Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 08:13 PM

660 posts, read 653,551 times

Advertisements

When I graduate college in a few years, Minneapolis is one of the cities I would consider moving to to start my career.

1. Is Downtown Minneapolis bustling with young people around the under 25 age range?

2. Is there a good amount of computer science jobs in Downtown?

3. Are there a lot of apartments in Downtown?

4. How safe in Minneapolis?

5. Is there a lot of walking traffic in Downtown?

6. Would you consider Downtown Minneapolis as a "stepping stone" city where it would be good for two-three years before moving on, or a city that would be good to settle in for a few decades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 11:45 AM

3,710 posts, read 3,623,110 times
1. Is Downtown Minneapolis bustling with young people around the under 25 age range?
Sure, from a work standpoint. Not so much from a living standpoint.

2. Is there a good amount of computer science jobs in Downtown?
Yes, there is a great employment market for all jobs, better than most of the country. We have a ton of F500 companies.

3. Are there a lot of apartments in Downtown?
Yes

4. How safe in Minneapolis?
Safe for a big city, but there are pockets and times to be wary of.

5. Is there a lot of walking traffic in Downtown?
yes and no. Downtown is dead on the weekends unlike many other downtowns. IMO, it's not the most happening place in the city to live. We have skyways (elevated indoor walkways) that keep people inside, so even during M-F, the streets are pretty empty, but the skyways are packed!!! Outside of 9-5 M-F however, downtown is not has happening of a place as comparable downtowns.

6. Would you consider Downtown Minneapolis as a "stepping stone" city where it would be good for two-three years before moving on, or a city that would be good to settle in for a few decades.
No, you can and should stay here. At 3.5M people, it's far more than a stepping stone. And from a Income/COL ratio standpoint, we can't be beat!!!

Old 04-14-2016, 11:51 AM

82 posts, read 214,305 times
FWIW, we are moving to MN from the beaches of the Caribbean (seriously sand is my front "yard") so that our daughters have a great environment once they graduate. From the research I've done I'd say yes, it is a great environment but I have read that there is a tend to be cliquish (and thus we are bringing them in at the high school age to try and avoid that) so that is one social thing i've read about.

Old 04-14-2016, 01:42 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,584,472 times
As Citykid points to, there are jobs/apartments/shopping downtown, but the "bustling 20-something area" you describe is a short jaunt to the south, a la Lyn-Lake/Uptown.

Old 04-14-2016, 01:59 PM

11,334 posts, read 25,968,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamnkats View Post
FWIW, we are moving to MN from the beaches of the Caribbean (seriously sand is my front "yard") so that our daughters have a great environment once they graduate. From the research I've done I'd say yes, it is a great environment but I have read that there is a tend to be cliquish (and thus we are bringing them in at the high school age to try and avoid that) so that is one social thing i've read about.
Speaking of the environment, I suspect you will discover some small differences in climate.

I think MN can be cliquish, but my theory is this is true because (1) Scanadavians and (2) many people born in MN stay in MN and have decades of established friendships already, meaning there aren't as many reasons to be outgoing as you might find in other more transient metro areas.

Old 04-14-2016, 06:18 PM

With everyone saying Minneapolis is not the most exciting town, I am wondering if I should start my career in a city more fit for younger people such as Cincinnati or Pittsburgh. I honestly love Minneapolis but in my opinion, I don't think I would enjoy it long term. Maybe 10-15 years at most if I decide to settle in Minneapolis in a few years.

After college, I think Minneapolis and Cincy is at the top of my list with Pittsburgh and Kansas City behind. What I like about those two cities is availability to everything, once I get a job and make a steady income I could do many things such as going to a few Twins game per month as I am a big baseball fan. I could get season tickets to the new US Bank Stadium or leave the city and drive an hour or so out of Minneapolis to go snowboarding, hunting, and fishing. And in Downtown, everything is relatively walkable.

Old 04-14-2016, 09:14 PM

701 posts, read 1,698,228 times
I grew up in Pittsburgh and my family still lives there so I visit frequently. I can't imagine anyone finding Pittsburgh more exciting than Minneapolis at any stage of life. It is a great city with lots to offer, but just doesn't compare to Minneapolis.

Old 04-15-2016, 10:17 AM

3,710 posts, read 3,623,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheBern View Post
With everyone saying Minneapolis is not the most exciting town, I am wondering if I should start my career in a city more fit for younger people such as Cincinnati or Pittsburgh. I honestly love Minneapolis but in my opinion, I don't think I would enjoy it long term. Maybe 10-15 years at most if I decide to settle in Minneapolis in a few years.

After college, I think Minneapolis and Cincy is at the top of my list with Pittsburgh and Kansas City behind. What I like about those two cities is availability to everything, once I get a job and make a steady income I could do many things such as going to a few Twins game per month as I am a big baseball fan. I could get season tickets to the new US Bank Stadium or leave the city and drive an hour or so out of Minneapolis to go snowboarding, hunting, and fishing. And in Downtown, everything is relatively walkable.
To be clear, your questions were about downtown Minneapolis, so that's how I answered them. I would give you different answers if you asked about the city as a whole. I would agree that DT Pittsburgh is more happening the DT Mpls, but you couldn't pay me to live in one of those rundown, earth-tone steelmill neighborhoods outside of DT Pittsburgh!!! I can appreciate Pittsburgh (and it's associated accent/language that seems to be from another planet (see "yinz")), but outside of downtown it's a fairly ugly rust belt city....

Old 04-16-2016, 08:06 AM

1,349 posts, read 1,690,252 times
Listen, many people use 'downtown' when they mean 'the city.' I heard it all the time in Chicago. Suburbanites or small town folk called the whole damn city 'downtown'.

Downtown is the actual huge tall buildings part of a city. MPLS has tons of vibrant neighborhoods that aren't in 'downtown'. In fact it's a great place for a newly graduated college student with a job. But you specifically asked about 'downtown' and like most cities our size the downtown is made more for workday stuff.

Old 04-16-2016, 10:33 AM

At the end of the day, it looks like Minneapolis is the city I will wind up in. Whether I will live there long term or only a few years is a decision by year. Any more suggestions for me in Minneapolis though?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul