Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2016, 02:34 AM

4 posts, read 7,402 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I'm considering purchasing a property near Chicago and 32nd Ave S. As I understand this is the dividing line between the Central and Powderhorn neighborhoods. Before purchasing, I could use some peace of mind regarding safety/crime in the area -- I'm hearing mixed reviews, but everything I'm reading appear to be at least five years old. What are your thoughts? Do you feel safe in this neighborhood at night as well as during the day?

Any advice would be appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2016, 01:06 PM

114 posts, read 134,954 times
It's not the nicest area of Minneapolis, but not terrible either. I used to work north of there in the Phillips neighborhood until a few years ago and I never felt unsafe. Sometimes I parked on the street and never had an issue. You will get a better price on a house than neighborhoods further south.

Old 05-07-2016, 01:38 PM

4 posts, read 7,402 times
Thanks for your response, mnlife. I currently live in Northeast MPLS. To all readers: how would you say it compares?

Old 05-09-2016, 01:56 PM

871 posts, read 1,081,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lp3eb View Post
Thanks for your response, mnlife. I currently live in Northeast MPLS. To all readers: how would you say it compares?
It depends where in northeast you live. In a lot of ways Lake reminds me of Central in northeast, but Central feels safer to me in comparison.

My personal preference would be to live at least 5-10 blocks further south of 32nd & Chicago. A lot of Lake street is just too shady but it only takes about 6-8 blocks away for things to get quite a lot better. It reminds me a little bit of growing up in Whittier where I felt pretty safe in most parts of the neighborhood but there were a few stretches where I didn't.

Old 05-10-2016, 12:46 PM

540 posts, read 1,089,449 times
Yeah, the area around 32nd and Chicago has gotten better over the past few years with the Midtown Global Market coming in, but it can still get kinda dicey. My stepson is going through treatment at Children's Hospital, so sometimes I will take the 5 bus from there to MOA and it's not great at night. I used to live at 39th and Portland, and generally if you get south of 40th, it gets nicer. Most of the houses around the area have good hard working people in them, but there are problem properties (drug dealing/prostitution) that the city seems to take forever to take care of. One bad apple ruining the bunch.

Old 05-18-2016, 11:58 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,219,269 times
Further east on Lake Street is better than near Chicago & Lake, i.e., east of Hiawatha and Minnehaha -- maybe between 31st and 46th Avenues. I once lived near 38th and Portland and it was not a great neighborhood. I travel along Lake Street and along Chicago Avenue frequently, and would not choose to live in that neighborhood now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
View detailed profiles of: