Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2016, 09:46 AM

533 posts, read 642,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
The person that shot the 5 Dallas officers had planned it a long time ago by all accounts/reports. He is the only one with that blood on his hands. To blame and deflect to a governor or President instead of the guilty violent killer of these cops shows extreme disrespect to the slain officers and their families and is irresponsible in my view. Your first paragraph is an attempt to instigate to fan flames here IMO. It is obvious. Fortunately, though, it only reaches a small number of us on this particular internet forum. Fully support your right to say it, but you are clearly wrong here and that is my right to say (and anyone else here as well). Agree to disagree.

Just to set up logistics for his violent action took time...far more than a couple days. This guy was a fanatic who had planned on doing this for a long time. He could care less what politicians said or did not say.

The governor had enough information to share his concerns about these matters as bold leaders often do. To say nothing, especially considering there was a four year old girl in the vehicle, would have been irresponsible in my view.

If we can prevent a few hundred unnecessary deaths of both police officers and black citizens in the future through improved relations, more requiring of body cameras on police, better screening of officers (the officer that shot Mr. Castile in this case never should have qualified for more than a desk job...extremely obvious from his erratic, crazy behavior on the video IMO). We can only hope, make an effort, and pray that it happens.
Couldn't have said it better. Rather than denying a racial element in the shootings, if we accept and find solutions, it would be in everyone's best interest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2016, 10:07 AM

2,173 posts, read 4,407,769 times
Quote:
The person that shot the 5 Dallas officers had planned it a long time ago by all accounts/reports. He is the only one with that blood on his hands. To blame and deflect to a governor or President instead of the guilty violent killer of these cops shows extreme disrespect to the slain officers and their families in particular and the citizens of Dallas in general, and is irresponsible in my view. Your first paragraph is an attempt to instigate to fan flames here IMO. It is obvious. Fortunately, though, it only reaches a small number of us on this particular internet forum.

Fully support your right to say it, but you are clearly wrong here and that is my right to say (and anyone else here as well). Agree to disagree.

Just to set up logistics for his violent action took time...far more than a couple days. This guy was a fanatic who had planned on doing this for a long time. He could care less what politicians said or did not say.

The governor had enough information to share his concerns about these matters as bold leaders often do. To say nothing, especially considering there was a four year old girl in the vehicle, would have been irresponsible in my view. She could be seriously traumatized for a very long time. Let us think about that before taking potshots at a governor who has to be concerned about these matters.

If we can prevent a few hundred unnecessary deaths of both police officers and black citizens in the future through improved relations, more requiring of body cameras on police, better screening of officers (the officer that shot Mr. Castile in this case never should have qualified for more than a desk job...extremely obvious from his erratic, crazy behavior on the video IMO). We can only hope, make an effort, and pray that it happens.
Totally disagree. The media hype of these two recent incidents (Louisiana and MN) pushed the Dallas shooter over the edge as he stated. He stated when he was being negotiated with that he wanted to kill white people and especially white cops. He said he was upset by the recent shootings and influenced by BLM. What pushed him over the edge was the media hyped coverage of these two events (before all the facts were in) and all the media hype over the police killings of blacks since Ferguson. The MN Gov't helped fan the flames of the media hype before he had all the facts saying if these people were white this wouldn't have happened. The MN cop was Hispanic and this was not released initially until after the Dallas shootings, it was assumed he was white. The Hispanic MN cop also has said this was not racially motivated, it was motivated by the gun of the driver. We don't have all the facts yet. Wait until it is tried by a jury before blaming.

Obama helps shape the "national narrative" over these issues. He came out on Trayvon and Ferguson criticizing police before he had all the facts ("if I had a son he would look like Trayvon") and making these into racial incidents, when after the facts were reviewed in both cases he was wrong. Obama endorsed BLM which was a motivating force for the Dallas killer. Obama has been very anti police during these police killing incidents and taking sides. This all helps create a "national narrative" of blame in these issues which helped inspire the Dallas killer (and the NYC black male that executed a Asian and Hispanic cop last year in cold blood). I generally like Obama, I voted for him the first time, but I think he has been wrong on shaping the national narrative as anti-cop in the police killings and is partially to blame for the Dallas cop deaths.

Old 07-10-2016, 10:31 AM

15,408 posts, read 6,195,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
Totally disagree. The media hype of these two recent incidents (Louisiana and MN) pushed the Dallas shooter over the edge as he stated. He stated when he was being negotiated with that he wanted to kill white people and especially white cops. He said he was upset by the recent shootings and influenced by BLM. What pushed him over the edge was the media hyped coverage of these two events (before all the facts were in) and all the media hype over the police killings of blacks since Ferguson. The MN Gov't helped fan the flames of the media hype before he had all the facts saying if these people were white this wouldn't have happened. The MN cop was Hispanic and this was not released initially until after the Dallas shootings, it was assumed he was white. The Hispanic MN cop also has said this was not racially motivated, it was motivated by the gun of the driver. We don't have all the facts yet. Wait until it is tried by a jury before blaming.

Obama helps shape the "national narrative" over these issues. He came out on Trayvon and Ferguson criticizing police before he had all the facts ("if I had a son he would look like Trayvon") and making these into racial incidents, when after the facts were reviewed in both cases he was wrong. Obama endorsed BLM which was a motivating force for the Dallas killer. Obama has been very anti police during these police killing incidents and taking sides. This all helps create a "national narrative" of blame in these issues which helped inspire the Dallas killer (and the NYC black male that executed a Asian and Hispanic cop last year in cold blood). I generally like Obama, I voted for him the first time, but I think he has been wrong on shaping the national narrative as anti-cop in the police killings and is partially to blame for the Dallas cop deaths.
I am not surprised you "totally disagree". LOL. I believe leaders that say nothing when these things happen are the ones who are truly reckless. You have a right to believe otherwise.

I refuse to excuse the shooter's actions as a reaction to the media coverage. He was a violent shooter who planned this, and is solely to blame. Thanks to the Dallas PD, he will never shoot again and no court costs will be had. They had no other choice. As far as Ferguson, that was a tragedy, but it was last year's news and people on both the left and right made some incorrect statements. True. However, I am more concerned with how we deal with these incidents that occurred this past week.

As I type this, President Obama is on the news praising police officers and warning against people over-generalizing and attacking police in general over the small percentage of bad officers. He said the majority of officers do a very good job.

Governor Dayton has a responsibility to lead and share concerns, especially when a young adult who worked at a school and was respected there, was killed while there was a four year old girl in the vehicle. To not comment at all, though you seem to prefer that, would have been irresponsible.

Have no problem with further investigation. That is what will happen. I will be surprised, though, if the shooting officer is not charged. If the officer is charged, I truly believe his best choice is to plead guilty in exchange for less time served. I know that is for others to decide.

He clearly has less credibility than the surviving woman in the video stream in a court of law IMO. Ordinarily I would say the officer, but the video clearly shows otherwise. If only she could have video streamed a few minutes sooner! She was composed and he was frankly crazed, out of control and nowhere near professional (no disrespect to most officers who are more professional).

BTW, I have read other forums where people have posted the video streaming probably saved her life.

Nonetheless, thanks for sharing your views.

Last edited by chessgeek; 07-10-2016 at 11:04 AM..

Old 07-10-2016, 11:32 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,129,801 times
One little tid bit. The lady in video said a bunch of times the officer was Chinese, he wasn't, some credibility lost. What it boils down to, whether right or wrong is nothing would have happened if he didn't have a gun in his car.

Old 07-10-2016, 01:02 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,464,397 times
She said he was Asian. Has a photo of the officer been shared? He has a Spanish surname, but so do Filipinos.

Old 07-10-2016, 02:08 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,746,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...t-on-facebook/

I came on this page disappointed to see that there was no thread started yet to discuss this story. This is not something to sweep under the rug. How are Minnesotans dealing with this? Or are you just ignoring it? Social justice for minorities in Minnesota needs to be addressed. I read that the black to white imprisonment rate in Minnesota is among the highest in the nation. How are these problems being addressed? My guess is it's the typical Minnesota "ignore it and it doesn't exist" mentality.
Hey look, race baiting!!!

Old 07-10-2016, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
She said he was Asian. Has a photo of the officer been shared? He has a Spanish surname, but so do Filipinos.
He's a member of the Minnesota Hispanic Law Officers Assc or something of that nature. He's Hispanic.

Old 07-10-2016, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
One little tid bit. The lady in video said a bunch of times the officer was Chinese, he wasn't, some credibility lost. What it boils down to, whether right or wrong is nothing would have happened if he didn't have a gun in his car.
That's so racist of her. SMH

Old 07-10-2016, 02:22 PM

Quote:
I am not surprised you "totally disagree". LOL. I believe leaders that say nothing when these things happen are the ones who are truly reckless. You have a right to believe otherwise.

I refuse to excuse the shooter's actions as a reaction to the media coverage. He was a violent shooter who planned this, and is solely to blame. Thanks to the Dallas PD, he will never shoot again and no court costs will be had. They had no other choice. As far as Ferguson, that was a tragedy, but it was last year's news and people on both the left and right made some incorrect statements. True. However, I am more concerned with how we deal with these incidents that occurred this past week.

As I type this, President Obama is on the news praising police officers and warning against people over-generalizing and attacking police in general over the small percentage of bad officers. He said the majority of officers do a very good job.

Governor Dayton has a responsibility to lead and share concerns, especially when a young adult who worked at a school and was respected there, was killed while there was a four year old girl in the vehicle. To not comment at all, though you seem to prefer that, would have been irresponsible.

Have no problem with further investigation. That is what will happen. I will be surprised, though, if the shooting officer is not charged. If the officer is charged, I truly believe his best choice is to plead guilty in exchange for less time served. I know that is for others to decide.

He clearly has less credibility than the surviving woman in the video stream in a court of law IMO. Ordinarily I would say the officer, but the video clearly shows otherwise. If only she could have video streamed a few minutes sooner! She was composed and he was frankly crazed, out of control and nowhere near professional (no disrespect to most officers who are more professional).

BTW, I have read other forums where people have posted the video streaming probably saved her life.

Nonetheless, thanks for sharing your views.
He was also a well known Crip gang member, drug user, reckless drunk driver. His gang have shot multiple people within a mile of JJ Hill Montessori. Why he was working at a school is a mystery to me. None of this, by itself means he deserved to be killed, but the narrative of the innocent, hard working, civilian is not entirely accurate.

What would you charge him with exactly? It'd be virtually impossible to convict him of murder, imo. That's one of the reasons cops always get off in these shootings is that the public becomes so emotional that they demand overly severe charges that never stick.

I keep hearing emotional people in the neighborhood saying the cop was White (which we now know isn't true) and that he pulled over Castile so he could murder him in a cold blooded execution. You don't believe that do you?

I don't agree with your assessment that she has more credibility at all. She is a drug user and heavy drinker. That will be brought up at trial if she testifies. Her reaction seemed almost drug induced in how matter-of-fact it was considering the circumstances. Also, we've seen repeatedly that the eye witnesses lie or distort facts in high profile cases. Michael Brown (on his knees, hands up, begging for his life when shot execution style), Jamar Clark (handcuffed and shot execution style), et al.

What I think is we should wait until we know the facts before making any decisions in this, or any other case.

Old 07-10-2016, 02:42 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,464,397 times
Where is this fan fiction coming from?? You Minnesotans are something else. Love to cling to your close-mindedness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul