Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 10:42 AM

17 posts, read 16,305 times

Advertisements

Just curious. Looking at a job out there starting at $90K. If I'm the sole breadwinner with a small child that needs daycare, can I live relatively comfortably out there on that kind of salary? I'm talking, 2-3 bedroom house in a decent neighborhood with a good school. That's basically all I need - with a reasonable commute. I would like to use transit, if available though. I have a good car, I just like transit. Used it all the time out in Portland and loved it. A lot more relaxing than sitting in traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 11:54 AM

367 posts, read 545,033 times
You absolutely can afford a nice lifestyle on that income in the Twin Cities. I know many people who live on far less than that and still have a great quality of life. The metro area, while not the cheapest in the nation, is still far more affordable than many cities (particularly on the east/west coasts). The only downside, and I mention this because you indicated you'll need daycare, is that from what I've heard, daycare costs in Minnesota are some of the highest in the country.

Transit is getting better here compared to where it was (as we now have two light rail lines, decent bus service, etc), but in general, it's best in the urban cores of Minneapolis and St. Paul and gets progressively worse the farther away you go from these cities (i.e. third and fourth ring suburbs may offer bus service but the routes/locations/times won't be nearly as convenient as what you'd find in Minneapolis or St. Paul proper).

Where will you be working? I'd suggest living nearby your work location if possible to minimize your commute. What type of environment are you looking for - urban, rural, suburban? We can provide specific suggestions depending on what you're seeking.

Old 06-10-2016, 12:03 PM

If I get the job, I'll be working in St. Paul. The reason we're one income is because my SO will stay home with our son to avoid daycare costs - we're hoping to have another soon.

It looks like there are some really affordable houses in St. Paul, but I know things always look better in the internet. Are there neighborhoods to avoid?

P.S. You're from Rhode Island? I lived in Cranston for 3 years.

Old 06-10-2016, 12:52 PM

367 posts, read 545,033 times
I like the Highland Park or St. Anthony Park areas of St. Paul. If you're looking for a true urban experience, lowertown (part of downtown) is booming right now as well. If you like suburban environments, I'd look at Roseville, Shoreview, or Woodbury as they are all nice locations offering good commutes to St. Paul.

P.P.S. I am from Rhode Island originally, but have lived here over 20 years. This is a great area and although I miss home for the ocean, I've grown to really love the Twin Cities.

Best of luck to you!

Old 06-10-2016, 01:03 PM

442 posts, read 593,191 times
90K/year around the Twin Cities is perfectly adequate. Even in the best school districts (Mounds View, for example), you can find a nice home in a good neighborhood for $250,000 or less as long as you're realistic about what you want in a home. I'd suggest renting for a bit to get a feel for the Twin Cities and pick an area you love — don't rush into buying something immediately.

Old 06-10-2016, 03:26 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,596,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mywayhome View Post
If I get the job, I'll be working in St. Paul. The reason we're one income is because my SO will stay home with our son to avoid daycare costs - we're hoping to have another soon.

It looks like there are some really affordable houses in St. Paul, but I know things always look better in the internet. Are there neighborhoods to avoid?

P.S. You're from Rhode Island? I lived in Cranston for 3 years.
Stay on the south side of 94 and you will be in a good neighborhood.

Old 06-14-2016, 04:05 PM

Thanks for the information and advice! Renting sounds like a good idea, but we have two large dogs. Most folks aren't inclined to rent to pet owners, at least not where we're at. I will look into it though. It would make much more sense to get a feel for the area first.

Old 06-14-2016, 08:25 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
You'll have a very comfortable middle class lifestyle on that income. Granted, childcare can be expensive here, but it's offset by the still relatively more affordable housing. And if you don't need full-time childcare, there are lots of great part-time preschool options around (3-5 mornings per week, that sort of thing), a nice way for your child to get time with a teacher and other kids, and for your SO to have some adult time to get things done during the day!

There are many very family-friendly neighborhoods in St. Paul. I especially love the St. Anthony Park area, but there are plenty of good options. Merriam Park is another neighborhood that always seems to have tons of kids around. And living within walking distance of Como Park is another great family option. And as mentioned, if you prefer suburbs, there are plenty of options convenient to St. Paul.

By the way, there are some very active parent groups in and around St. Paul, which would be an easy way to meet new people (at least people with young kids) immediately.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:13 AM

1,500 posts, read 1,771,178 times
Well quite honestly by avoiding daycare I think it's perfectly reasonable. Daycare here is one of the highest in the nation. We are talking $1300ish a month for one infant and slightly less as we go up in age. As far as the rest, MN has some hefty taxes on income... property taxes aren't terrible but for what you'd be looking for maybe $3500-5000 a year. So as long as you don't purchase a home more than $250k (maybe less depending on down payment) and have minimal debt I think 90k is fine. That's my two cents.

Congrats on your job offer!

Old 06-15-2016, 09:46 AM

871 posts, read 1,087,889 times
I'm going to start out by saying 'ditto' - 90K is doable particularly since your daycare will be covered by your SO. May I ask what part of St. Paul you'll be working in? If downtown, for example, we can point you to specific neighborhoods that are transit friendly in general but also in particular for getting to and from work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul