Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 09:57 PM

928 posts, read 1,100,947 times

Advertisements

Don't move here, your husband will likely be shot within a forthnight and you raped at gunpoint. Just another day in Minneapolistan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 03:17 AM

178 posts, read 346,668 times
Thanks for starting this thread. My family is multiracial as well and looking for special ed programs in MPLS, St. Paul, or nearby suburbs. Maybe we can share notes? I'm trying to build a database of contacts for Special Ed (middle school) at the various districts.

We're also concerned about racial profiling, policing, etc. This is a problem where we are too and I think it's fair to be thoughtful about it.

Best wishes to you in your search too.

Old 08-11-2016, 11:21 PM

1,935 posts, read 5,828,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursicinus View Post
Unfortunately--and I feel bad for saying this, but--the one area you really do probably want to avoid if you're just moving to the area is North Minneapolis, (very) roughly north of 394 and west of 94, as this is a higher-poverty area with the crime issues that unfortunately tend to go along with that.
I'm not commenting on this thread because I think the Northside is a fit for the OP, moreso because I've noticed a number of threads where you seem to feel it's your job to trash-talk the Northside, Ursicinus. Is the Northside a diverse, urban area? Yes. Are there areas of the Northside that are currently experiencing a lot of crime and poverty? Yes. Are there areas of the Northside that are wonderful places to live with an amazing sense of community? Yes. And do some of these areas have great schools and quiet blocks that can compete with affluent areas of Minneapolis (in general appearance, housing stock, number of crimes/year, and household income)? Yes.

Sweeping generalizations often belie a lack of knowledge, and in promoting the "writing off" of entire quadrants of the city, you follow in the footsteps of a long tradition of real estate discrimination and redlining in this country.

And, FWIW, it has not been uncommon for my middle/upper-income friends that identify as people of color or mixed race families, who have also chosen to purchase in the Golden Valleys or Minnetonkas, to regret not giving more consideration to urban neighborhoods due to the lack of local diversity and/or their kids' school experiences. They often voice this to us while drooling over the homes and visible black middle class residing in and around Victory Memorial/ Theo Wirth parkways-- which are in (gasp!) North Minneapolis.

Last edited by Camden Northsider; 08-11-2016 at 11:37 PM..

Old 08-12-2016, 07:43 AM

256 posts, read 286,799 times
Note the way I phrased my response to the OP: "if you're just moving to the area." (Also, my trepidation in "trashtalking" the Northside to begin with.) If someone is moving to an area from overseas, they are going to have quite limited ability to come "location scout" for a new home, so in this situation it's best to give a general impression to help them make an informed decision. If you've lived in the area for some time and have a feel for the different neighborhoods, then you're in a much better position to decide the pros/cons for yourself.

I apologize for any hurt feelings, but I've known dozens of people in similar situations as the OP (most of them as students/adjuncts at the U) who moved to certain areas of the Cities because the price was right, only to have to move again within the year (or wish they could) because of crime/safety concerns. No doubt there are great neighborhoods to be found in almost every area, but if you're relying solely on Zillow and Google Maps to check out an area from 5,000 miles away, it's a lot harder to know whether you'll be landing in one of them or not.

Old 08-12-2016, 08:11 AM

1,500 posts, read 1,770,951 times
Okay well that was a punch to the gut. Yes this whole white versus black thing has literally gotten to the point of evoking a visceral response. I grew up in a small town in central Minnesota where my english teacher cautioned us was "very vanilla" and we would be in for a culture shock upon leaving. I can assure you that even there I never heard of racism. I couldn't imagine anyone doing such a thing and if someone did say or do something purely out of racial hate, no one would tolerate it. The twin cities are no different.

As for worrying about your husband. I don't think any of us can go everywhere in this country without some sort of bias against us. Heck all humans are biased no matter who it is. All we can do is live righteously and do the best we can. Even then, myself included, we can be targeted for an offense but in the end justice will prevail. That being said of all the major cities I've lived in (including living in NYC) and visited the Twin Cities by and far has the most integrated, tolerant culture of various races.

Old 08-24-2016, 07:18 AM

3 posts, read 2,663 times
Check out St. Louis Park! It's just outside Minneapolis. The schools are great, and the town is racially diverse. Lots of mixed families and biracial kids. With your (enviable!) budget, you could afford the nicest neighborhoods in town -- Fern Hill, Browndale, or Minnikada Vista -- but there aren't any "bad' neighborhoods in SLP.

Old 08-25-2016, 10:45 AM

3,412 posts, read 5,120,782 times
The Twin Cities are very "northern" racist. They won't say anything to your face, but they will treat you differently based on your skin color. You will be better off in a more diverse city like Cleveland, where there are lots of Black professionals, and a lot of integration.

Old 08-25-2016, 10:50 AM

3,412 posts, read 5,120,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minntoaz View Post
Okay well that was a punch to the gut. Yes this whole white versus black thing has literally gotten to the point of evoking a visceral response. I grew up in a small town in central Minnesota where my english teacher cautioned us was "very vanilla" and we would be in for a culture shock upon leaving. I can assure you that even there I never heard of racism. I couldn't imagine anyone doing such a thing and if someone did say or do something purely out of racial hate, no one would tolerate it. The twin cities are no different.

As for worrying about your husband. I don't think any of us can go everywhere in this country without some sort of bias against us. Heck all humans are biased no matter who it is. All we can do is live righteously and do the best we can. Even then, myself included, we can be targeted for an offense but in the end justice will prevail. That being said of all the major cities I've lived in (including living in NYC) and visited the Twin Cities by and far has the most integrated, tolerant culture of various races.
LOL, typical delusional Minnesota homer. The Twin Cities are more integrated than NYC? Give me a break. Why does Minnesota have one of the highest Black to White incarceration ratios of any state in America? What Explains Persistent Racial Disproportionality in Minnesota
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul