Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 04:18 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,259,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by regionalperspective View Post
"I'm wondering if you view everything as a racial issue or as a conspiracy? The whole idea that the real estate industry conspires to segregate people based on color just doesn't make sense --at least not here in the Twin Cities where there hasn't been that type of segregatioon issues for at least 30 years. I have a friend (Latino) who is a real estate agent and she says she has more white clients than Hispanics right now; but that none of her clients ask about the color of the neighborhoods."

As far as "viewing everything as a racial issue", well the original question posed for this thread was, correct me if i'm wrong, "what are race relations REALLY like in the metro area?" I'm very interested in that discussion which is why i've chosen to participate in it, if you're interested in opening up another line of conversation, go for it. but attempting to minimize my opinion by inferring i'm some kind of obssessed nut is ineffective and frankly obnoxious.

Now to your point about "that type of segregation issue" no longer a reality here. Your niavete is astounding. There most certainly is steering in every large urban area that has been tested. go to the national fair housing alliance website and get a dose of whats up.

golf gal: i said "almost entirely white" go the department of education and look up report cards. they list the racial breakdowns for most metro area schools.
Not that this hasn't been debated before but real estate agents have nothing to do with where people live other then helping them find home. The northern states are not as diverse as the southern states simply because the vast majority of immigrants/slaves came to this country and settled in the south a few hundred years ago. Their families were there and they continued to live there generation after generation because up until the last 20 years ago or so most people did not move more then 40 miles from their home, check the past census reports for that statistic. Even today most people tend to live fairly close to where they grew up.

As a result, the northern states are not as diverse as the southern states, that is changing however. The schools across the area are a fair representation of the overall diversity of the state as a whole.

Again, people tend to migrate toward people like them. Look at all the posts here where people are looking for areas to live with people with similar interests, it is human nature to want that and not some grand conspiracy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 04:19 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,259,231 times
Quote:
POC, with particular emphasis on AAmales have statistically significant higher rates of interaction with the police in minneapolis and st. paul. Minneapolis and St. Paul schools are highly segregated by race and income. There are several schools that are almost entirely children of color and others entirely white. That crap doesn't happen by accident. Its reflective of deep and abiding institutiona/systemic racism which is only make possible by racist attitudes of the majoritiy (for now) white community. Yes, racism is alive and unwell, right here in river city folks.
To me this is the same as "all white".

Old 03-27-2008, 03:24 PM

72,948 posts, read 62,513,875 times
Quote:
"I find that usually people gravitate to their own ethnic group, for comfort sake, and thus they all end up in the same general areas of town. This isn't some conspiracy by some city officials. Also, there are "open" schools allowed in Minnesota, so if a child wants to commute to a southern suburb, they just have to apply to go there by January of the year they want to attend that school. So it is open enrollment in Minnesota."

No, its a conspriacy by a little business known as the real estate industry. City officials probably do not have much to do with it, although they control where "affordable housing" gets built and in that way control patterns of segregation by income, which closely align with pattern racial segregation. But there is no question that residential steering remains a significant factor in spatial/residential segregation. Open enrollment is being limited, as we write, as more and more inner city families opt to enroll in suburban schools. Edina for example is considering closing their open enrollment.

Interesting. I think of gravitating towards places where I might be welcomed and received well.

Old 03-27-2008, 05:09 PM

1,935 posts, read 5,825,239 times
I saw a poster printed by the Minneapolis Foundation today, I tried to find the increased ethnic diversity/ mmigrant thread as it would be more appropriate, but this thread has been beaten to death so at this point I assume it's fair game.

The backdrop on the poster (e.g. flyer) is a picture of three smiling East African women in traditional clothing, it reads (yes, I got it verbatim here):

[Big letters]"Maybe you're just not sure what to make of all these new Minnesotans bringing in all these strange new cultures and customs. But hey, have you ever REALLY thought about lutefisk?"

[paragraph at the bottom] "Surveys show that Americans have always believed earlier waves of immigrants were useful citizens, but that the newly arrived are somehow less desirable. The same holds true in Minnesota. Many people just a generation or two "off the boat" from Europe can't seem to find it in their hearts to welcome newcomers from Asia, Africa and elsewhere. They say they're too different. Different language, different color, different customs, different religion. Funny, we always thought being tolerant of other people's differences was one of those things that made Minnesota a great state to live in. Learn more about these new immigrants." Then it gives a number to call to get a free booklet, and at the bottom the words "Minnesota, nice or not?"

Old 03-27-2008, 06:51 PM

501 posts, read 1,944,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post
I saw a poster printed by the Minneapolis Foundation today, I tried to find the increased ethnic diversity/ mmigrant thread as it would be more appropriate, but this thread has been beaten to death so at this point I assume it's fair game.

The backdrop on the poster (e.g. flyer) is a picture of three smiling East African women in traditional clothing, it reads (yes, I got it verbatim here):

[Big letters]"Maybe you're just not sure what to make of all these new Minnesotans bringing in all these strange new cultures and customs. But hey, have you ever REALLY thought about lutefisk?"

[paragraph at the bottom] "Surveys show that Americans have always believed earlier waves of immigrants were useful citizens, but that the newly arrived are somehow less desirable. The same holds true in Minnesota. Many people just a generation or two "off the boat" from Europe can't seem to find it in their hearts to welcome newcomers from Asia, Africa and elsewhere. They say they're too different. Different language, different color, different customs, different religion. Funny, we always thought being tolerant of other people's differences was one of those things that made Minnesota a great state to live in. Learn more about these new immigrants." Then it gives a number to call to get a free booklet, and at the bottom the words "Minnesota, nice or not?"
That's a fantastic flyer! I love when people get creative.

Old 03-29-2008, 03:35 AM

59 posts, read 308,201 times
Well, I guess I can make my answer short & sweet. I moved here in 2006, and have lived right on the Bloomington/Eagan line since. I work in Edina, and am 21 years old, caucasian, and gay (not the flamboyant type however - I don't advertise it to people like others). I've never had a problem with people, however, I will say its nowhere NEAR as liberal as my old stomping grounds (Madison, WI) where its normal to see large groups of inter-racial friends, couples, etc. We get along here, but I wouldn't say like that. At least in my area.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:48 AM

72,948 posts, read 62,513,875 times
How does Hopkins, Robbinsdale, and St. Louis Park sound?

Old 03-29-2008, 03:40 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,757,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T. View Post
Well, I guess I can make my answer short & sweet. I moved here in 2006, and have lived right on the Bloomington/Eagan line since. I work in Edina, and am 21 years old, caucasian, and gay (not the flamboyant type however - I don't advertise it to people like others). I've never had a problem with people, however, I will say its nowhere NEAR as liberal as my old stomping grounds (Madison, WI) where its normal to see large groups of inter-racial friends, couples, etc. We get along here, but I wouldn't say like that. At least in my area.
thats because you live in Eagan.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:32 AM

638 posts, read 3,121,887 times
I agree with nick is rulz on this point.

Old 03-30-2008, 05:06 AM

59 posts, read 308,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick is rulz View Post
thats because you live in Eagan.
Haha, not quite sure what that means, but I'm guessing you're saying things are a bit more conservative and/or ritzy here? Because I know I've been to other neighboring suburbs (Richfield, parts of Burnsville, etc.) and have seen that interracial mix. ... perhaps I have the wool over my eyes by living here & working in Edina? (there & Minnetonka is where most of my friends are)... is it different in those areas? hm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul