Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 12:43 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,250,891 times

Advertisements

My husband has a job interview coming up in Minneapolis in about a week. We're in Texas, the weather here is about 60's.

I'm worried abut how he should dress. Not for the interview, the standard business suit, of course, but for the cold. Of course, he will be inside most of the time, in heated cars, etc, but I know how cold it can get--I'm from Michigan, cold takes on a whole new meaning when you travel above the mason/Dixon line!

So, should we invest in a heavy weight parka, boots, etc? Would have to order from a catalog, they don't even sell that type of stuff here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 02:48 PM

206 posts, read 578,117 times
I just did some interviewing myself, (got an offer today ) and I would say first and foremost to check the weather before you go out.

It might be tougher on your husband since he comes from a warm climate, but I don't think there is much point getting anything particularly heavy when he isn't going to be outside for long.

Since he is wearing a suit, I would say a nice topcoat would be effective. If you want, you can pick up a hat and gloves as well. Maybe a scarf if you feel it necessary.

Still, for just a trip across a parking lot, I probably wouldn't bother unless the temperature is in the negative.

Beyond that, just go outside and get a feel for it. If your husband feels he needs more, then he can add as needed. If he ends up looking as though he were planning to enter a sled dog race, it can always just be used as something of an ice breaker to inject a little humor into the interview.

Good luck.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:51 PM

98 posts, read 510,873 times
Definitely are not going to need any special boots. Shoes will be just fine. Avoid sandals, but I would hope thats just assumed.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about a heavy parka or anything. For the amount of outside time, the heaviest jacket you've got, along with a sweater should suffice. Wouldn't hurt to bring along a stocking cap as well.

Really, I guess it depends how long you plan on sticking around. If this is a in and out, 2 day trip I certainly wouldn't invest any extra money into clothing yet. If you will be up here for any longer, however, it wouldn't hurt to get something heavier. But you could easily get that while you are in town (its not too hard to find a place that sells winter coats) if you do think you need it.

Good Luck with the trip and the interview.

Old 02-14-2008, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRiedl View Post
If your husband feels he needs more, then he can add as needed. If he ends up looking as though he were planning to enter a sled dog race, it can always just be used as something of an ice breaker to inject a little humor into the interview.

Good luck.
So you don't do sled dog races up there?

Guess that's like dressing up in a cowboy outfit for a job interview in Houston

Old 02-14-2008, 03:06 PM

MRiedl,

congratulations on the job offer! May I ask what field its in? My husband is looking for something in computer design/manufacturing................

Old 02-14-2008, 05:30 PM

481 posts, read 1,816,876 times
So far the weatherman is predicting 30's for the early & middle part of next week, so cross your fingers it'll stay that way. It's been a real rollercoaster ride this past month, subzero to 30's to teens.

Minneapolis at least is a dry cold; it won't penetrate the way a maritime winter would.

Old 02-14-2008, 05:45 PM

206 posts, read 578,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylee54 View Post
MRiedl,

congratulations on the job offer! May I ask what field its in? My husband is looking for something in computer design/manufacturing................
Thanks. It is a Data-Entry position.

One of my roommates is currently working on a contract for the University of Minnesota. I am uncertain as to his specific title, but he sets up networks and such.

I am guessing there is no shortage of work along those lines available in the area.

Old 02-14-2008, 06:35 PM

638 posts, read 3,122,950 times
If your husband has a wool winter top coat (or a dress coat that is knee length), a scarf and a pair of winter driving gloves; he should be dressed for the weather here and would be quite appropriate walking into a business with that as his outerwear. He won't be laughed at and for the exposure of a parking lot and crossing streets, etc. he won't freeze dressed like that.

Last week when it was -10, there were still young people running around here in sweat shirts and jeans with their jackets unzipped. *I* thought they were nuts myself! And don't worry, most men dressed for business in this part of the country will have outerwear like I described.

Old 02-14-2008, 06:55 PM

481 posts, read 1,816,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLee View Post
Last week when it was -10, there were still young people running around here in sweat shirts and jeans with their jackets unzipped. *I* thought they were nuts myself!
HEY! I RESEMBLE that remark!

Well, don't blame me, blame my ancestors from Frozen Armpit, Norway! (which, oddly enough, sounds vaguely touristy in it's Norwegian pronounciation).

Back on topic: For short car hops you don't need a heavy coat. Its the extremities that matter - gloves, hat or hood, and for Pete's sake don't get your feet wet or you'll be miserable.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:18 PM

35 posts, read 54,312 times
I would suggest snow boots, clean deniem jeans with Long Johns underneath, and a large warm winter jacket with ear muffs and a hat. The employer will not care wearing what you are comfortable with staying warm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul