Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2016, 01:35 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
ahhhhh....so the media is in on it too
Of course they are.

Most major media outlets in this country are largely focused on profits (and getting eyeballs to their stories), and posting meaningful stories is a secondary consideration. Can't bore the public.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 02:16 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Of course they are.

Most major media outlets in this country are largely focused on profits (and getting eyeballs to their stories), and posting meaningful stories is a secondary consideration. Can't bore the public.

so the media knows that the whites (or other than black people) care so little about their "people" being killed by cops that they don't bother to report on it as much? even tho we have heard that there is more of these other killings happening than with blacks being killed by the police. I got it now, whites hate their own too much too care

Old 07-14-2016, 03:30 PM

9,742 posts, read 11,163,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
so the media knows that the whites (or other than black people) care so little about their "people" being killed by cops that they don't bother to report on it as much? even tho we have heard that there is more of these other killings happening than with blacks being killed by the police. I got it now, whites hate their own too much too care
In fairness, controversy sells. So if it emits an emotion, then people pay attention more (which means clicks or eyeballs glued to a TV). For instance if you are trying to get money for charity, show children suffering. OF COURSE people don't want to see adults starve any more than children. But it's the children starving that makes people pay (much) more attention. Including me.

Therefore if I hear about a white cop shooting a white person pulled over, I am not wondering if it is because of the color of their skin. Hence, I don't pay attention as much. The media will report whatever gets more attention. It is what it is... The media simply reports more information when it is controversial. It could be some asinine Trump tweet or if a Kardashian "blasts Taylor Swift" Kim Kardashian Talks Taylor Swift, Kanye West Feud on KUWTK - Us Weekly .

Old 07-14-2016, 03:48 PM

2,818 posts, read 2,285,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ennuilyn View Post
Countless white or other than black people are killed by cops but nobody gives a crap. Only blacks make good news stories.
Ok, sure there is truth to the notion that when a white person is killed by the police it is treated as a local matter and recieves far less national media attention. There is also some truth to the idea that when a white police officer kills a black man, the headline reads "White police officer kills black man", while when a non-white police officer kills a place man the headline reads "Police officer kills black man." Are the double standards and implicit assumptions, sure.

I fairly seed that point. But, when viewed in the broader context of society there are FAR more double standards that go the other way.

So sure there are a few isolated examples of times black people may benefit from a double standard. But, if you were forced to switch lives with another person selected at random, and all you were given was their race, which would you pick?

Old 07-14-2016, 08:39 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,747,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedosius View Post
There is nothing real to support your assertion that he was a crip.

Nothing.

Everything you and that website offer as evidence was stretched beyond belief. At the same time, you say we should withhold judgement on the officer's actions during the shooting.

This is hypocrisy at it's very finest. You have no credibility.
I want to apologize for saying Castile was a "well known Crip gang member" & walk that statement back. If there's a scale for being reasonable, with '5' being the most reasonable and '1' and '10' being the most extreme, yet equally unreasonable, by statement was a '10'.

Conversely your statement that there's "Nothing to support my assertion that he was a Crip" is equally extreme and a '1' on the scale of reasonable.

He posted "merry CRIPmas and a happy BLUE year" on facebook. He tweeted out a similar post. He's seen throwing up gang signs. He posted pics of himself posing with an obvious Crip member. He was a member of a 'Crip Gang' facebook page. His girlfriend posted a Crip meme. There is obviously something to support my assertion, it's just not conclusive. More accurately, I should have said he's an apparent Crip gang member & obvious associate of some sort.

I sincerely doubt that if the cop had posted "Merry KLANmas and a happy WHITE year" on both facebook and twitter, was seen throwing up seig heil salutes, posted pics of himself posing with a guy in a Klan outfit, was a member of a Klan facebook group and had his girlfriend posting Klan memes, that you would have taken the same position. There's plenty of hypocrisy to go around.

Old 07-14-2016, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Here is a link for Bob Kroll.
url.www.startribune.com/controversy-follows-minneapolis-police-union-chief/3615170617

He has not only been controversial regarding his violent actions, views and treatment of black citizens, but also made disparaging remarks about a gay person that worked for former mayor R.T. Rybak. Have to also criticize chief Harteau on this to be honest. Chief Brown in Dallas would never have tolerated that. Kroll is a "cancer" in the department. Terminating or at least demoting him would go a long way toward improving police and community relations. Harteau has the experience, usually says the right things, but when it comes to taking responsible action against the worst people in the Minneapolis PD, she has no courage.

It really disappoints me to acknowledge that the Dallas police department is so much more effective and progressive than the Minneapolis police department.

Bottom line: Officer Bob Kroll is far more violent and dangerous than Philando Castile ever was in his lifetime, but he somehow escapes accountability and keeps his job. Minneapolis could replace him with a better, more qualified person in just 10 days if it so chose, but the police chief lacks courage. Dallas has a police chief with courage. If things don't improve by the end of the year, Harteau needs to be replaced IMO.
How can he be terminated or demoted by Harteau or the mayor? He's the UNION chief. They can't just fire the head of the union, even if you want to. This type of untouch-ability is largely why many conservatives are so anti-union. Are you an anti-union person like the those conservatives, or pro-union person?

Old 07-14-2016, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
That is true, plus I am now finding out he was suspended once and had beaten up a 15 year old and also roughed up an elderly couple in north Minneapolis. Will try to provide links tonight. Not surprised as well!

BTW, correction on an earlier post of mine. I said the Lynx game was on Monday; it was actually Saturday.
Do you still maintain there's a 15% chance that officer Yanez and his partner planned this murder out in advance? That they set out that day with a plan to murder a random Black person? They were just dying to get their names and pictures in the paper, end their careers, etc? Maybe your emotions got the best of you?

Old 07-14-2016, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedosius View Post
Black Republican Senator gives speech detailing how he is regularly racially profiled by police

GOP Sen. Tim Scott gives powerful floor speech on race, traffic stops - StarTribune.com

NYT: Surprising New Evidence Shows Bias in Police Use of Force but Not in Shootings

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/12/up...ings.html?_r=0

Old 07-14-2016, 08:53 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,197,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
No one is saying the Gov shouldn't have said anything. He could have made any statement he wanted, but without saying that it wouldn't have happened if the driver was white. He has no proof to back up that statement up and all it did was disrespect the police and create more racial division. He has zero proof to back up that the same thing wouldn't have happened had the driver been white.
A milder, less decisive statement would not have been as effective IMO and could be viewed as sweeping the issue under the rug. He owed that to the Castile family, the girlfriend and the community, especially when there was a four year old in the car. He did say it was his belief. I believe officer Yanez' erratic, crazy behavior on videoi was telling.

Btw, Dayton never said he could prove it absolutely or that he was absolutely 100% certain Castile was killed because he was black, just that it was probable in his view. Had there been no video of the immediate aftermath, he may have made the type of statement that you recommended.

The investigation will be done based on the facts and evidence. Dayton's statement will not be considered in the decision to charge him or not.

Old 07-14-2016, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathedralhill1 View Post
Officer who shot Castile went to 'Bulletproof Warrior' training - StarTribune.com

While we sit around for a full week debating the personal character of Philando, this key bit of information doesn't see the light of day. I for one see a double standard here. This training the officer received seems directly relevant to the shooting in a way that none of the information brought forth about Philando does, making it so much more important to talk about. Yet it isn't talked about for a full week.

I think a demand that police departments stop enabling their officers to take part in these courses would be an excellent talking point for the demonstrators.
It came out in the paper yesterday. That's why. Not some racist conspiracy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul