Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2008, 09:24 AM

3 posts, read 10,242 times

Advertisements

I am currently pregnant but moving to Minneapolis and would like to get a job once I arrive. I'm concerned companies in Minneapolis won't be interested in hiring someone who will be needing maternity leave. I am eager to work though.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 01:33 PM

701 posts, read 1,707,907 times
I don't think Minneapolis is any different than any other city in terms of hiring pregnant women. You'll definitely need to stand out to show a potential employer that you are worth the risk (of taking time off; not returning after birth, etc.).

Good luck with your search.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:01 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,278,608 times
I would consider doing temp work until after the baby was born. I don't know that it is strictly 'legal' not to hire you because you are pregnant but I am sure that would factor into the decision making process and not in your favor.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:13 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,213,292 times
you status as being pregnant legally cannot factor into any employment decision or be brought up during interviewing - legally there should be no recourse

however, if it's obvious it will play into mind as a part of human nature

if you have medical coverage through your partner or someone else then the temping idea really isn't that bad

if not - shine

Old 02-22-2008, 11:14 AM

284 posts, read 1,656,848 times
As has been mentioned, it is a violation of the law not to hire a woman because she is pregnant.

HOWEVER, the employer will not have to provide any paid maternity leave (if the company even has a maternity leave policy separate from FMLA - many do not) nor will they have to provide you with unpaid under FMLA since you won't have worked there for a year.

What this basically means is that an employer who hires you will not be obligated to give you any time off above and beyond sick leave or vacation time you have accrued by the time your baby arrives.

So you could end up with a week or two off after the baby or be *forced* to quit because you'd be taking time off that you didn't really have.

This is a serious issue in our workplaces today, but this isn't really the forum for my rant on that topic...

The temping suggestion made by others is a good one, although there is nothing wrong with applying for permanent jobs that are compatible with your experience. It will be a good way to make contacts and may open the door for a permanent job in the future.

Good luck!

Old 02-22-2008, 12:00 PM

3 posts, read 10,242 times
Thank you all for your input. I like the idea of temping. It at least gets me out of the house and meeting new people. Thank you too for letting me know I would not be eligible for maternity leave. I was not aware of this.

My first choice would be to get a permanent job...anybody know of any flexible marketing firms or jobs willing to take a chance on a highly motivated, experience marketing individual?

Old 02-22-2008, 12:25 PM

284 posts, read 1,656,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydaytoday View Post
My first choice would be to get a permanent job...anybody know of any flexible marketing firms or jobs willing to take a chance on a highly motivated, experience marketing individual?
Ahh...I'm in marketing too! You might look into the marketing departments of some of the large employers - General Mills, Target, Best Buy - not only for the size of their marketing departments but for what I understand are rather family-friendly workplaces (although I've never worked for any of them so can't speak from experience).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
View detailed profiles of: