U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2008, 01:32 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,005,053 times

Advertisements

Well, we might be moving to the Minneapolis/St paul area soon!

Of course, there are many, many details to grapple with, schools, economy, housing, etc, but one thing that comes to mind is my kitty. We currently live in Texas, the weather is mild here, we usually let him outside unless its cold outside. for us, cold is anything below 50 degrees F (Yes, I know, cold will take on a whole new definition!).

Well, do people let their cats outside in the winter? He doesn't use an indoor box, in bad weather he reluctantly uses a box in the garage, I'm afraid he will freeze up there. BTW, he's a large, fluffy Maine Coon, a cat bred for the cold, but his coat just isn't that dense, probably due to the mild climate here. So, what to do about kitty?

Last edited by marylee54; 02-14-2008 at 01:56 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 05:29 PM

25 posts, read 83,551 times
i pretty much let my cat decide if he wants to go out or not. when its really cold, he usually goes out for one minute then comes right back in. kind of like me, i hope it's warmer then it is, i go out try to pretend to enjoy it for a minute then retreat back to the heated enivrons.

Old 02-15-2008, 06:06 PM

481 posts, read 1,731,047 times
There was a post about dogs not far back that was full of good information, dig through the archives and read up on that.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:33 PM

18 posts, read 59,234 times
Cats and dogs are different. I have 2 terriers and they beg to go outside all the time except when it is below zero. I think spring is coming because my cat is actually going and looking out the door but has only chosen to go out once this winter. Might I suggest you visit Mpls first before moving from Texas. We deal with real cold here. It is not a definition. We take weather very seriously as people actually can freeze in the cold as can animals if left out. We just had a toddler die who got outside in the cold. If you have to ask this question maybe you really have no idea what it is like "Up North". To move across the US and not comprehend the seriousness of this for your family and your animals is very serious. No one I know who lives here would even ask what to do with the animals. Obviously they have to be protected from our extreme cold. Can you even comprehend "wind Chill"/ When I lived in Duluth many years ago, my next door neighbor came home drunk one night, fell in the back yard and froze to death within 30 feet of my back door. This can happen in minutes. Please do your research of how we live, dress, heat our homes, etc. very seriously. After you have done this then start thinking of the other issues.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:28 PM

21,697 posts, read 26,327,516 times
Your Maine Coon kitty is the purfect breed for winter weather. Just wait until his first winter, his coat will thicken adapting to the cold if he chooses to go outside. Notice I said "chooses" because if he doesn't like the cold he will get used to staying indoors. But I think although it will be strange to him at first, he will adjust.

Old 02-22-2008, 06:28 AM

116 posts, read 324,746 times
My cat doesn't go outside at all. He's scared of 'outside.' Your cat will be fine in the garage for a few minutes. Of course he won't waste any time doing his business in there, but he won't freeze. lol

Old 02-22-2008, 05:11 PM

53 posts, read 164,521 times
HI, remember me??? ahahha HOW funny!
I posted on the Austin TX forum, you said to contact you to talk more about MN ...
Well, I tried to send you a letter not sure if you got it?
Anyway, I just started snooping around on here and seen your post.....
Seems we have more in common... I to have a large fluffy Maine coon too...
We've only had him a few years (we bought him from another family) . He was never an outdoor cat, but after we bought him we let him venture on the deck and stuff, he likes it, but this winter he stands by the door to dart out with the dogs, (like usual) and finds that cold air rushing threw the door and says... uhhh NOPE and runs the other way! ahhah they're not dumb thats for sure!! ehhehe
So you kitty might like it?? But mine does not!!
Nice to see you, again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul