold View Post
I have lived in or worked at a number of places in the western suburbs. Everything from Minnetonka, to Shakopee to Buffalo, Delano, Rockford etc. I moved to Wayzata a year ago and have found that it has the rudest people of anywhere I have ever been! I can't wait to get out of that place.
We are super friendly up in the Anoka area... just so you know.

Old 01-07-2016, 11:49 PM

89 posts, read 119,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt Blyleven View Post
Hopkins is ok, but it reminds me of Moorhead, Minnesota. It doesn't really seem like a suburb of a Minneapolis. More like a weird small town that just happens to be closer to Minneapolis than the other weird small towns in the state. Maybe that is what the OP is looking for.
LOL. I guess its weird that drivers don't stop for pedestrians at crossings!!! I hate that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul