Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2016, 10:50 AM

2 posts, read 1,736 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a move to the Minneapolis St. Paul area. We're a typical nuclear family, 2 kids, one dog, tend to live in the suburbs. One of my basic requirements is to be on a decent lake, with a great school district. Most of the online lists and reviews of best places to live in the Twin Cities focus on the SW metro area, with a couple references to the SE area. Since I can't afford Minnetonka lake front, I've considered White Bear Lake / Bald Eagle lake. I understand there may be some ground water influences that are decreasing the White Bear Lake water levels. Outside of that issue, can everyone give me the pros and cons of the area. School District (decent reviews on zillow), local economy, things to do, future outlook of the area vs. other parts of the Twin Cities, professional vs. blue collar, distribution of younger families vs. retired, overall local culture of the area? Thanks to everyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 11:06 AM

2 posts, read 1,736 times
I forgot to mention, there seems to be a decent number of foreclosures and pre-foreclosures on zillow for the area (smaller houses, non-lakefront).

Old 04-28-2016, 10:15 AM

197 posts, read 261,083 times
WhiteBear /Mahtomedi is awesome!!! It really depends on your budget. We live in Mahtomedi. Great schools, close to the city, but right next to beautiful Stillwater, St. Croix, Dellwood etc. This area is priceless to me. I've lived all over, CA, MO, CO, to name a few. This area is small town America at its finest. Real
estate isn't cheap if you want a newere bigger house on acreage but the really is something affirdable for everyone. WBL lakefront is pricey and the area can ne kind of cramped feeling etc. Lake Demontraville, Lake Elmo, and other lakes are around too.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:25 PM

30 posts, read 27,416 times
What do you intend to use the lake for? Recreation? Fishing?

Lakefront property anywhere around WBL starts at about $340k and quickly escalates from there. I suggest checking out Bald Eagle Lake, Turtle Lake, or even Gervais.

Zillow is be a good staring point but the data can be old and is often unreliable. If you would like info straight from the MLS let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul