Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 03:33 PM

27 posts, read 76,211 times

Advertisements

Spring begins around Memorial Day.
Summer is the first couple weeks in July.
Fall is Labor Day weekend.
Winter is all the rest
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 04:17 PM

638 posts, read 3,113,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBill View Post
Spring begins around Memorial Day.
Summer is the first couple weeks in July.
Fall is Labor Day weekend.
Winter is all the rest
Well, I don't know about that. I just saw 12 teens get off the school bus down the street as I was driving home and I'd say the teenagers around here think it's already spring! Out of the 12 teens, 3 were wearing short sleeved t-shirts, 8 were wearing sweatshirts (if they had the zippered ones, they were not zipped up), and only one kid was wearing what I'd call a "light" ski jacket.

The temperature is 27 degrees right ow, we have a light snow, and a light wind of 8-10 MPH (making the wind chill = 22 degrees). So to the kids, it must be spring!

Old 02-28-2008, 05:47 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,066,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLee View Post
Well, I don't know about that. I just saw 12 teens get off the school bus down the street as I was driving home and I'd say the teenagers around here think it's already spring! Out of the 12 teens, 3 were wearing short sleeved t-shirts, 8 were wearing sweatshirts (if they had the zippered ones, they were not zipped up), and only one kid was wearing what I'd call a "light" ski jacket.

The temperature is 27 degrees right ow, we have a light snow, and a light wind of 8-10 MPH (making the wind chill = 22 degrees). So to the kids, it must be spring!
Teen agers never wear winter coats any more so this isn't all that surprising. You should see the bus stop by our house when it is -40° wind chills, they MIGHT put on a hooded sweatshirt and the real freeze babies put their hoods up .

Old 02-28-2008, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Teen agers never wear winter coats any more so this isn't all that surprising. You should see the bus stop by our house when it is -40° wind chills, they MIGHT put on a hooded sweatshirt and the real freeze babies put their hoods up .
See! Minnesota doesn't have bad winters anymore!

Old 02-28-2008, 06:57 PM

481 posts, read 1,810,336 times
The crazy part is when you walk outside and start thinking to yourself "Huh? five below doesn't feel all that bad, why are they talking about it on TV?".

Old 03-02-2008, 06:00 AM

18 posts, read 66,650 times
August 27th marks the beginning of Spring.

August 29th marks the beginning of Summer.

September 1st marks the beginning of Fall.

Somewhere in there the State Fair happens.

Seriously, season begin and end on the same dates as any other part of the country. The weather, on the other hand, may not.

Old 03-02-2008, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Seriously, season begin and end on the same dates as any other part of the country. The weather, on the other hand, may not.
Now, THIS I will agree with!

Old 03-03-2008, 12:26 AM

18 posts, read 62,407 times
Hate to rain on anybodies parade but I once saw ice on Lake Superior in July and also had snow up North that same year. But than I am old as the hills (61). I have found that usualoly in March you began to feel like winter is almost over and Minnesotans began to reallly circulate and seem more upbeat. A really good sign is my Cat has began to venture outside after not going out since November (not a groundhog but maybe close enough)

Old 03-04-2008, 03:53 PM

7,646 posts, read 18,041,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haver View Post
Here's my own emotional "Mental Map" of the seasons:

Jan 1-21 Real winter, but holiday after-glow and superbowl keeps you occupied, plus you expected it.
Jan 22 Statistical coldest day of the year
Jan 23 - late February: Ouch. Ouch. Ouch. Bleach!!!!
late February - mid March: Less Ouch, more Bleach!!! Oh look! 15 inches of snow!
mid March - mid April: More snow ... or is it slush? Look! Daylight!!
mid April - early May: Hey!! Grass!!!! No, don't step on it.
May: Boss, can I have the month off?
June: I am so happy I just can't believe it!
July: Um ... gettin' kinda hot out. *swats mosquito*
August: Looking forward to work so I can be in a/c for 8 hours
September: the "other" happy month. And everyone's back in school so there's no crowd!
October: wonderful day for a walk among the falling leaves, have a cup of cider.
November: No ... not again *dread*
Late November - New Years: Yes, I know its cold outside but at least no one's playing "Jingle Bell Rock"!
For Duluth:

January: I'm so sick of this FREAKING cold, please! This is agony!

February: What?! Another week of highs below 0! Stop this torture!

March: Yes! It climbed above freezing! What? Now it's below 0 again with a blizzard alert? Argghhhhh....

April: Finally, the snow has melted! Yeah! Now everything's muddy and wet, and the temperature still isn't warm!

May: Wonderful! A day in the 70's! Thunderstorm? Yeah! Summertime baby!

June: Maybe I shouldn't have wished for this. Now mosquitoes are everywhere, the swamps are crawling with every insect known to man, and what?! It's supposed to be 54 and rainy tomorrow! Stupid lake!

July: Ah, this is the life. 75 degrees, partly cloudy, people on the street, things to do. Maybe I'll go hiking over the weekend.

August: It's getting a little bit sticky, but still nice. And mosquitoes are out, but bees are in.

September: The best month of them all. Watch the leaves turn radiant red and yellow. And the temperature's good, except highs might be in the 40's next week.

October: (beginning of month) What beautiful leaves! Better use this last 70 degree day! (end of month) Ohhhh, the leaves are gone and winter's coming. Errr, it's barely going to make it to freezing today, and it's like 20 out right now. You can smell winter in the air.

November: Better use this last 50 / 45 degree day! (next day) First snow of the year! Whoo hoo! So nice and fresh and innocent.

December: Already kind of getting sick of this snow. At least Christmas is coming up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul