Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 08:54 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,659,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I'm surprised at all the hate and disrespect for Houston. Houston is beautiful city, exciting and vibrant. Lots of good energy and lots of good things happening in Houston. Houston is still a young town and an innovational town and it keeps getting better. When I think of Houston, I think of the future and the greatness of America and it's unlimited possibilities.

You'd rather live in the Congo than Houston? I don't know you from Adam, but assuming you are a native of the United States, I seriously doubt that you sincerely believe that. Do you honestly believe Houston is that bad? Have you even been to Houston?

After about a month in the Congo, I'd wager my next paycheck you'd be begging to get you the heck out of the Congo and take you to Houston, if they must.

Yes, been to Houston many times. Had family that lived there. They eventually came to their senses and moved to Dallas. I'm glad you like Houston so much, you can have it. As for me, no way in heck would I even consider living there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2016, 12:01 PM

4,503 posts, read 4,612,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Spring View Post
Yes, been to Houston many times. Had family that lived there. They eventually came to their senses and moved to Dallas. I'm glad you like Houston so much, you can have it. As for me, no way in heck would I even consider living there.
I don't live in Houston. I live in Austin. I lived in Houston in the 1970's. Dallas ain't so bad. Ive always liked Dallas. I don't have anything bad to say about Dallas. The main difference I see between Houston and Dallas, is the distance to the Gulf Coast. That's why I would choose Houston over Dallas. Otherwise, side by side, they are very much alike. Maybe even closer to being Twin Cities than Minneapolis and St Paul.

Houston has alot going for it. It has the largest medical complex in the United States, if not the world. The skyline of the medical center can rival the skylines of many large American cities. Houston also has a very nice museum district that could possibly rival Chicago. You have to remember, too, that Chicago has been a huge city a lot longer than Houston has. So, it's only natural it won't have all the renaissance-looking archetecture found in older American cities. Ascetically, the way Houston looks at ground level, Houston is by far a nicer looking town than Chicago. And it looks safer than Chicago. Houston has no where near the blight of Chicago, or any of the large Midwest and Northeastern cities, for that matter.

Other than the heat and humidity, I honestly don't understand why anybody who likes big cities would not like Houston.

Old 01-31-2016, 08:23 PM

752 posts, read 566,587 times
Quote:
"I wanna be sure i am understanding you correctly. Do you mean to say you would judge a metro area based on the airport?

[...]

I think a traveler changing planes at an airport in a strange city may very well be qualified to make a fair and accurate judgement about the airport based on his experience at the airport, but judging a city based solely on the airport isn't a fair or accurate judgement to be making.

I've never heard of anybody doing that until you."
Then you've never heard of anyone doing that. Did I ever claim that my judgement was particularly informed or comprehensive? No. An airport is just one facet among many. But it is important, and it can be indicative. Like, if everything else is so nice in Dallas, why is the airport ****? Typically, it doesn't work that way. Another snap-judgement: DFW was/is home to a remarkable number of moribund/bankrupt enterprises (Blockbuster, RadioShack, American Airlines, Tenet Healthcare, Dean Foods, J.C. Penney, etc., etc., etc.). Yet the area itself seems to be growing nicely. So my impression is that DFW competes on cost, not quality. Hence a big, ****ty airport.

Old 01-31-2016, 11:09 PM

27 posts, read 30,569 times
DFW is in the middle of a 2.3 billion dollar remodel

Old 02-01-2016, 10:48 AM

27 posts, read 30,569 times
Quote:

Other than the heat and humidity, I honestly don't understand why anybody who likes big cities would not like Houston.
The city itself is kind of meh. It's got good bones but should have more going on in the urban core. When people talk about how much they love Houston, they are really talking about how much they love the Woodlands or Sugarland or whatever suburban part of Houston they actually live in.

This isn't unique to Houston, most American cities (including Minneapolis) face the same issue.

Old 02-02-2016, 10:39 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalgurl-stuck in-Mnpls View Post
Seriously!?!! You're going to post 1980's video to make a point?!!? I rather be a "valley girl" any day then a hick-town hillbilly from cornfield FROZEN tundra (Read-Minnesota!) like yourself!!
Yes, because Billings and Boise are just so desirable..

Old 02-02-2016, 03:55 PM

38 posts, read 50,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hate Minnesota View Post
C'mon down! Making the move from Minneapolis was the best thing I've done careerwise, family-wise, and healthwise. My son is involved with NASA's Little Astronaut program and has been exposed to far more diversity than anything Minnesota could offer. My daughter has a ton of opportunities as well. The extracurricular activities are endless. Culturally, Houston is the best city of the three big Texas cities, as it is within a reasonable driving distance of Austin, San Antonio, and Dallas/Ft. Worth. Houston is definitely the most Cosmopolitan city of them all. It's larger than NYC, but as diverse as San Francisco. Always something to do, eat, see, or experience. Dallas is a lot like Minneapolis and is stereotypical Texas, Austin is weird for all of the right reasons (SXSW) and is a huge 20-something hotspot, and San Antonio is a sh-thole with charm. I own an IT consulting business and routinely drive or fly (very cheaply) to all three of these regions. I'm amazed at the diversity, volume and quality of opportunities that reside in this great state and I wouldn't change a damn thing.

Weather is nice (68 degrees and sunny right now...and has been for the past few weeks), but sweat and heat are a real thing here in the summertime. So, wherever you go...make sure you have access to a nice pool.
That's good to know. I don't have children so I'm just looking for a place to work and meet someone. I moved to Tampa from Minneapolis and the former is a hell hole. I'm thinking of trying another southern city before I throw in the towel and go back to a place that marries culture AND convenience, albeit at 13 below. I've lived abroad for 5 years in my formative years so to me the whole U.S. seems the same old ****. MPLS may not have NASA but it has most of the cultural accountrements for kids that any big city has (Mandarin lessons, Kumon, tennis lessons, cello) etc. MPLS is a really educated, really wealthy per capita, really yuppie town! As far as diversity goes, I don't know why Americans place such an obsessive value on that, especially when it comes to melanin levels in one skin or who they choose to sleep with. Plus if that's your thing the gays beat a loud drum in the MSP and now there's the Somalis, Hmong, etc. in large numbers.

As far as Tampa goes, well come experience it for yourself. Tampa is actually not safe for a woman living alone. Clearwater and St. Petersburg are where people go to avoid the ghetto, but the problem is those two cities are SUPER old, which makes the whole TAmpa Bay area a really sad, ghetto-nursing home dichotomy in which a normal, decent young professional has little room to fit.

For me it all comes down to the cold and the darkness. Is a person willing to put up with it or not? That and the urban sprawl. The Twin Cities are SO compact and efficient. Tampa and it sounds like Houston, too, are a nightmare in that regard.

A couple of questions:

1.) How bad is the traffic?
2.) What is "the loop" and how much does it cost to live inside it?
3.) Is the city "sprawled" out like Tampa, (and I think Phoenix?). Tampa is AWFUL in this regard. AWFUL. I fear Houston may be the same. Takes forever to do one or two errands and go to any activities.

Old 02-02-2016, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTnVtMn View Post
I grew up in Houston, lived there through age 18 and then off-and-on until 24. Also did a lot of business travel in the area while living elsewhere. I have now lived in Minnesota for almost 3 years (my wife grew up here, so here I am...the usual pattern, more or less).

So much depends on the area of town that you move to and how you want to live. The limitations imposed by traffic are real, and much greater than in the Twin Cities. The geographic size of the area is immense. Imagine traveling from Northfield to Forest Lake and it is all fully developed. You cannot just zip across town...even on weekends this is challenging.

I do like the city a lot. The inner loop area (inside the 610 loop) is one of the nicest urban areas anywhere, in my opinion. On the other hand, Minneapolis offers something hard to beat with the chain of lakes.

A big difference I have noticed between the Twin Cities and Houston is affordability and condition of the close-in areas (within 10 miles of downtown). In Houston, to be within 10 miles of downtown is to be in either a very sketchy area, or in an unaffordable area (by middle class standards). There are no St. Louis Park or Robbinsdales where you can get a home with a yard for under $300,000 and be in a generally safe and pleasant area. You have to live further out, which locks you into combating the traffic or just being cut off from the cultural amenities and interesting areas of town.

There is much greater disparity in school quality within the Houston area, and without an open enrollment system (which could never fly in TX because it would be abused to the max for HS football purposes) you are locked into the school serving your area. There are lots of truly great schools in greater Houston, but it is very pricey to "buy in" to the better school zones or districts. So many schools are so new that their reputations and long-term prospects are impossible to know.

You are quite right to have your eye on the great cultural amenities of Houston, though the Twin Cities are no slouch in this area. It is a draw, in my opinion. Houston has superior shopping, dining (in terms of variety, at least), great sports stadia (MSP has caught up, though), and a world-class medical center.

Personally, I had the opportunity to move to either Houston or Minneapolis/St. Paul. While Houston is home, I came to the conclusion that the Twin Cities lifestyle was better for the way I wanted to live. It is a more sane place to raise a family than Houston is these days. If I was a young single with money and no kids, I would probably choose Houston.
Thanks. Your comment is very insightful and astute. One of the most helpful so far. A few more questions:

2.) What is "the loop" and how much does it cost to live inside it?
3.) Is the city "sprawled" out like Tampa, (and I think Phoenix?). Tampa is AWFUL in this regard. AWFUL. I fear Houston may be the same. Takes forever to do one or two errands and go to any activities.

I loved your point about there being no "St. Louis Park." I love St. Louis Park. It's where I plan to live if I move back (from Tampa) instead of giving Houston a shot.

Old 02-02-2016, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campeador View Post
This is a really well informed and measured post.

I grew up in the Twin Cities and have lived in TX for the past 13 years (after spending some years living abroad). I loved Austin and have come to really like Fort Worth. I don't know Houston as well, but I did look into it as a possible place to move to and I found that where I was hoping to live (within the loop) was VERY pricey. Something I've always liked about Houston is the really strong International presence.

I think the weather is less than ideal in both the TC and H-town, with the latter's heat and humidity combo as a real turn off for me. Also, if you're into outdoor recreation, TX, apart from out west (Big Bend) and a few corners of the hill country, is pretty unimpressive to most people. All in all, though, I have found that urban TX is A LOT less backwater than most Minnesotans would think. If you're looking for an affordable, warm-weather place, it deserves consideration.
Thanks. Great comment! here are a few questions:

2.) What is "the loop" and how much does it cost to live inside it? (I'd love to hear your answer to this one because you mentioned it specifically).

Old 02-02-2016, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalgurl-stuck in-Mnpls View Post
I too agree with previous posts! MN is horrendous place to live! I reckon that even Boise, ID or Billings, MT would be much more pleasant & sophisticated (culturally, aesthetically...etc) places to live compare to this awful place.
Why don't you just go back to SoCal? I don't say it to be rude, but if you've signed a lease it couldn't be that hard to find a subleaser, could it?

I moved from Minneapolis to Tampa for weather but I've lived abroad, and in a few other US cities. I may give Houston a try, but overall I've determined that this botched move to Tampa has shown me that I need to work on myself, hopefully in the sunshine. If I can't find a US city with sunshine to my liking, I'll have to go back to Minnesota and enjoy how convenient it is and just keep a positive attitude about the cold and darkness until I can get my masters or get my company off the ground.

Honestly, so much of where you can go is linked to what job you can get. Sad that undergrad degrees are so inflated now. It's almost like you need a masters to be considered for the caliber of positions that can actually provide you with enough $$$ to enjoy a decent standard of living in any major US city that isn't in the middle of bumf*** nowhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul