Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2016, 05:54 AM

1 posts, read 650 times

Advertisements

I rented my basement to a friend of my recent ex-wife whom I had met a couple times prior to her moving in and was somewhat comfortable with the idea and has now lived in my basement since November 2015 with the approval of my landlord. There was no rental agreement as it was my wife who was not residing there at the time who relayed to her friend how much I was expecting for rent and for $50 more she could park her car in the garage and she could use the kitchen upstairs if she chose to. I also allowed her to use my washer and dryer if they were not in use. Her behavior towards my daughter while I was at work become concerning and she expressed to me in an email that she sometimes reacts with these "Outbursts" and will come out "Barrels blazing" when provoked at times. I then decided that I would only allow her to come into my living area during the times I was at home and also this was not going to work out and issued her a 30 day notice to vacate after my daughter decided she was going to move and I would no longer be able to afford this house without her portion of rent. It was at this point the subtenant told my landlord and myself she would not be moving because she said prior to moving in that even if things didn't work out she would stay until spring. After doing some research I found out that without a specific date that this would most likely not hold up as a verbal agreement and she would carry the burden of proof. Since the 30 day notice was issue, the subtenant stopped paying her rent completely! I then issued her a 14 day notice to pay or quit which will end on Feb 17th. With the notices in place and she refuses to communicate her intentions, and having no written or verbal agreement regarding any details of the privileges such as the use of the garage, I would like to know if I would have the right to refuse her use of parking her car in my garage since she is has not paid anything for the month and I could use the space for my own preparation in moving? I really want to protect myself from any of this backfiring because I didn't follow the laws properly if anyone can offer some helpful advice. What rights do I have in this situation as I understand that technically I have become her landlord and my landlord (Owner of the property) can do very little at this point!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 10:38 AM

264 posts, read 312,636 times
Not a good situation. My advice is to contact some of the tenant resource organizations in right jurisdiction. Below are the links.

My hunch is that even without a written lease, you will have to hire an attorney to file an eviction (UD - Unlawful Detainer) to get this person out of your residence.

Resource Directory of Minnesota Landlord-Tenant Law

Free Legal Help for Renters

MINNESOTA TENANTS UNION

Old 02-12-2016, 10:54 AM

267 posts, read 556,854 times
I agree with Pvoyd - call Homelinemn (the 2nd link listed).

It sounds like you may need to do a UD which will be very expensive.

What you may want to explore is a win-win negotiation. Tell her if she moves out by February xx with the place in clean condition you won't press for her to pay you anything she owes. This way she gets by without paying you and more importantly, gets no UD on her record which will make it almost impossible for her to get a rental in her name in the future. If you can't afford the whole amount then negotiate for part rent due.

This could be a win-win as it may help you avoid a large bill from a lawyer as well as court costs and aggravation.

Old 02-12-2016, 11:09 AM

264 posts, read 312,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillWallace View Post
I agree with Pvoyd - call Homelinemn (the 2nd link listed).

It sounds like you may need to do a UD which will be very expensive.

What you may want to explore is a win-win negotiation. Tell her if she moves out by February xx with the place in clean condition you won't press for her to pay you anything she owes. This way she gets by without paying you and more importantly, gets no UD on her record which will make it almost impossible for her to get a rental in her name in the future. If you can't afford the whole amount then negotiate for part rent due.

This could be a win-win as it may help you avoid a large bill from a lawyer as well as court costs and aggravation.
Good advice on negotiating first, and filing a UD only if negotiations fail, BillWallace! Should be a win-win for everybody if the other party is reasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul