Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 12:56 PM

264 posts, read 312,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre000 View Post
So a group of people who obstruct their daily commute or weekend shopping at the MoA makes them less supportive of ending racism?
For me personally, it is not obstructing commute but rather throwing rocks and other objects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2016, 01:19 PM

152 posts, read 289,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
There are good reasons to take white Americans to task for being indifferent to the problem. But, what is the ultimate result? A moral victory.

Moderate white Americans sort of remind me of moderate Muslims, in that when pressed on "terrorism" they condem it, but don't know what they at an individual level can do to stop it? I think it comes down to the question what is the specific ask? As I stated above I think it is a tangible criminal justice reform agenda. IMO, we should focus on themes of unity and equality to rally support for tangible reforms.
Nicely said. White Americans hold a lot of political power in this country. They need to voice their concerns with their local leaders, mayors, council members, state reps. There the ones who control the police departments. Some real police reform (and maybe some drug criminalization reform), would be a good start.

I hear comments like "I just wanna drive my car right through them...", even in mild jest, ugh. Stop.

Old 07-15-2016, 04:03 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,648,524 times
Quote:
I hear this too and I'm at a loss. So a group of people who obstruct their daily commute or weekend shopping at the MoA makes them less supportive of ending racism? "Hey I see BLM is blocking another highway during rush hour, so now I'm not gonna care when a cop shoots another African-American..." That's moderate white America for you I guess. Protest away, just don't interfere with my peaceful social order. Sorry you can't find justice in this world, but my commute is more important than your little cause.

It's sad that it takes blocking highways to get the rest of the country's attention. But I think that's where we are as a county at the moment. Police departments don't get it. The country's white political leadership doesn't get it. And certainly white moderate America doesn't either.
No. My point was taken out of context. Just because one does not support the dangerous shut down of major freeways does not mean that person supports racism.

Also, if they are going to shut things down, why not do it in the suburbs, where most of the people that are indifferent live, why make it harder for businesses that remain in the central business district by shutting down 35W or the light rail line? That's what I mean by hurting the community. Will things get better for much of the black population in our region if businesses move back out to the burbs and quit moving back Downtown and the tax base of the inner city is eroded? I don't think so. There are many ways that a political movement can be in the spotlight without pissing off most of the people in a region.

Old 07-15-2016, 07:55 PM

I hate racism. I hate when cops shoot blacks. I don't care what color skin you have. But don't shut down my highways to make your case against it. Nuts to that I say.

The candlelight vigils aren't doing a damn thing. If I'm a POC I don't care if I **** off white moderate America. They've been indifferent to the problems the black community has long been dealing with for decades. If the rest of America doesn't want to support justice for murdered blacks at the hands of the police because of highway protests, I doubt they sincerely want any justice for them at all.

I know many would be quick to say otherwise, but I just don't f-ing believe em.

Old 07-15-2016, 08:13 PM

Quote:
I hate racism. I hate when cops shoot blacks. I don't care what color skin you have. But don't shut down my highways to make your case against it. Nuts to that I say.

The candlelight vigils aren't doing a damn thing. If I'm a POC I don't care if I **** off white moderate America. They've been indifferent to the problems the black community has long been dealing with for decades. If the rest of America doesn't want to support justice for murdered blacks at the hands of the police because of highway protests, I doubt they sincerely want any justice for them at all.

I know many would be quick to say otherwise, but I just don't f-ing believe em.
Let's shut down the freeways because of injustices the LGBT people face and injustices that Muslims face and that starving people in Africa face and that abused animals face. Lets just shut it all down, abandon our cities and live as hunters and gathers. Because it's only white moderate people that are trying to get to work in the morning to pay their bills and feed their kids. Only prejudiced white, hispanic and asian people need trains, airports and highways.

Old 07-15-2016, 09:16 PM

Yup, there it is. I want the world to be better, but I'm just not willing to disrupt my daily life in order to get it.

No one is advocating shutting down the highways permanently. No one is saying lets become cavemen. Your arguments are ridiculous.

They're simply trying to get their message heard. Again, it's unfortunate that this kind of protest is what it takes to get the word out. But it's working. At least the average American is finally witnessing it first hand. They're not just reading about it in some online news article or watching it on some news show. They're seeing a group of people who are so fed up that this is what they're willing to do to make you take notice.

Old 07-15-2016, 10:43 PM

I don't think my argument is ridiculous. Why should it not be the norm than for any group to protest any injustice? Maybe if it works for BLM it will work for others? I just think it's a slippery slope and bad for the inner city and the groups mission. Who's to say PETA or some church group or neo-nazi group or any other group shouldn't start shutting down freeways and airports?
We need thoughtful dialogue. The LGBT community has made great strides the past few decades and did not do it by shutting down infrastructure - and they had many people using religious text condemn them. I think that any movement can do the same without creating a bunch of hostile feelings because of their tactics. Bring it to city hall, the Capitol, to people that make the decisions, help recruit more people of color to join the police force. There are plenty of legal and safe ways to bring about change.

Last edited by Minnesota Spring; 07-15-2016 at 11:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul