Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2016, 07:57 AM

37 posts, read 66,589 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm an immigrant in this country, I pay a good amount of taxes but I can't vote nor influence any policy (for instance, why 52% of my taxes fund the war machine) Perhaps I'll get a lot of grief on this website for saying this but I hope not, I really love that Minnesota is such a progressive state where such opinions can be heard.

I was wondering if anybody on this forum is part of a non-religious institution that does progressive political activism, especially on economic policy, fiscal policy etc. Perhaps someone like me who might be in a similar situation as in immigrant. I'm imagining talks, debates, information sessions where I could probably participate. I know of some religious ones that are really good but I'm not really about the churches and stuff (no offence intended).

Would anybody have any suggestions or recommendations of places or organizations that such discussions happen? I live in Merriam park and I would like to go places in either of the downtowns or somewhere I wouldn't have to drive too far to.

I look forward to hearing from you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 08:25 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,069,811 times
I too found it unsettling that my taxes were funding bombs and bomb delivery technology. A few years back I sent a post-it note attached to my Fed Tax a request that my taxes going forward are only used for parks and fixing bridges and stuff. They sent me a letter back saying that would be no problem as they get plenty of money from the others and appreciated my feedback.

Old 05-16-2016, 11:45 PM

371 posts, read 556,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by menoninblack View Post
Hi,
I'm an immigrant in this country, I pay a good amount of taxes but I can't vote nor influence any policy (for instance, why 52% of my taxes fund the war machine)

I look forward to hearing from you!
National defense accounts for about 16% of the total federal budget. Over half of the federal budget goes for social security, Medicare, and other health subsidies. The other half includes transportation, poverty assistance, and many other categories of spending.

Old 05-17-2016, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogwood Porter View Post
maybe check out Mayday Books
Thanks for that suggestion, didn't occur to me

Old 05-17-2016, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheddar View Post
National defense accounts for about 16% of the total federal budget. Over half of the federal budget goes for social security, Medicare, and other health subsidies. The other half includes transportation, poverty assistance, and many other categories of spending.
Thanks! My numbers were from some hit piece, I guess it's not as bad as I thought but it's still quite much I suppose.

Old 05-17-2016, 12:19 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,092,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheddar View Post
Not sure how accurate this site is, but it's an interesting breakdown:

https://www.nationalpriorities.org/b...-101/spending/

Old 05-19-2016, 11:53 PM

150 posts, read 143,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Not sure how accurate this site is, but it's an interesting breakdown:
https://www.nationalpriorities.org/b...-101/spending/
Excellent link @rcsteiner ... the US is number 1 globally in military spending and out spends #2 (china),#3 (ksa) and #4 (russia) put together
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul