Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 06:56 AM

24 posts, read 52,212 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking about moving for a job in St. Paul (near the St. Paul Union Depot Station) and we have a $250,000 budget for a home (flexible on home size). We would like the following...
  • A 30-minute-or-less commute into St. Paul (near the St. Paul Union Depot Station)
  • A yard with some trees (again, flexible on size, but having some space and greenery around is important)
  • A safe neighborhood
Does anyone know of any towns/areas like this outside of St. Paul?

Thank you for any help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 08:55 AM

367 posts, read 540,228 times
Welcome to the Twin Cities! You have multiple options to consider that would fit your criteria. I'd suggest looking at the suburbs of Roseville (north side of St. Paul), Eagan (south side), and Woodbury (east side). All are nice communities that offer housing with yards and easy commutes to St. Paul. You could also consider the city proper; Highland Park is a great neighborhood (although it may be more difficult to find a home within the allotted budget).

Old 03-16-2016, 09:04 AM

5,340 posts, read 14,080,419 times
With that budget you may want to go a little further out like White Bear Lake, Inver Grove Heights, Cottage Grove, Hastings.

Old 03-16-2016, 03:50 PM

76 posts, read 72,223 times
If you want trees try Vadnais Heights

Old 03-16-2016, 04:39 PM

3,710 posts, read 3,634,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhody2Mn View Post
Welcome to the Twin Cities! You have multiple options to consider that would fit your criteria. I'd suggest looking at the suburbs of Roseville (north side of St. Paul), Eagan (south side), and Woodbury (east side). All are nice communities that offer housing with yards and easy commutes to St. Paul. You could also consider the city proper; Highland Park is a great neighborhood (although it may be more difficult to find a home within the allotted budget).
I second this^^^^

Old 03-17-2016, 08:55 AM

30 posts, read 27,251 times
Welcome! There are properties available in Saint Paul, Vadnais Heights, Oakdale, etc. that meet your criteria. It's possible to get a half-acre lot in these areas for under $250K if the timing is right. Most are 3+ beds.

Old 03-17-2016, 08:59 AM

Thank you for the suggestions everyone! I am actually a little surprised that I can even find anything for that house price near a big city, so your ideas have helped me a lot so far!

Old 03-18-2016, 05:01 PM

12 posts, read 24,454 times
Have you thought about buying a home in Midway? It's a little more up-and-coming, but it's fairly safe, close to public transit and there are lots of charming homes on decently sized lots with mature trees. We rent in the neighborhood and our home-owning neighbors are mostly young families and older couples.

Regarding safety, I'm a little white girl who walks her dog/goes for runs alone all the time without a problem. My dog is big but definitely not scary. The closer you get to University Ave and the farther East of Snelling you go the weirder things get- but if you stay Northwest of Snelling/Univeristy it's fine. If we were in the market for buying a home, it's exactly the kind of place we'd pick to start a family.

Old 03-21-2016, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightedChemist View Post
Have you thought about buying a home in Midway? It's a little more up-and-coming, but it's fairly safe, close to public transit and there are lots of charming homes on decently sized lots with mature trees. We rent in the neighborhood and our home-owning neighbors are mostly young families and older couples.

Regarding safety, I'm a little white girl who walks her dog/goes for runs alone all the time without a problem. My dog is big but definitely not scary. The closer you get to University Ave and the farther East of Snelling you go the weirder things get- but if you stay Northwest of Snelling/Univeristy it's fine. If we were in the market for buying a home, it's exactly the kind of place we'd pick to start a family.
Thanks for the idea! We actually hadn't even considered living right in the city because we weren't sure we would be able to find what we wanted, but I'll definitely check this area out!!

Old 03-26-2016, 09:57 PM

1,269 posts, read 1,223,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonsoirLittleLuna View Post
My husband and I are thinking about moving for a job in St. Paul (near the St. Paul Union Depot Station) and we have a $250,000 budget for a home (flexible on home size). We would like the following...
  • A 30-minute-or-less commute into St. Paul (near the St. Paul Union Depot Station)
  • A yard with some trees (again, flexible on size, but having some space and greenery around is important)
  • A safe neighborhood
Does anyone know of any towns/areas like this outside of St. Paul?
I rent in Saint Paul, but I don't think I can recommend buying in the city. Additionally, I think Dakota County, south of Saint Paul, would be better than Ramsey County. That would include Mendota Heights and parts of West Saint Paul, close in, and Inver Grove Heights and Eagan just a little further out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul